Page 15 of 40 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post
    I will be getting this one for issue #3.

Also this one if it’s a variant. It’s the best take of her hybrid headgear/helmet.

I love that Marvel considers Lorna an important enough figure in the Krakoa era to be getting all these variants

Quote Originally Posted by GoingGreen View Post
    You can disagree of course, but I'd really love to understand why, if you care to discuss.

I would be extremely surprised to see another Marvel couple who have been on panel attacking each other nearly as many times as Polaris and Havok have. I have tons of screenshots - this isn't the first time this has come up. Yes, frequently, at least one was under mind control or influenced in some way during these moments. That does not change the fact that in a strictly visual-only, serial media (meaning context is easily ignored by new or wide audiences who don't have the time, resources, or maybe even interested in going back for every little detail), they have attacked each other time and again.

If the "undercover" one you're referring to is when Havok formed a Brotherhood "undercover" - I'm sorry, but one of his surprise attacks hit her so hard, her heart stopped and she needed to be resuscitated. She would've died if not for Shard finding her. That's not exactly an "oopsie, I was undercover, pls 4give" moment.

After Malice, their relationship never truly recovered. They had a handful of good moments, and I think I can recall only once was a disagreement / argument of theirs handled in a healthy way... but when I think back to their relationship, I can't remember anything specific after Malice that makes me go, "oh, what a great moment for those two!"

"Goal" to control her isn't the right word. It wasn't a conscious thing he did, it's just what he did. I could point to a lot of moments, but I'll keep it brief: After countless times Polaris has compromised for him or fought on his behalf or to save him or whatever (no, this was not equal between them, I'd guess about 70/30, Polaris/Havok), he didn't even entertain a conversation when he decided for them both they would leave X-Factor Investigations, it was just his way or no way, and he'd been practically dismissive of her from the time they got back to Earth from a long time stranded in space until he quit X-Factor to lead an Avengers b-squad. And they broke up as a result. Another moment off the top of my head, Havok getting Quicksilver to join Polaris' X-Factor team to spy on her, dismissively calling her crazy and assuming she needed or would need him.

If you were confused when I was talking about Polaris being portrayed as an obstacle for Havok's happy ending with a racist: It was the first half of their appearance in Austen's run, when Havok returned to 616 after they believed him dead, only to fall into an engagement with Polaris that he secretly didn't want, while having a psychic affair (that they blamed on a child's intervention, so they could keep Havok looking like a pristine little aryan) with a racist human nurse who openly admitted to her prejudices. This resulted in the Wedding that Wasn't, more death-battles between Havok and Polaris (her having been silently suffering extreme PTSD after being on Genosha during the genocide of 16 million mutants, plus the alleged loss and return of the love of her life - I mean, could you imagine then finding out he was having an affair with a human who hated mutants?!?!). Anyway, eeeeverything leading up to this was to paint Polaris as an in-house villain, and an obstacle for Havok. Fortunately, this was followed up with some healing and development for Polaris, but that's another story for another day.

The fact that they even got back together again after this is -insane- to me. How, in this world we live in right now, was Brubaker like, "No, it's fine. All of that is fine."
    Hank and Jan?
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

Quote Originally Posted by ARkadelphia View Post
    Hank and Jan?
    I would argue the domestic abuse by Hank Pym on Janet van Dyne was far more plainly stated, explored for what it actually was, and therefor more impactful. Hank's abuse of Janet was spelled out for us, which I greatly appreciate - because it was clearly stated as "This man committed domestic abuse on this woman, and it is bad that he did it."

But I don't think they had as many "screenshot opportunities" as Havok and Polaris on one another. In their sober moments (and by that, I mean not under mind-control or possessed) their abuse on one another was not called on panel what it actually was, and therefor not treated on-panel or by fans as what it was. For me, it took a retrospective, adult eye to realize that the voice of the relationship between Polaris and Havok was one of abuse.
    Queen of Mutants, Mistress of Magnetism, Magnetrix and the MII, Pestilence of the Horsemen of Apocalypse, the Krakoan Oracle and creator of the Sanctus Sacrum Tournament Key, the Threshold Seed Shaper, Brood Queen of the Fall of the House of X, Lorna Sally Dane, Ph.D., of the House of M, Polaris of the X-Men

AIPT: OK, let’s talk about Polaris. Before Fall of the House of X, we saw Lorna at the end of X-Men #24, resting at the Treehouse, mourning her father Magneto’s death. Cut to this issue and she’s the new master of magnetism. How would you say Polaris is doing these days?
    Jordan: Well, I think that she worked through it — but not to the extent that she’s made peace with things because obviously she hasn’t. She’s extremely unhappy. But she’s gotten back on her feet enough to give in to anger and act accordingly in a big, bold Magneto way.

I was just talking to somebody about this the other day. I think it was Peter David who kind of officially confirmed that she had bipolar disorder. I feel like it was hinted at for a long time, and then Peter confirmed it. I think it was also depicted that way on The Gifted if I remember correctly. She’s struggled with the large and traumatic events she’s lived through. But now, I think she’s ready to take Orchis down for what they did.

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post
    AIPT: OK, let’s talk about Polaris. Before Fall of the House of X, we saw Lorna at the end of X-Men #24, resting at the Treehouse, mourning her father Magneto’s death. Cut to this issue and she’s the new master of magnetism. How would you say Polaris is doing these days?
    Jordan: Well, I think that she worked through it — but not to the extent that she’s made peace with things because obviously she hasn’t. She’s extremely unhappy. But she’s gotten back on her feet enough to give in to anger and act accordingly in a big, bold Magneto way.

I was just talking to somebody about this the other day. I think it was Peter David who kind of officially confirmed that she had bipolar disorder. I feel like it was hinted at for a long time, and then Peter confirmed it. I think it was also depicted that way on The Gifted if I remember correctly. She’s struggled with the large and traumatic events she’s lived through. But now, I think she’s ready to take Orchis down for what they did.
    I know I’ve said this before but I strongly disagree with bipolar Polaris. Projecting bipolar disorder on her in an attempt to give her a personality or explain why she’s being more assertive is lazy and does a disservice to both Lorna and bipolar disorder. BPD is more nuanced than simply being more violent or explaining why a character went from sipping coffee one day and killing things the next. Lorna to me is a terrible rep of mental illness and making that a part of her story will be the only thing she’s used/remembered for. JDW was asked how Polaris was feeling since she was recently seen going on the offensive and instead of highlighting that Lorna is simply fighting back, her assertive side is reduced to being bipolar. I really don’t want Polaris to just be coffee quips and being seen as mentally ill.

I've generally been fine with the idea of Lorna having bipolar disorder. However, if people are gonna use it as a way to de-legitimize her actions and act like she has no agency or principles, if it's gonna be framed as "dumb woman acting on animal instinct," then I'm completely opposed to the notion.

The concept of her having bipolar disorder was a nice concept in theory. Done properly, it can be inclusive. It can be respectful and tap the range of human experiences.

Turning it into "lol she's craaaaazy" and acting like it's not a legitimate course of action she's thought through and committed to is the opposite of inclusive and respectful. Such a thing is worse than not using it at all. And ultimately, the X-Men comics need to be reeeeeeeeeeal careful about how they approach inclusivity. They didn't have a good time of it when they tried Wolfsbane as trans allegory.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

First issue is does Lorna's X-Factor runs often tend to lean into that concept of her more than the different worldview concept? Yes, and that has been one problem I have had with a number of them.

I don't even need to say really my view that the character being traumatized and having a heathy dose of political radicalism... along with more flexible moral code then Jean (but not no moral code) is the winning proposition with her. Fall of the House of X #1-2 was that winning combination. Lorna being the Wolverine of Austen's team... meaning the hard ass willing to pull the trigger worked just as future Polaris in Wolverine and the X-Men worked.

Polaris was actually pulling her punches on the space station compared to a more typical highly traumatized Lorna out for justice or revenge. The idea she was acting in Fall of X out of mental illness not personal worldview mixed with trauma and mutant rights views is a big problem, yes.

link link 2

link

Link
    Last edited by jmc247; 02-19-2024 at 05:16 PM.

Back to the Polaris and Havok stuff for a moment, because I feel like I have something to say.

I see a potential path for that relationship to work down the road. However, that path isn't the "force Havok into nearly everything Lorna does and pretend being Havok's girlfriend is more important for the character than surviving a genocide" path that Jordan White pushed.

There's decades of toxicity. And like GoingGreen said, unlike with other pairings, Marvel handled the toxicity in this case as if it's a good thing. It takes time and work to clean that up. If you have an oil spill ruining everything it touches, you don't sell oil in the affected area by dumping more oil everywhere and saying "all this oil is good actually." You sell oil by clearing out the oil spill, cleaning up everything it ruined (e.g. getting the oil off ducks), upping safety and quality standards substantially, packaging it properly, and only then trying to sell it.

The only flaw in this analogy I see is that this relationship is akin to an oil spill that was left unfixed and treated like it was a good thing for decades, something that's unlikely (though not impossible) to happen. In that situation, you would have to expect this timeline to take longer than if the oil spill was acted on quickly. Decades of not doing anything productive about it would mean you have decades of damage caused by the oil and to brand image to resolve. Neither's gonna get fixed with a single buzzy PR fluff piece.

Lorna herself is a good example. It took over a decade to go from "let's just ditch her ass in space as a supporting character for Havok and forget about her for a year" to rejoining the X-Men and leading the Brood in an assault on Orchis in the main event book. Getting from one to the other took time and work.

The main thrust of how the Lorna and Havok "relationship" most commonly plays out has been with Havok as a white cis man self-insert with Lorna misused around him for his benefit. That approach doesn't fly today. People expect better, and they expect damage that was done in the past to be fixed first.

I'm saying all of this as someone that personally would rather they never get back together again. I think she's much better off without him, and there's too much risk with too little potential payoff. But if someone's goal is to make it happen, they at least need to be aware that it'll take time and work, and it can't repeat sins of the past. Someone that cares about doing actual good work will put in that effort. Someone who doesn't will just try to take a bunch of shortcuts and force bad work while pretending it's gold.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Salarta’s Havok discourse is why I previously brought up that Lorna needs a new relationship. I strongly believe that a new romance could finally move her away from the nostalgia of “Havok’s girlfriend”. With the right romance, her history with Havok will become just that, something in her history. I do think the relationship would have to be with a character that’s not only available but has the status and importance to the franchise thar they won’t be written out ounce Lorna and the character are an item. There aren’t many options but I’m hopefully something happens so her character doesn’t backslide in the Brevoort era.

Please.

I prefer they just put effort into developing good characterization and stories for Lorna rather than just stuffing her into a new relationship. She's spent enough time in the shadow of romance, I just want my girl to stand her on her own for a good bit.

Quote Originally Posted by knowmadic View Post
    Please.

I prefer they just put effort into developing good characterization and stories for Lorna rather than just stuffing her into a new relationship. She's spent enough time in the shadow of romance, I just want my girl to stand her on her own for a good bit.
    A new romance doesn’t negate her standing on her own and getting good stories about her and not some man. She can do both. My suggestion for a new romance is only in response to Lorna backsliding into the role of “Havok’s girlfriend”. I’ve expressed my ideas for how to further develop Lorna’s character and lanes for Polaris in the franchise here and directly to Marvel. Hopefully, they’ve listened some her momentum forward continues this summer during the relaunch.

If Lorna is in another relationship, the key thing anyone writing her has to be careful of is to not make it a repeat of the past dynamic with Havok.

The stuff under Jordan White's purview had that problem. In All-New X-Factor, we had Gambit actively undermining her position as leader (including yanking her arm back when she was about to launch an attack) until enough complaints from fans finally got the dynamic changed. Even outside of romance, just with male relationships, we had Magneto mansplaining surprise attacks to Lorna in X-Men Blue and Magneto depicted as dismissive of Lorna depicted as having a mental breakdown (... over the death of a single mutant she didn't know... while simultaneously ignoring her experience with Genosha) in X of Swords. Her lot didn't get better until she won the X-Men vote and a spotlight on her meant they had to put more thought into her.

Overall, the relationship needs to be a good thing for both characters. When I say that, I mean in the narrative sense. Both characters need to be respected as meaningful characters in their own right, with potential worth exploring. They can fight, they can have friction, they can argue, they can experience bad things with or even because of each other. Their relationship being a good thing for both characters doesn't instantly mean the relationship is of the picture perfect true love with no faults variety. Just as Lorna being a survivor of the Genoshan genocide isn't "good" for Lorna within her own headspace but is definitely good in the narrative sense.

Astonishing Member

If Lorna has a regular book in the future, I'd love to see her and Bobby reconnect as friends. I think.

I do agree that if there is a pathway to Polaris and Havok reconnecting some day, it means Lorna having a relationship with someone else first (and I don't mean Iceman).

Ultimate Member

If Marvel wants them back together it will happen without either having to date someone else, sadly I don't think most at Marvel care much for either right now. Unless they have plans for Maddy she could get shunted off to limbo easily enough, and they didn't try to have Lorna date during Krakoa...not saying that it will happen only that it wouldn't take an act of congress to get them back together again.