Page 28 of 41 FirstFirst ... 1824252627282930313238 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    Duggan was far from a perfect x-writer, but he didn't just recycle decades old nostalgia which is more than I can say for many writers.

I have highly doubted the gap being bridged between what Lorna was in 1992 and what she evolved to be in the comics in the show. They might try to go the Magneto killed my mom... oh I killed my mom route with her. But, that is a loser too as it was for Jean in the Fox films when they tried to spice up her storyline with the "I killed my mom, and my memory was erased" card. For Lorna the core problem is the role of Havok's Jean of the C list.

Ultimately, it's going to be up to the MCU's writers to save her and set what she means for the franchise.
    Being a substitute for another character is ALWAYS a losing proposition. Alex as miniScott is bad for him as well, and Lorna as Alex's miniJean by way of tie-in is doubly bad. Why would anyone care about Scott and Jean's stand-ins when they can read about the real Scott and Jean? Reading about Alex and Lorna as their own characters (whether together or apart) sounds so much better.
    Dark does not mean deep.

also while the plots came around the same time... they kinda conflict. Polaris's reasons for going to Genosha weren't all business... THEN the reveal that she's his daughter....

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Being a substitute for another character is ALWAYS a losing proposition. Alex as miniScott is bad for him as well, and Lorna as Alex's miniJean by way of tie-in is doubly bad. Why would anyone care about Scott and Jean's stand-ins when they can read about the real Scott and Jean? Reading about Alex and Lorna as their own characters (whether together or apart) sounds so much better.
    For a very brief period of time. Less then two years it seemed to be working for Marvel. PAD was getting ready to write the 05, editoral gave him a new team which they fit into their roles. But, it was built on a sandcastle that couldn’t be replicated. Namely they were taking over an already A list book with hundreds of thousands of subscribers who were willing to give the new team a try. PAD’s pen was very witty and at the top of his game of his writing career, the speculative comic book bubble was still going on meaning comic shops were buying up huge numbers of comics padding no pun intended the numbers.

The comic book bubble burst, PAD left, and the amount of options for readers for entertainment grew so fans cut back to the classic versions of characters. It was at this point that I felt they started to try to be innovative with Lorna’s character moving her away from Jean’s views and character. It didn’t turn things around for X-Factor, but she was starting to move away from being depicted as more of a Jean clone then Maddie ever was.

Lorna after X-Factor ended went through a retooling phase. That was what Genosha was supposed to be for her. Some writers were thinking about just giving her a bit of phony edge while still having her run back to Xavier’s dream. Basically what they did with Colossus in the early 90s. Others were thinking in much more expansive fashion. Writers looked back to her first stories for guidance not the 90s and that was why Havok was interacting with a Lorna who was Magneto’s daughter in the Mutant X universe from 1998-2001.

It wasn’t just Morrison who wanted to destroy Genosha. Claremont wanted to as well and to retore Lorna’s parentage. He didn’t get to it and Morrison destroyed the island and based his story on finding Lorna on his reciently read Jim S. trade paperback when Lorna was related to Magneto hense her calling him her father.
    Last edited by jmc247; 04-06-2024 at 07:41 PM.

It's sad you're so hopeless.

Wanda is one of the MCU's highest active IPs right now, I think they'll absolutely take the opportunity to use her as a bridge between Avengers and X-Men in some way that makes sense for both franchises. They need to bring her back from villainy. A great way to do that is give her a father now that she's lost her kids, and a sister now that she's lost her brother. I have faith. Instead of the X-Men and Brotherhood of Evil Mutants, I think they're going to do the X-Men and the House of M.
    Queen of Mutants, Mistress of Magnetism, Magnetrix and the MII, Pestilence of the Horsemen of Apocalypse, the Krakoan Oracle and creator of the Sanctus Sacrum Tournament Key, the Threshold Seed Shaper, Brood Queen of the Fall of the House of X, Lorna Sally Dane, Ph.D., of the House of M, Polaris of the X-Men

I was beating around the bush, but yes I think the House of M as a political faction on the other side of the X-Men is one of two ways into the MCU for Lorna.

I want to see her on par with her contemporaries Jean, Wanda, Scott, etc. That won’t happen until she makes it in the films.

The House of M direction was going to happen over a decade ago, but Fox and Marvel couldn’t get along to see it happen together and in spite Axis happened.

Will it happen now? Maybe or maybe not. Disney is retooling their plans. The Director of MoM forced the Wanda break down well before Marvel was planning on pulling the plot.

With the collapse of The Marvels the top selling Marvel woman is Wanda right now.
    Last edited by jmc247; 04-10-2024 at 01:02 AM.

Polaris isn’t on the X-Force roster and definitely isn’t one of the 5 in NYX, so my guess is she’s on X-Factor. If that’s the case, I really hope it’s a strike team and not a detective squad.

Just wanted to let Lorna fans know that she wasn't included in X-Men '97's Genosha genocide episode. When Multiple Man showed up, I was hoping she'd be there too as an X-Factor teammate but I guess not. It seems like they gave Magneto and Rogue her role.

Quote Originally Posted by whitecrown View Post
    Just wanted to let Lorna fans know that she wasn't included in X-Men '97's Genosha genocide episode. When Multiple Man showed up, I was hoping she'd be there too as an X-Factor teammate but I guess not. It seems like they gave Magneto and Rogue her role.
    How will TAS97 evolve Lorna? Generic female character who hates bad dad and then eventually learns to grudgingly respect him a bit is almost certainly what they will do without it. Not interested in that.

I tried to ignore the previous show runners tweets, but on occasion I would say something. He denied the validity of 2000s era Emma Frost which I felt was a very bad sign. Nostalgia is a hell of a drug and even characterizations I don’t like at all such as 90s Lorna I view as part of the characters history. One she was only able to move beyond because of Genosha. The issue of who is her daddy or who is she sleeping with could not and did not do it.
    Last edited by jmc247; 04-10-2024 at 07:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by UncannyLZ View Post
    Polaris isn’t on the X-Force roster and definitely isn’t one of the 5 in NYX, so my guess is she’s on X-Factor. If that’s the case, I really hope it’s a strike team and not a detective squad.
    Yeah. Quite frankly, I'm glad she wasn't on X-Force, given that they're saying it'll have a rotating batch based on who Forge needs per story. And this initial X-Force team is bonkers. I'm really holding my breath for a really fresh take on X-Factor, if she's on it.

But I also don't think they've finished announcing titles. And I don't think Jean's solo title can last, and I don't think any of the main 3 titles will last as they are, except maybe Rogue's team of IP work-horses. I really don't want another detective X-Factor book. You can't take Polaris from using a Celestial head and army of Brood to annihilate Orchis' eye in the sky and simultaneously giving earth a new moon... to noir clue-hunting and street fights.

I need a fresh take on X-Factor for it to matter.

Quote Originally Posted by whitecrown View Post
    It was a phenomenal episode, and I think just goes to show how different this world is than the comics. The impact was devastating. And we don't know where Polaris is, similarly we didn't know right away in the comics where Polaris was during Genosha. So she could've been there, somewhere, with X-Factor. There's enough hint we might see more TAS97 X-Factor. I'm not holding my breath for it, but I'd love to see their take, because everything has been so respectful, even these cameo appearances we're getting. The showrunner definitely had some bad choice things to say about Emma, but she was portrayed quite well in this episode.
    Queen of Mutants, Mistress of Magnetism, Magnetrix and the MII, Pestilence of the Horsemen of Apocalypse, the Krakoan Oracle and creator of the Sanctus Sacrum Tournament Key, the Threshold Seed Shaper, Brood Queen of the Fall of the House of X, Lorna Sally Dane, Ph.D., of the House of M, Polaris of the X-Men

Maybe Lorna will appear as a survivor in a future episode

Cartoon is a trash fire made by assholes that don't respect Lorna, Emma and several other characters and what they have to offer, and they've shown me both why I never got into the 90s cartoon and why that's a good thing.

Don't watch. Doesn't deserve the viewership. There are alternatives to watching, even if it comes later, than means that boost their numbers if you absolutely must watch it.

Quote Originally Posted by GoingGreen View Post
    It was a phenomenal episode, and I think just goes to show how different this world is than the comics. The impact was devastating. And we don't know where Polaris is, similarly we didn't know right away in the comics where Polaris was during Genosha. So she could've been there, somewhere, with X-Factor. There's enough hint we might see more TAS97 X-Factor. I'm not holding my breath for it, but I'd love to see their take, because everything has been so respectful, even these cameo appearances we're getting. The showrunner definitely had some bad choice things to say about Emma, but she was portrayed quite well in this episode.
    We still knew Lorna was present on the island before and during the genocide. Not only did this trash heap not show her visually present anywhere prior to the genocide, it used opening credits of the prior episode to emphasize her having been on 90s X-Factor when it didn't need to. Forge's photo in the actual episode handled that.

I've seen nothing to suggest we should give these tools the benefit of the doubt. And after sitting on evidence of White's attitude toward Lorna for 2 years to give him the "benefit of the doubt," I've had it with keeping my mouth shut for hypotheticals that never come.

If they have actual good plans and want to get me to shut up, they can release something right now showing that they're going to respect this part of her in a future episode. Otherwise I'm just going to assume they're the tools I know they are based on everything they've presented thus far.

For fans stumbling in who don't understand, this is what the people behind the cartoon decided to exclude because they're nostalgia-obsessed tools that don't respect Lorna or anything she has to offer.

I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    Cartoon is a trash fire made by assholes that don't respect Lorna, Emma and several other characters and what they have to offer, and they've shown me both why I never got into the 90s cartoon and why that's a good thing.

Don't watch. Doesn't deserve the viewership. There are alternatives to watching, even if it comes later, than means that boost their numbers if you absolutely must watch it.

We still knew Lorna was present on the island before and during the genocide. Not only did this trash heap not show her visually present anywhere prior to the genocide, it used opening credits of the prior episode to emphasize her having been on 90s X-Factor when it didn't need to. Forge's photo in the actual episode handled that.

I've seen nothing to suggest we should give these tools the benefit of the doubt. And after sitting on evidence of White's attitude toward Lorna for 2 years to give him the "benefit of the doubt," I've had it with keeping my mouth shut for hypotheticals that never come.

If they have actual good plans and want to get me to shut up, they can release something right now showing that they're going to respect this part of her in a future episode. Otherwise I'm just going to assume they're the tools I know they are based on everything they've presented thus far.

For fans stumbling in who don't understand, this is what the people behind the cartoon decided to exclude because they're nostalgia-obsessed tools that don't respect Lorna or anything she has to offer.

I don't think any of this stuff had been published when the initial cartoon went off the air. While they could very well develop into this story, none of it has even really been set up yet, much less actually happened. I think in canon at the time of Lorna's last appearance in the 90s X-Men, the notion that she was Magneto's daughter was still a lie told by a robot duplicate of Magneto.

Correct me if I am wrong on any of that. But if you want Lorna (and Emma) to look more like their present incarnations, either the story in the show needs to move them there on screen, or a different show needs to take over entirely. X-Men 97 is over a quarter of a century behind the comics.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    I don't think any of this stuff had been published when the initial cartoon went off the air. While they could very well develop into this story, none of it has even really been set up yet, much less actually happened. I think in canon at the time of Lorna's last appearance in the 90s X-Men, the notion that she was Magneto's daughter was still a lie told by a robot duplicate of Magneto.

Correct me if I am wrong on any of that. But if you want Lorna (and Emma) to look more like their present incarnations, either the story in the show needs to move them there on screen, or a different show needs to take over entirely. X-Men 97 is over a quarter of a century behind the comics.
    You're right that the cartoon went off the air before these events. It doesn't excuse their decisions. They could have very easily acknowledged these things without going into episodes worth of background and movement to get these characters there. They certainly didn't use whole episodes in the 90s to introduce Lorna.

If they were willing to skip over her origin story issues to put her straight onto X-Factor in the 90s cartoon, they can skip over a lot of things to get Lorna right on Genosha with the genocide.

If this cartoon can't be respectful to the characters, what they offer and what they mean to people in connection to this event, then they shouldn't have tried to adapt this event at all. Or perhaps the cartoon shouldn't even exist.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    You're right that the cartoon went off the air before these events. It doesn't excuse their decisions. They could have very easily acknowledged these things without going into episodes worth of background and movement to get these characters there. They certainly didn't use whole episodes in the 90s to introduce Lorna.

If they were willing to skip over her origin story issues to put her straight onto X-Factor in the 90s cartoon, they can skip over a lot of things to get Lorna right on Genosha with the genocide.

If this cartoon can't be respectful to the characters, what they offer and what they mean to people in connection to this event, then they shouldn't have tried to adapt this event at all. Or perhaps the cartoon shouldn't even exist.
    They just had the attack on Genosha, and Lorna's part (as far as the viewers would know) starts in the aftermath. That would, at the earliest, be starting in the next episode. Although to be honest, I'm not sure exactly how much space they would give to someone who isn't a cast member, which sucks if you are a fan.

Wait and see, I suppose. Cautiously pessimistic.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Genosha was arguably one of the most defining moments in her history. Disconnecting her from that in its most major adaption to the modern audience does her a disservice. The general audience will not associate it with her and thats a shame. Wolverine and the X-men did better by her