Page 14 of 45 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Yeah Duggan never failed to show why Lorna is a versatile powerhouse

Mistress of Magnetism Mitteloss's Avatar

I'm used to worrying when Lorna has big roles, but her role in FOX is quite amazing! It's everything I and I'm sure many of you had long hoped for! From the costume, the powers and the attitude!
    "We can fight all day Sunfire. But I still won't belong to anyone but myself." - Polaris, X-Men #187

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    5. She was able to fly in open space with 3 other X-men by encasing them all in a magnetic sphere. I dont know how that even works as they'd lose oxygen really fast but she did it somehow
    In theory, oxygen (O2) has paramagnetic attributes, meaning it's naturally attracted to magnetic fields. The technology isn't there yet to actually draw and retain sufficient quantities of the molecule to sustain a breathable environment -- there are thermal dynamics at work here, as well as fundamental questions as to what becomes of the carbon dioxide that people exhale in such a closed environment -- but this is comics, where liberties are often taken with real-world science. I imagine if Polaris found herself trapped at the bottom of the ocean, she could use her magnetic fields to pull enough O2 from the ocean to keep herself and her team alive for an extended period. Just make sure that someone like the Human Torch or Sunfire aren't in "flame on" mode when she does that.

Also, Polaris' magnetic fields would likely be the explanation from writers as to why she is unaffected by atmospheric pressures at depth or even on other planets. I'm not saying it's good science, but it works in the fictional world. Someone with gravity powers would be better equipped to deal with that sort of thing, but whatever works.

Lastly, don't ask me why she doesn't instantly freeze to death in the void of space, magnetic field or not. And even with a magnetic force field up 24/7, there's still a good amount of potentially lethal cosmic radiation that would penetrate her fields.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

Some suspension of disbelief is required in any comic or supernatural medium. If I can accept in reality that a little box I keep in my pocket can send and receive energy beams that let call my family or watch movies or search some ethereal, eldritch, digital reality comprised of numbers... I can certainly allow my brain to pretend the right mutant ability set will allow a powerful mutant to survive the vacuum of space.

Also, Polaris (and Magneto) have been shown manipulating gravity for various feats, so that kinda lends itself to the comment you made about gravity powers.
    Queen of Mutants, Mistress of Magnetism, Magnetrix and the MII, Pestilence of the Horsemen of Apocalypse, the Krakoan Oracle and creator of the Sanctus Sacrum Tournament Key, the Threshold Seed Shaper, Brood Queen of the Fall of the House of X, Lorna Sally Dane, Ph.D., of the House of M, Polaris of the X-Men

She is probably making her own Van Allen belt via her powers when in space. Dealing with the radiation isn't as big a feat as it first appears, the planet has been doing it for billions of years, Lorna only needs to do it for a few minutes, and on a much smaller scale.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Lastly, don't ask me why she doesn't instantly freeze to death in the void of space, magnetic field or not.
    She's hot, what more reason do you need? :P
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Quote Originally Posted by GoingGreen View Post
    Some suspension of disbelief is required in any comic or supernatural medium. If I can accept in reality that a little box I keep in my pocket can send and receive energy beams that let call my family or watch movies or search some ethereal, eldritch, digital reality comprised of numbers... I can certainly allow my brain to pretend the right mutant ability set will allow a powerful mutant to survive the vacuum of space.

Also, Polaris (and Magneto) have been shown manipulating gravity for various feats, so that kinda lends itself to the comment you made about gravity powers.
    This.
    (I tend to let myself be bothered more with physical feats, such as Wolverine's claws or where Angel's wings goes when he's drawn clearly not having them. All the rest is just "ok, this works for me")
    First Warren in Dark X-Men #1, and then Genis-Vell in Captain Marvel #1. Seriously, Marvel?!
    Avatar reflecting my mood. I couldn't stand the sunny high-flying Angel one anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulsword323 View Post
    Lorna was the highlight in today's issue.

Duggan does a good job balancing Lorna's ruthlessness. Polaris is willing, and there to kill, but isn't absent of morality. It's a hard a needle to thread, and I think Gerry did a good job with it. A lot of references to Duggan's own work with Polaris. Such as the coffee making a return, and Lorna's "That's so Jean." comment (referencing X-Men year one when Jean changed what Lorna said at the gala).

Werneck does a killer job with Polaris. That panel where Lorna holds the face of an Orchis agent, asking where Stasis is? Amazing.
    Duggan is the first x-writer to even really try in terms of the issue of Lorna's ruthlessness in a very long time. It worked wonders as did her more serious turn.

Lastly, don't ask me why she doesn't instantly freeze to death in the void of space, magnetic field or not. And even with a magnetic force field up 24/7, there's still a good amount of potentially lethal cosmic radiation that would penetrate her fields.
    Those rays including the Gamma rays are electromagnetic waves. Also, guess what protects the Earth from those rays? Earth's Magnetosphere by spinning and creating an electromagnetic shield around the Earth. Lorna producing enough EM energy to heat herself is easy to understand as well. The O2 issue in space is really the only problem. That would take a cartridge, or something attached to her uniform regulating the air around her bubble.

X-MEN #34
    Written by GERRY DUGGAN
    Art and Cover by JOSHUA CASSARA
    On Sale 5/1

The end is nigh! The Krakoan Age is nearly at an end…and what might be the final battle of the heroes of Krakoa! One last stop before the fall and rise come to their conclusion…and everything change

Thanks for the share!!

Polaris and Sunfire together again, be still my heart.
    Queen of Mutants, Mistress of Magnetism, Magnetrix and the MII, Pestilence of the Horsemen of Apocalypse, the Krakoan Oracle and creator of the Sanctus Sacrum Tournament Key, the Threshold Seed Shaper, Brood Queen of the Fall of the House of X, Lorna Sally Dane, Ph.D., of the House of M, Polaris of the X-Men

Quote Originally Posted by Mitteloss View Post
    I'm used to worrying when Lorna has big roles, but her role in FOX is quite amazing! It's everything I and I'm sure many of you had long hoped for! From the costume, the powers and the attitude!
    She will be fine to the end, but the next era if it’s super charged by 80s and 90s animated series influenced nostalgia she very well might not be. Ultimately post M-Day the killer for Lorna’s story was wanting to make the Golden Age of the X-Men work for her without seeing the massive limitations and flaws of those eras for the character.

Thus we had three times Lorna was pushed back on X-Factor when an X-Force like role was very obviously the right path for the character post Genosha era/Austen.

Bunn really seemed to me like the right writer for Lorna until it became apparent he didn’t want to see her outside the 80s/90s bubble. Duggan had his faults with her, but he wasn’t trapped in era specific nostalgia and that is the first time I can say that about run for over a decade and a half.
    Last edited by jmc247; 02-17-2024 at 10:11 AM.

its giving Sailor Moon. Sailor Polaris Prism Power, Make up!

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post
    X-MEN #34
    Written by GERRY DUGGAN
    Art and Cover by JOSHUA CASSARA
    On Sale 5/1

The end is nigh! The Krakoan Age is nearly at an end…and what might be the final battle of the heroes of Krakoa! One last stop before the fall and rise come to their conclusion…and everything change

https://twitter.com/joshuacassara/st...29965796794582