Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Nightwing Year One is great, and Dixon knows how to characterize Dick very well.

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    I dont know that I would have devoted an entire annual to her though...maybe a back up or two.
    I don't know why the sudden interest that the creative team has for Bea. She is not interesting and the pirate arc was the worst one of Taylor's run by far.

I would rather the annual be about Melinda. It could be great to see Melinda and Dick actually bonding and making us learn more about her. And Taylor created the character, she should get more attention since he made a point of making her part of Dick's family.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nș8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    I don't know why the sudden interest that the creative team has for Bea. She is not interesting and the pirate arc was the worst one of Taylor's run by far.

I would rather the annual be about Melinda. It could be great to see Melinda and Dick actually bonding and making us learn more about her. And Taylor created the character, she should get more attention since he made a point of making her part of Dick's family.
    Or maybe add some complexity or grey aspects to Melinda, which would be more interesting to me than trying to force a sibling dynamic between the two.

It should be noted the Annual is being drawn and written by Travis Moore. Moore was who they sold as the Ric era artist. Even though he would only do like one issue here and there, or half an issue even. He might be co-creator of Bea though nonetheless.

I guess Moore co-created her, so maybe there is more interest from him in wanting to do more with her.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Yeah that is a real waste to focus on an annual over. Even Melinda would be better cause at least that could finally give an underused character some focus and potential development.

The Year One box set is dope though, definitely will be getting that.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    But there are like so many other characters they could do this with...
    That would be true of whoever they used. And the leader of a secret pirate society is more interesting to me than bringing back Torque or Nite-Wing or someone.

I agree with you that it's odd how totally Melinda's dropped out of focus, mind. She's basically just The Contact With The Establishment now.

Eeh, actually i wouldn't mind them revisiting Nite-Wing. He was kind of before his time.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    It should be noted the Annual is being drawn and written by Travis Moore. Moore was who they sold as the Ric era artist. Even though he would only do like one issue here and there, or half an issue even. He might be co-creator of Bea though nonetheless.
    Well, if the creator is invested in her, sure, but I'm not sure if that's worth wasting an annual on.

Not that a Bea one-shot would sell.
    Quote Originally Posted by Claude View Post
    That would be true of whoever they used. And the leader of a secret pirate society is more interesting to me than bringing back Torque or Nite-Wing or someone.

I agree with you that it's odd how totally Melinda's dropped out of focus, mind. She's basically just The Contact With The Establishment now.
    Well, Taylor couldn't do much interesting with it, so not sure if Moore will be much better.

The entire execution around Melinda's been pretty half-baked.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post

Yeah does she need the entire annual, Mabey if they have a third to her I’d think okay but a whole annual is crazy especially after we just finished an arc with her.

Honestly give Babs the annual, it's not like there's a Batgirl book going on right now.

hmmm a thought just occurred to me... Dick Grayson obviously knows about Kal-El and Van-Zee using Nightwing before he did. But... does he know about Powergirl using the name?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Honestly give Babs the annual, it's not like there's a Batgirl book going on right now.
    Better yet split it among his female supporting characters like Babs, Bea and Melinda , stories in Bludhaven. That’s a premise. An annual is a lot of pages for a character that debuted in an infamous arc. The blurb also provides no hook for us readers, and rather makes us think Nightwing will have no presence in the story at all.

The most I hope to get out of this is Bludhaven lore possibly. I feel bad being not excited for this but it’s such an odd choice.

Or just do a Babs and Starfire story. That feels like the easiest one to do. It feels like this is the only time you'll ever have the two of them living in the same city and possibly even the same building together and it would be a bit of a waste not to do something with them. I know Taylor has said he doesn't want to do anything drama related with them, which is reasonable, but doing a story that transitions them from having no relationship, or at least an awkward one, to having a more friendly relationship would be something over just skipping to them being randomly friendly with each other without any real interaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Claude View Post
    What's everyone's thoughts on Nightwing Year One, btw? I remember thinking that it wasn't great, apart from the Superman issue - which was excellent.
    Completely understandable. Though, that team-up with Superman is an All-Time Favorite (IMHO):

Last edited by K7P5V; 01-20-2024 at 02:52 AM. Reason: Made Adjustments.
    "Good-bye. Good luck. Good riddance."