Page 22 of 29 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223242526 ... LastLast

I'm like the only one who was super creeped out by Torque.

I'd love it if they brought Shawn back and forced her and Babs together.

I feel like the rogues gallery discourse is just overblown. No character created or has had a consistent solo in the time Nightwing has has had one, basically since the mid 90s, has a rogues gallery that is any better than Nightwing's. Most rogues galleries that people talk about were grandfathered in from decades ago when it was much easier to create lasting villains. I mean Deadpool is probably the biggest solo character from the period I'm talking about and he doesn't have some stellar rogues gallery but it doesn't prevent him from being one of the biggest characters in comics. Writers just use already big established villains for him to write their stories. Sure, they throw in some original villains, but it doesn't feel like there is this narrative in his community where people are constantly complaining about his rogues gallery. I feel like the rogues gallery discourse is just a symptom from Nightwing not having any easily identifiable marquee stories.

I've said this many times now, but there is no great Nightwing/Deathstroke story. If you figure out that it would be far more influential than any new villain. The same with Joker, Penguin, or any other big villain. If the story is great no one is going to care if the villains is more of a Titans, Batman, or whoever's villains first. You should use resources across all of the DCU instead of limiting yourself. Sure, maybe writers would like to do this more but can't because of editorial, but I don't know.
    Last edited by Badou; 04-03-2024 at 06:32 PM.

I think there is an opportunity in the next run to use Deathstroke since it doesn't seem like anybody else is interested in using him right now.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Reddead View Post
    I think there is an opportunity in the next run to use Deathstroke since it doesn't seem like anybody else is interested in using him right now.
    To do what? Another Dark crisis. There is nothing left to do with deathstroke, I’d rather he’d die and bring grant back and they caught him at least he’d be fresh person repeating the same arc

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    To do what? Another Dark crisis. There is nothing left to do with deathstroke, I’d rather he’d die and bring grant back and they caught him at least he’d be fresh person repeating the same arc
    If I had to suffer through another Bludhaven and Blockbuster story I think taking another swing at Deathstroke is reasonable. The thing is Deathstroke is an A List villain and despite there long history there are zero great Nightwing/Deathstroke stories. It's a glaring hole in Nigtwing's catalogue. People point to Judas Contract, but that is not a Dick Grayson story when you actually read it.

If you want to bring Grant back that is fine, but I don't think removing a top tier villain in Deathstroke helps any. Especially if you just want to replace him with a lesser version of the character. I'm just over people complaining about rogues, especially bottom of the barrel ones. Write a great story with a top end villain and that will push the character forward in a way that a story with a far lesser villain can't.

The Judas Contract is kinda weird. It has a pivoting moment in DC history (Dick Grayson becomes Nightwing) yet the core of the story is really about the Beast Boy/Terra/Deathstroke triangle, which is also iconic but for other reasons.

Even the issue where Dick actually becomes Nightwing it's really more about Deathstroke's backstory.

Quote Originally Posted by Reddead View Post
    The Judas Contract is kinda weird. It has a pivoting moment in DC history (Dick Grayson becomes Nightwing) yet the core of the story is really about the Beast Boy/Terra/Deathstroke triangle, which is also iconic but for other reasons.

Even the issue where Dick actually becomes Nightwing it's really more about Deathstroke's backstory.
    I know, right?! Even during the BIG unveiling, Dick had to share the page with Jericho (LOL):
    Last edited by K7P5V; 04-04-2024 at 12:10 AM. Reason: Added Clarification.
    "Good-bye. Good luck. Good riddance."

Things were generally more anticlimactic back in the day.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    I've said this many times now, but there is no great Nightwing/Deathstroke story.
    I don't think there should be one, Deathstroke is just one powerlevel above what any Batfamily member (including Batman himself) should be able to go up against solo.

He is supposed to a be a villain who is able to go up against an entire team of Titans.

Extraordinary Member

If I had to suffer through another Bludhaven and Blockbuster story I think taking another swing at Deathstroke is reasonable. The thing is Deathstroke is an A List villain and despite there long history there are zero great Nightwing/Deathstroke stories. It's a glaring hole in Nigtwing's catalogue. People point to Judas Contract, but that is not a Dick Grayson story when you actually read it.

If you want to bring Grant back that is fine, but I don't think removing a top tier villain in Deathstroke helps any. Especially if you just want to replace him with a lesser version of the character. I'm just over people complaining about rogues, especially bottom of the barrel ones. Write a great story with a top end villain and that will push the character forward in a way that a story with a far lesser villain can't.
    Dark Crisis wasnt that long ago. Is it time for for another climatic fight scene, thats all were gonna get from him. Show up nerf the titans then fight Dick. I fell for the Deathstroke/Slade hype when I was younger and I've read the solos there nothing there. He'd be better off as the dragon for someone else which at his best he has been

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    I don't think there should be one, Deathstroke is just one powerlevel above what any Batfamily member (including Batman himself) should be able to go up against solo.

He is supposed to a be a villain who is able to go up against an entire team of Titans.
    But he never really was able to without, batmaning/nerfing them Donna can moove at the speed of hermes but can still be suprised by slade? How does it make sense? There experienced heroes and majority of the team demigods. Its only fun to fight Nightwing

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    But he never really was able to without, batmaning/nerfing them Donna can moove at the speed of hermes but can still be suprised by slade?
    But Dick Fighting Slade makes also as much sense as Slade Fighting Donna.

Slade's serum has iirc made him 10 times stronger, faster and more durable, I know writers often treat him like he was basically the equivalent of Batman, but Deathstroke is supposed to be way more powerfull than that.

I feel like the rogues gallery discourse is just overblown. No character created or has had a consistent solo in the time Nightwing has has had one, basically since the mid 90s, has a rogues gallery that is any better than Nightwing's. Most rogues galleries that people talk about were grandfathered in from decades ago when it was much easier to create lasting villains. I mean Deadpool is probably the biggest solo character from the period I'm talking about and he doesn't have some stellar rogues gallery but it doesn't prevent him from being one of the biggest characters in comics. Writers just use already big established villains for him to write their stories. Sure, they throw in some original villains, but it doesn't feel like there is this narrative in his community where people are constantly complaining about his rogues gallery. I feel like the rogues gallery discourse is just a symptom from Nightwing not having any easily identifiable marquee stories.

I've said this many times now, but there is no great Nightwing/Deathstroke story. If you figure out that it would be far more influential than any new villain. The same with Joker, Penguin, or any other big villain. If the story is great no one is going to care if the villains is more of a Titans, Batman, or whoever's villains first. You should use resources across all of the DCU instead of limiting yourself. Sure, maybe writers would like to do this more but can't because of editorial, but I don't know.
    Very good point. People often mention Damian on DC's side as the only new character created in 21st century who really took off. Do we have any new villains that really connected with people? Batman Who Laughs supposedly moved units, but he was built entirely around crossover events. I remember thinking that Atrocitus was next big thing and he felt like it for a while, but he has been pretty much forgotten last few years.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Very good point. People often mention Damian on DC's side as the only new character created in 21st century who really took off. Do we have any new villains that really connected with people? Batman Who Laughs supposedly moved units, but he was built entirely around crossover events. I remember thinking that Atrocitus was next big thing and he felt like it for a while, but he has been pretty much forgotten last few years.
    Punchline? Not that her comic lasted long.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Punchline? Not that her comic lasted long.
    They tried to push her for a while, but I feel like most readers just see her as a lazy attempt to replace Harley.
    Last edited by ayanestar; 04-12-2024 at 07:00 AM.