Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 192526272829

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    ...Why should we care about this?

I don't think Bea is high up on most peoples' favorite supporting characters list and suddenly she's getting her own story.
    Because people wanted to pretend Bea was some worthwhile character of the Ric era even though in reality she was a generic nothing burger no one would spend a dime on.

Yeah, i don't know why they choose to do a entire annual for her. The last one being about Heartless made sense, but this...

The pirate arc was a complete waste and while i like the Hold as an concept, it did nothing to make me care about Bea.

I would rather see an annual about Barbara or Melinda.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nș8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    Yeah, i don't know why they choose to do a entire annual for her. The last one being about Heartless made sense, but this...

The pirate arc was a complete waste and while i like the Hold as an concept, it did nothing to make me care about Bea.

I would rather see an annual about Barbara or Melinda.
    Babs has basically just been Dick's supportive girlfriend so something that develops her solo in Bludhaven would be nice but even as someone who doesn't like the character I can agree that Melinda by virtue of her role in the book would be better served with an annual focused on her and her backstory than Bea.

I do think the main objective is about seeing what Moore can do as a writer and artist.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Yeah this is a major waste of an annual.

Like if you wanted to do more with the pirate stuff I feel like it would need to be more creative than just showing Bea more.

Travis Moore co-created Bea's character, right? So I guess he just wanted to do something with the character he created over someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    I do think the main objective is about seeing what Moore can do as a writer and artist.
    This is the only thing that makes sense. Him being Bea's creator and recent Pirates arc makes it easier to publish it in Nightwing Annual as opposed to some pointless anthology that nobody reads.

Extraordinary Member

Because people wanted to pretend Bea was some worthwhile character of the Ric era even though in reality she was a generic nothing burger no one would spend a dime on.
    I definitely wasn’t a fan of her when she entered. I could spot the throwaway POC gf trope from her entrance and I am not proud of that. If this story debuted her before 2009 I’m not sure she would be alive, I nearly felt she was marked for death as we came to a close on the ric arc. However, I do like the ideas of the HOLD and building more lore to Bludhaven, but for her to truly not end up lost among a long list of supporting civilians characters perhaps she should be mingling with Atlanteans. As a pirate queen I imagine a lot of respect for the seas.

Feels like that would be better served on a book with a more interesting premise/character.

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    I definitely wasn’t a fan of her when she entered. I could spot the throwaway POC gf trope from her entrance and I am not proud of that. If this story debuted her before 2009 I’m not sure she would be alive, I nearly felt she was marked for death as we came to a close on the ric arc. However, I do like the ideas of the HOLD and building more lore to Bludhaven, but for her to truly not end up lost among a long list of supporting civilians characters perhaps she should be mingling with Atlanteans. As a pirate queen I imagine a lot of respect for the seas.
    Considering how "well" Aquaman is doing she probably has better chance surviving as Nightwing's civilian supporting character.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    Yeah this is a major waste of an annual.
    I think making it a back up story would have made more sense.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Considering how "well" Aquaman is doing she probably has better chance surviving as Nightwing's civilian supporting character.
    Well I mean establishing connections for the future
    Bludhaven is a port town

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    I think making it a back up story would have made more sense.
    Could've easily been a three-part backup, true. Could've run alongside the arc she returned in.

And it's actually kind of funny - it turns out that neither Ric nor Bea knew each other's real self! Bea isn't even her real name (the preview reveals it's Destiny), and Dick still doesn't know that.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Well prior to this annual, Bea Bennett was my favorite love interest for RicDick. But they just HAD to make it about something other than the winning natural chemistry in the original telling. Oh well.

To be clear, I enjoyed the story and the callbacks to GRAYSON. I also love the idea of a new action femme of color. I just wish that the choice to ugly up her relationship with RicDick had not been such.

But I will definitely be on the lookout for more Bea!
    Last edited by Stanlos; Yesterday at 02:07 AM.