Page 5 of 39 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Soulsword323 View Post
    The Krakoa Era over all has been pretty kind to Lorna. From appearing in HoX, to having a role in X of Swords, starring in the X-Men, and having (what looks to be) a strong presence in the end of Krakoa.

I hope all this momentum isn't lost in the coming era.
    The era has been the epitome of a roller coaster ride. When it felt like her story had a driving focus it was good. When it didn’t, it wasn’t. It was still better then the previous decade which was one attempt to make the 90s work with her over and over instead of trying something new.

If she continues to have a motivation and agenda after Fall of X she is in good shape. If not she has major problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Milton View Post
    It’s a very rule of cool scene that I think we’re not meant to think about too much. Unfortunately it’s in my nature to overthink these things. I think my bigger problem with the idea isn’t that it’s poorly thought out on Lorna’s part, but that it feels like a less successful version of what Magik did with the SWORD station in XoS.
    We won’t know what she plans on targeting until next issue.
    Last edited by jmc247; 01-07-2024 at 12:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulsword323 View Post
    The Krakoa Era over all has been pretty kind to Lorna. From appearing in HoX, to having a role in X of Swords, starring in the X-Men, and having (what looks to be) a strong presence in the end of Krakoa.

I hope all this momentum isn't lost in the coming era.
    I didnt care for it but you forgot she was featured in X-Factor as well. I think her presence has been relatively consistent. Even when she didnt have an ongoing, she was still being used and making guest appearances at least. This era will be a net positive for her at the end of the day. At least it wasnt offensive nor did anything to set her back

It’s a very rule of cool scene that I think we’re not meant to think about too much. Unfortunately it’s in my nature to overthink these things. I think my bigger problem with the idea isn’t that it’s poorly thought out on Lorna’s part, but that it feels like a less successful version of what Magik did with the SWORD station in XoS.
    Sorry that I miss interpreted what you were saying.

Yeah, hopefully she isn't going to earth. We'll see.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen the original discolored pages...and also "HAVOC", indeed!
    Yep. It is also seen briefly in 104, but from a distance for the whole thing, and only from shoulders up close up. I had no idea it was originally purple until I was finally able to buy X-Men 97 from a back issue dealer. Still prefer the miscolored version.

Quote Originally Posted by Thievery View Post
    I wanted to hold off on saying this until I had a chance to read it more than once, but now that I have it has also been pointed out by Dante Milton in the spoilers thread.

Bringing an army of Brood to Earth is a potentially stupid move. If Lorna and Broo lose control of those things they could cause an even bigger problem than they solve. Even if she does keep the Brood under her command it's still bad public relations. The humans will accuse the mutants of trying to wipe humans out with an alien species. Sorry if this has been pointed out already and I missed the post after reading this thread several times.

Still, it was one hell of a cool scene.
    Sorry that I miss interpreted what you were saying.

Yeah, hopefully she isn't going to earth. We'll see.
    Still totally disagree with the words "stupid" and "dumb" being applied here. Those comments feel really thoughtless, imo.

She pulled away from human-relations for half the Krakoan era until she rejoined the Krakoan X-Men. Then, after being elected to represent the X-Men, she helped build human-relations while changing the world... and those efforts were rewarded when the X-Men and mutantkind got slaughtered again by a relentless organization created by, and mostly claiming to represent, humanity. She just survived her SECOND mutant genocide, including the deaths of some of her closest friends, and countless other mutants. She's looking to counter strike with a powerful army. What's a powerful army waiting for ways to help the X-Men and redeem themselves? Broo and his domesticated Brood. Yes, as I said, she's intimately and freshly aware of the carnage of which the Brood are capable... and I think that's exactly what she'd want right now. I think she cares far less about repercussions, at this point. Again, she just survived her second mutant genocide. She'll deal with the repercussions later - which everyone already knows is coming, the solicits already told us.

For now?

To war!
    Queen of Mutants, Mistress of Magnetism, Magnetrix and the MII, Pestilence of the Horsemen of Apocalypse, the Krakoan Oracle and creator of the Sanctus Sacrum Tournament Key, the Threshold Seed Shaper, Brood Queen of the Fall of the House of X, Lorna Sally Dane, Ph.D., of the House of M, Polaris of the X-Men

AIPT: I’m not sure if this is intentional, but seeing a few older costumes is also in line with Hickman’s “mutant clothes” idea for the Krakoan era — that every costume was in play based on artists’ interest.

Jordan: That’s absolutely true. For Polaris, the idea of having her in a green Magneto costume came up and Lucas Werneck took that as a challenge to step it up even more and go, “I can do better than that” and he did a Magneto-inspired Polaris costume that just kicks ass. He’s a beautiful designer, does great work on costumes, and he does beautiful work on people, in general. He made her look absolutely great there, and we’re thrilled to have her as part of this series.

I do want to mention that Polaris is on the last page of this issue because she won that contest. Honestly, all three X-Vote winners are going to be in this series and have been important over the Fall of X and in the end of this era because they won those contests. It’s not like we were sitting there going, “The whole Krakoan era will end when Polaris shows up with the Brood in this Celestial’s head.” That wasn’t part of the plan. That was a part of the plan that developed when we went, “OK, here’s a piece we have to fit in — what do we do?” There are a lot of great, awesome story possibilities with Polaris. Same with Juggernaut and Firestar.

So if you’re ever wondering how much those X-Men fan votes mattered — they mattered a lot and they changed everything.

I love that!
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Polaris Sculpted by Lucas Teixeira

Good point that Lorna might not be bringing the Brood to Earth. That's an assumption I made, and it wasn't really founded on anything besides not thinking of other places she could be taking them.

I don't consider what the books did to Lorna in X of Swords nor her time on X-Factor as "kind" to her in the slightest. Her time on that version of X-Factor was very clearly "let's stick her on the team with that name yet again cause that's all we acknowledge her for, but ignore her history as a whole to do just whatever with her." X of Swords in particular pissed me off because it had Lorna have a complete mental breakdown over the death of a single mutant she didn't even know, a reaction she never had when other people she actually knew died near her, while at the same time not acknowledging her as a survivor of the Genoshan genocide.

Aside from that, I really don't think Lorna was getting much out of the Krakoa period until she won the X-Men vote. She wasn't even acknowledged on the X-women variant cover despite being the second woman to join the X-Men, and it took a whole year of limbo before she eventually got thrown onto X-Factor as a supporting character. Then there's the matter of the comics taking a whole year before doing anything with Lorna regarding her father's death, while Storm was basically being Magneto's daughter in all but name. Oh, and let's not forget showing up on Genosha and being depicted as caring greatly about a lack of coffee fix but not the genocide she directly experienced there.

Lorna's had some great things going for her since she won the X-Men vote. That's still true. Her relationship with Jean was restored, she got to express a genuine distinct philosophy in Devil's Reign, she got to have an issue with Wanda, and of course what we're reading now. We're seeing genuinely good, well-intended things for her right now.

But having great things right now doesn't make the bad stuff disappear. We don't need to belabor the point, but pretending it never happened at all is a mistake. Doing so invites a repeat of those mistakes, or of people at Marvel thinking those mistakes were fine or not mistakes at all.

We all want this positive momentum for Lorna to carry forward. Part of that happening requires awareness of what was a problem and what didn't work, not only what people like.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    I didnt care for it but you forgot she was featured in X-Factor as well. I think her presence has been relatively consistent. Even when she didnt have an ongoing, she was still being used and making guest appearances at least. This era will be a net positive for her at the end of the day. At least it wasnt offensive nor did anything to set her back
    I didn't forget, I just didn't mention it. Just like I didn't mention Trial of Magneto, or Captain Marvel. I tried to focus on what I personally thought were positive/enjoyable for Lorna.

As for X of Swords, I personally loved XoS: Creation. Polaris' inclusion was a delightful surprise, and I enjoyed Lorna's presence throughout. It's one of my favorite comics period, and one of my favorite moments for Lorna.

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

Forgive the double posting but:

Quote Originally Posted by Diammandis View Post
    “Apoc and friends.” From Josh Cassara’s twitter
    Polaris, with Apocalypse and Emma Frost. Thanks to Diammandis!

Quote Originally Posted by GoingGreen View Post
    Still totally disagree with the words "stupid" and "dumb" being applied here. Those comments feel really thoughtless, imo.

She pulled away from human-relations for half the Krakoan era until she rejoined the Krakoan X-Men. Then, after being elected to represent the X-Men, she helped build human-relations while changing the world... and those efforts were rewarded when the X-Men and mutantkind got slaughtered again by a relentless organization created by, and mostly claiming to represent, humanity. She just survived her SECOND mutant genocide, including the deaths of some of her closest friends, and countless other mutants. She's looking to counter strike with a powerful army. What's a powerful army waiting for ways to help the X-Men and redeem themselves? Broo and his domesticated Brood. Yes, as I said, she's intimately and freshly aware of the carnage of which the Brood are capable... and I think that's exactly what she'd want right now. I think she cares far less about repercussions, at this point. Again, she just survived her second mutant genocide. She'll deal with the repercussions later - which everyone already knows is coming, the solicits already told us.

For now?

To war!
    Agree to disagree, then. Bringing an alien species to attack Orchis on Earth is stupid, in my opinion. If she even is going to Earth. She may not be.

Now I should add that it doesn't have to be a bad thing for the character that Lorna could be making what I consider to be a bad move. As you pointed out yourself, there will be repercussions. Either for good or for ill. If she uses the Brood well, then great, she got a really good moment. If it does turn out that Polaris has done something dumb the end result could still springboard her into interesting stories in the future. Some of the best stories that a character receives derive from bad decisions that were made. If that happens you just can't take the initial mistake as a deliberate insult from the writer towards the character.
    Should have included that in my first post.

Something new for the Polaris/Lorna Dane world.

Hypnosis has great potential to help people manage pain, control habits, overcome phobias, and manage a variety of other neurological and psychiatric challenges.The trick is that some people are more hypnotizable than others. Now, Stanford University scientists have demonstrated that the use of transcranial magnetic stimulation—using a magnetic coil to zap particular regions of the brain—enhances someone's ability to be hypnotized.

The researchers tested the process on people with the chronic pain disorder called fibromyalgia. In the double-blind study, some patients received the magnetic stimulation and others didn't.

The researchers found that actual stimulation "was associated with increased hypnotizability (responsiveness to hypnosis), while sham stimulation did not," says researcher Afik Faerman.
    Could be argued that perhaps Lorna was more susceptible to mind control for a long time because of her powers, but now that she's older and has a firmer grasp on it, this can be part of her power set to do to others.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post
    Polaris Sculpted by Lucas Teixeira

Beautiful sculpt! I shudder to check the price. Also...No Coffee cup? Shades?

I am sorry to see that Lorna's other skirt costume of the Krakoan era by Baldeon seems to get no love at all.

Last edited by Thirteen; 01-08-2024 at 06:10 PM.
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

Agree to disagree, then. Bringing an alien species to attack Orchis on Earth is stupid, in my opinion. If she even is going to Earth. She may not be.

Now I should add that it doesn't have to be a bad thing for the character that Lorna could be making what I consider to be a bad move. As you pointed out yourself, there will be repercussions. Either for good or for ill. If she uses the Brood well, then great, she got a really good moment. If it does turn out that Polaris has done something dumb the end result could still springboard her into interesting stories in the future. Some of the best stories that a character receives derive from bad decisions that were made. If that happens you just can't take the initial mistake as a deliberate insult from the writer towards the character.
    Should have included that in my first post.
    I understand what you all are saying, that X-Men shouldn't risk unleashing the Brood, domestic or not, on Earth because it can be catastrophe. And if it were, say, Storm, or Cyclops, or Phoenix... I'd agree with you. But for Polaris, and knowing the character the way I do, I just disagree with this as a "dumb" decision. Storm, Cyclops, and Phoenix care a lot more about human relations than Polaris, especially now. I don't want her to be a villain, but I do think this decision, regardless of what happens after, is an appropriate one for her to make.

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    Something new for the Polaris/Lorna Dane world.

Could be argued that perhaps Lorna was more susceptible to mind control for a long time because of her powers, but now that she's older and has a firmer grasp on it, this can be part of her power set to do to others.
    Neat. I always wonder about Polaris (and Magneto, Storm, Surge, etc) simulating radiation therapy, electrolysis, electroshock therapy, MRIs, RF ablations, etc etc etc
    Queen of Mutants, Mistress of Magnetism, Magnetrix and the MII, Pestilence of the Horsemen of Apocalypse, the Krakoan Oracle and creator of the Sanctus Sacrum Tournament Key, the Threshold Seed Shaper, Brood Queen of the Fall of the House of X, Lorna Sally Dane, Ph.D., of the House of M, Polaris of the X-Men