Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Incredible Member SplinteringHeart's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    I am, in a good way. Knowing a little bit about the German American Bund movement and Myer Lansky's retaliation against them, I like this arc and especially what happens this issue. There really was a Bund movement rally at MSG. The quoted line that JMS provides was actually said. Myer Lansky broke up some Bund movement rallies fairly brutally. Within the midst of this history, JMS puts Steve Rogers in it. There was a cool parallelism towards the end.

Am I a huge fan of JMS' writing? Overall, yes. Is it fantastically rich and poetic? Is JMS a modern wordsmith? I don't feel he is. The language is actually pretty basic. JMS' works remind me of his work on Ghostbusters or Babylon 5. The language is simple stuff.

BUT, JMS' concepts are intriguing. Not out there like Grant Morrison but enough to go "hey, this is pretty interesting." And enough to say hey I'm looking forward to the next issue. And enough to say hey you know what, I hope JMS stays a while longer on Captain America.
    I've just read #5..I'm enjoying this run, and JMS's angle..it's interesting that as Tien mentions, there's a basis of reality, a historical subtext going on with Bund and Myer Lansky and the rally...the back and forth in time with Steve and Cap works well too..reaffirming Steve's sensibilities that makes cap a "sentinel of liberty".....being British I'm mindful though that it took a little while beyond 1939 for the US to "fully" commit to fight the Nazis...not a criticism, just a slight reservation on the " yeah, go Steve, sock it to 'em"...

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SplinteringHeart View Post
    I've just read #5..I'm enjoying this run, and JMS's angle..it's interesting that as Tien mentions, there's a basis of reality, a historical subtext going on with Bund and Myer Lansky and the rally...the back and forth in time with Steve and Cap works well too..reaffirming Steve's sensibilities that makes cap a "sentinel of liberty".....being British I'm mindful though that it took a little while beyond 1939 for the US to "fully" commit to fight the Nazis...not a criticism, just a slight reservation on the " yeah, go Steve, sock it to 'em"...
    I'd blame that last part on a contingent of American power brokers that were trying to hedge their bets and influencing politicians into holding off on jumping into that fight, particularly in light of how many of them were at the very least fascist-sympathetic if not Nazi-adjacent in their worldviews. Some were very blatantly pro-Nazi, especially if looking back at some of the (in)famous media personalities of that period. At least, that would be my recollection.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    I'd blame that last part on a contingent of American power brokers that were trying to hedge their bets and influencing politicians into holding off on jumping into that fight, particularly in light of how many of them were at the very least fascist-sympathetic if not Nazi-adjacent in their worldviews. Some were very blatantly pro-Nazi, especially if looking back at some of the (in)famous media personalities of that period. At least, that would be my recollection.
    Yes, we had similar..like the Bund we had the "British Union of Fascists" headed by a "character" called Oswald Moseley...fortunately they were famously met physically on the streets and "sent packing"...and the "powers that be" were a little bit slow to face up to Hitler until Poland for probably similar "economic" reasons that you mention Huntsman....it ended up on our doorstep however so we had to respond...and we did eventually have financial support (with ships, weapons etc) from the US, ahead of the greater involvement from 1941...
    Last edited by SplinteringHeart; 01-10-2024 at 03:48 AM.

I like the mention of the Kirby cover with Cap punching Hitler, that is a classic....

For modern day, I'd love it if someone did a cover of Cap punching Donald Trump!

Say no more....

I like the mention of the Kirby cover with Cap punching Hitler, that is a classic....

For modern day, I'd love it if someone did a cover of Cap punching Donald Trump!

Say no more....
    I'd say that if that cover was made today he should be decking Putin (both invaded a smaller and weaker neighbor, just because they had the army to do so), same as in 1940 he was decking Adolf Hitler and not Herbert Hoover.

Yes, we had similar..like the Bund we had the "British Union of Fascists" headed by a "character" called Oswald Moseley...fortunately they were famously met physically on the streets and "sent packing"...and the "powers that be" were a little bit slow to face up to Hitler until Poland for probably similar "economic" reasons that you mention Huntsman....it ended up on our doorstep however so we had to respond...and we did eventually have financial support (with ships, weapons etc) from the US, ahead of the greater involvement from 1941...
    That's some fascinating British history there, too, and on the American side, speaking of economic interests that favored Nazi Germany, there was even something called "The Business Plot," which was apparently a conspiracy by Nazi-sympathetic businessmen to have FDR assassinated in the 1930s so he could be replaced as U.S. President by a former army general . . . However, that general was Smedley Butler, who was somewhat notorious for his writing about his experiences in World War I, titled "War Is a Racket," which might well have described the military-industrial complex decades before it was formally named by Dwight Eisenhower in his parting State of the Union address, so why those businessmen thought he'd be amenable to their agenda was beyond me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Captain America View Post
    I'd say that if that cover was made today he should be decking Putin (both invaded a smaller and weaker neighbor, just because they had the army to do so), same as in 1940 he was decking Adolf Hitler and not Herbert Hoover.

I hear you there, and I can respect that, though it is a shame considering we were in an "enemy of my enemy" situation with the Russians back then vis-a-vis Nazi Germany (and the rest of the Axis Powers, like Fascist Italy and Imperial Japan, I'd add). Of course, since even in those days we were anticipating having to fight the Russians after the Nazis were taken care of, and they were most likely thinking the same about us . . . well, maybe this would be the perfect update to that very first Captain America cover.

I expected Putin to get a mention, and fair enough..but Trumpy is the more immediate threat...

whenever JMS is done, I'd like Christopher Priest to be allowed to write the ongoing title, or at least write a maxi-series involving Steve, with whatever story he'd like to tell. With lots of super villains and spy intrigue.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    whenever JMS is done, I'd like Christopher Priest to be allowed to write the ongoing title, or at least write a maxi-series involving Steve, with whatever story he'd like to tell. With lots of super villains and spy intrigue.
    That would be great, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    That would be great, too.
    I concur. Still enjoyed his previous stint with Cap

Last edited by K7P5V; 01-18-2024 at 02:12 AM. Reason: Added Clarification.
    "Good-bye. Good luck. Good riddance."

Astonishing Member

https://www.gamesradar.com/steve-rog...ica-6-preview/

Captain America 6 Preview for next week, alternating through 1939 and present day.

Quote Originally Posted by Rzerox21xx View Post

Captain America 6 Preview for next week, alternating through 1939 and present day.
    Thanks for sharing this.

Beating up fascists in any era .

Honestly that costume is less and less fitting for Sharon.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Beating up fascists in any era .

Honestly that costume is less and less fitting for Sharon.
    Yeah...Sharon becoming the new Destroyer makes no sense. "Hey random old hero dude I barely knew who just died...I will honor you...and make a spectacle of myself at your funeral doing so."
    All I wanted was to be unconditionally loved while never having to work on my flaws. Is that so much to ask?

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

The alternating between the past and present is really good visuals.