Page 6 of 60 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I can't believe they're actually advertising the Jackpot one-shot with this:

Wow, this is awful, so corny and not in a good way...
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Let them kill Jackpot. I'm perfectly fine with anti-hype. I can't imagine anyone who wasn't previously aware of Jackpot wanting to pick up the one-shot based on that ad. The costume continues to look like something left in a litter box (when people crop the image, those ski goggles are absolutely awful), and the word balloon makes the book sound like you'll lose brain cells reading it.
    Last edited by TinkerSpider; 01-04-2024 at 04:56 PM.
    “I always figured if I were a superhero, there’s no way on God's earth that I'm gonna pal around with some teenager."

— Stan Lee

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    There is no God.
    If there is, we have long since been forsaken. In the words of Dante's Inferno, "Abandon all hope, ye who enter here."
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerSpider View Post
    Let them kill Jackpot. I'm perfectly fine with anti-hype. I can't imagine anyone who wasn't previously aware of Jackpot wanting to pick up the one-shot based on that ad. The costume continues to look like something left in litter box (when people crop the image, those ski goggles are absolutely awful), and the word balloon makes the book sound like you'll lose brain cells reading it.
    It's almost kind of sad how much they seem to have sabotaged this book from the outset and I'm not even a fan of this direction at all.

Spectacular Member 9AlphaOmega1's Avatar

I can't believe they're actually advertising the Jackpot one-shot with this:

I was still on the fence on whether or not to get, when I saw Paul, I was not going to get, this makes me glad I am not getting it. This is literally low hanging fruit and proves once an for all is the reason on why Marvel is making her a superhero, was because of something she said, so much the house of idea.

Let them kill Jackpot. I'm perfectly fine with anti-hype. I can't imagine anyone who wasn't previously aware of Jackpot wanting to pick up the one-shot based on that ad. The costume continues to look like something left in litter box (when people crop the image, those ski goggles are absolutely awful), and the word balloon makes the book sound like you'll lose brain cells reading it.
    That costume looks like it came from a licensed comic book pack-in for a playing card company's video game: Kids, ask your parents to buy you the new Bicycle Playing Cards presents JACKPOT, GIRL SUPERHERO video game cartridge for your Nintendo Entertainments System and Sega Genesis video game consoles!

Next week will be my first trip back to the comic shop in YEARS and I hope I find more than Ultimate Spider-Man to help wash away the cynicism and negativity current Marvel stuff pulls outta me.

At this point I don't know why I bother. You're all giving this the attention Marvel wants.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MisterTorgo View Post
    That costume looks like it came from a licensed comic book pack-in for a playing card company's video game: Kids, ask your parents to buy you the new Bicycle Playing Cards presents JACKPOT, GIRL SUPERHERO video game cartridge for your Nintendo Entertainments System and Sega Genesis video game consoles!

Next week will be my first trip back to the comic shop in YEARS and I hope I find more than Ultimate Spider-Man to help wash away the cynicism and negativity current Marvel stuff pulls outta me.
    I'm also going to my LCS to pick up Ultimate even though I have it on mail order. And my LCS is a ComicsHub reporting store, so I'm going to do my best to make sure ASM doesn't take the top spot on that chart LOL (which is meaningless but people like to point at it anyway).

"Face it Criminals Jackpot's About to Hit You!" sounds like those old corny jokes about Soviet Russia: "In the US you hit the jackpot, in Soviet Russia the jackpot hit you!"

The cringe is strong.
    “I always figured if I were a superhero, there’s no way on God's earth that I'm gonna pal around with some teenager."

— Stan Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    At this point I don't know why I bother. You're all giving this the attention Marvel wants.
    Well, it's really the only thing with 616 MJ worth talking about right now (not that it's worth much, arguably).

I'm also going to my LCS to pick up Ultimate even though I have it on mail order. And my LCS is a ComicsHub reporting store, so I'm going to do my best to make sure ASM doesn't take the top spot on that chart LOL (which is meaningless but people like to point at it anyway).

"Face it Criminals Jackpot's About to Hit You!" sounds like those old corny jokes about Soviet Russia: "In the US you hit the jackpot, in Soviet Russia the jackpot hit you!"

The cringe is strong.
    HA! I thought of Yakov Smirnoff, too, when I read that!

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    I wouldn't think clowning this stuff in the closed loop of a comic book forum likely translates to sales for this. Anyone who sees the attention it gets here has likely already decided whether they're in or out of that book, I'd wager. Out on twitter or Facebook, is likely another story.

Well, it's really the only thing with 616 MJ worth talking about right now (not that it's worth much, arguably).
    It's still giving it oxygen. I don't know how many times I have to post messages from writers and editors who talk about how "enraged readers are engaged readers" and this is their motivation for doing things like this. And far too many readers play right into their hands.

Don't focus on the cringe. Focus on the positivity. We're so close to the launch of USM. (And I'm sure USM will have its own brand of drama that will enrage/engage readers. But I'm looking forward to discovering what that is.)

Quote Originally Posted by MisterTorgo View Post
    I wouldn't think clowning this stuff in the closed loop of a comic book forum likely translates to sales for this. Anyone who sees the attention it gets here has likely already decided whether they're in or out of that book, I'd wager. Out on twitter or Facebook, is likely another story.
    This is still a public forum and what happens here does get attention elsewhere. (And other places are acting similarly to here.)
    Last edited by Kevinroc; 01-04-2024 at 05:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    This is so bad...it's like they're trolling themselves...

Mighty Member

I'd be surprised if Jackpot sells well regardless of any discussion. There's really no market for this book. Seems like they've already alienated the totality of MJ's fanbase with the Wells run. Doubt casual Spider-man fans would be intrigued enough to pick up a Mary Jane book like this. (Would they even realize this is supposed to be Mary Jane?) The poor costume design certainly won't help either. So that leaves... fans of Wells' Amazing Spider-man run? (Are many of them actually going to spend money on a side title about the titular character's ex written by someone else?)
    Last edited by Spider-Tiger; 01-04-2024 at 05:58 PM.

I do think the Jackpot concept could work with a better costume, better thought-out but similar powers, and the subtraction of Paul with the addition of Peter or maybe Felicia in his place. As things now stand, it is DOA IMHO.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."