Page 59 of 63 FirstFirst ... 949555657585960616263 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Stegman drawing Mary Jane was one of the better parts of the Superior Spider-Man launch, at least in my view.
    The art was great. The content...eh.
    As far as I'm concerned, Stegman can draw MJ anytime he's available...

"Good-bye. Good luck. Good riddance."

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post

Stegman’s MJ is one of the greats.
    Join the "Spider-Fam" Community! - Celebrating Love and Advocating for Our Hero to Beat the Devil! - https://discord.gg/VQ2mHzBBFu

Ponytail MJ can be very effective when used properly.

(It was also much better on Spinneret than the bun).

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Ponytail MJ can be very effective when used properly.
    Peter agrees too.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    Peter agrees too.
    MJ can do just about anything, and Peter would be into it.

(But yes, the ponytail can be very effective.)

Mighty Member

One of the most egregious things that occurred with MJ'S character was way back in the Clone Saga where she's pregnant with she and Peter's child they're all giddy about it and then later on she miscarries the child. That is just so...tasteless of them to do that. Reprehensible character assassination right there. I'm surprised there wasn't some conflict with the writers/editors over that.

^^^Truly one of the saddest moments in comic book history (IMHO):

"Good-bye. Good luck. Good riddance."

Ultimate Spider-Man #5. Art by Stephen Segovia

https://twitter.com/itsOmak_/status/1784224411236577478

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post
    Ultimate Spider-Man #5. Art by Stephen Segovia

https://twitter.com/itsOmak_/status/1784224411236577478
    Spidey **** + ripped jeans = one of MJ's most consistent outfits .

I missed this big spider moment. What's up with the sinister nurse/doc with cart?
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    I missed this big spider moment. What's up with the sinister nurse/doc with cart?
    She worked for Norman Osborn, and I believed she poisoned MJ.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    The intent was to leave open the possibility (for fans to have as headcanon) that the baby was still alive and had been kidnapped.
    Petrus Maria Johannaque sunt nubendi

Quote Originally Posted by Daibhidh View Post
    The intent was to leave open the possibility (for fans to have as headcanon) that the baby was still alive and had been kidnapped.
    The Spider-Girl continuity outright goes with that answer.
    Join the "Spider-Fam" Community! - Celebrating Love and Advocating for Our Hero to Beat the Devil! - https://discord.gg/VQ2mHzBBFu

Extraordinary Member

It’s weird how much this highlights the difference in creative philosophies between the 90’s and the 10’s/early 20’s.

You could argue that editorial is being capriciously bossy towards creators who don’t follow their opinion, “arguing” with the audience, and outright hostile to the idea of Peter having a family both then and now - and you could maybe even argue that the 90’s saw a more overtly destructive and capricious type of management, considering that this was 90’s Marvel hurtling the industry into its near death based off marketing driven thought colliding with a speculation boom.

...But the creative philosophy of the 90’s writers, having been recruited and trained in the earlier decade that was positive towards Peter’s growth and if anything utterly convicted in how positive growth and change were industry wide, translates editorial’s consistent hatred of the idea in completely different ways.

The Clone Saga is a mess of frustrated editorial demands and arguably equally reliant on soap opera craziness as the current run... but the writers translated that into “mere” soap opera hokum that strains credulity, but still remains a largely human story with semi-plausible and fleshed out execution that would be easy to undo without much fuss.

That’s a totally different world from this current era, where writers are recruited and encouraged to approach things with a shallowed, more fantastical but less fleshe our approach that strains the suspension of disbelief that any of this stuff will matter in the long run, or that it’s ridiculousness will even be acknowledged.

I mean, in both cases, editorial’s ordering or whole heartedly approving cruelty upon MJ to try and keep Peter from getting a family, but in one it’s a human story, and in the other it’s a bunch of archetypes jerked around in an illogical and clearly artificial way.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    One of the most egregious things that occurred with MJ'S character was way back in the Clone Saga where she's pregnant with she and Peter's child they're all giddy about it and then later on she miscarries the child. That is just so...tasteless of them to do that. Reprehensible character assassination right there. I'm surprised there wasn't some conflict with the writers/editors over that.

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    It’s weird how much this highlights the difference in creative philosophies between the 90’s and the 10’s/early 20’s.

You could argue that editorial is being capriciously bossy towards creators who don’t follow their opinion, “arguing” with the audience, and outright hostile to the idea of Peter having a family both then and now - and you could maybe even argue that the 90’s saw a more overtly destructive and capricious type of management, considering that this was 90’s Marvel hurtling the industry into its near death based off marketing driven thought colliding with a speculation boom.

...But the creative philosophy of the 90’s writers, having been recruited and trained in the earlier decade that was positive towards Peter’s growth and if anything utterly convicted in how positive growth and change were industry wide, translates editorial’s consistent hatred of the idea in completely different ways.

The Clone Saga is a mess of frustrated editorial demands and arguably equally reliant on soap opera craziness as the current run... but the writers translated that into “mere” soap opera hokum that strains credulity, but still remains a largely human story with semi-plausible and fleshed out execution that would be easy to undo without much fuss.

That’s a totally different world from this current era, where writers are recruited and encouraged to approach things with a shallowed, more fantastical but less fleshe our approach that strains the suspension of disbelief that any of this stuff will matter in the long run, or that it’s ridiculousness will even be acknowledged.

I mean, in both cases, editorial’s ordering or whole heartedly approving cruelty upon MJ to try and keep Peter from getting a family, but in one it’s a human story, and in the other it’s a bunch of archetypes jerked around in an illogical and clearly artificial way.
    This. All of this.
    The spider is always on the hunt.