Page 8 of 39 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

Happy that Lorna was included in all these variant covers.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulsword323 View Post
    Happy that Lorna was included in all these variant covers.
    I will certainly pick up the classic cover variant. It remains her most iconic outfit in her history and frankly it defines what she should represent in normal times so much better than her generic green space outfit they kept forcing down our throat.

But, the generic space outfit also really does correctly define what they wanted to do with her in over a decade of comic book history and why they also flopped with the character so hard.

They wanted a generic heroine with a plausibly deniable edge. Your typical no risk cookie cutter heroine. That is really not how Lorna wins.

No risks come no rewards.

This, however, is what taking even a mild risk and earning rewards look like.

Link
    Last edited by jmc247; 01-29-2024 at 03:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post
    she is soo Dadīs gurl

I'm liking that teaser image, both for the pose and power use radiating strength from her, and for her eyes looking like stars. That's a neat touch that a) ties into her codename, and b) makes her look more ominous and threatening.

Also, this look and presence combined with having the Magneto-inspired one on the issue 2 cover are good moves while Resurrection of Magneto is happening. I think they realized after complaints about Lorna being ignored over his death that they really needed to acknowledge her connection to him while Resurrection is going on.

As for the space station, I've mentioned before the parallels I saw of Lorna launching Krakoa into space back in Giant-Size X-Men compared to the idea of bringing Knowhere to Earth to wrap up this period. Then, people started talking about the space station - which because I'm out of the loop on some elements, I didn't realize was in orbit around Earth until recent teasers.

So as a clarification: when I said "Lorna bringing Knowhere to Earth," I did not mean in the sense of bringing it down to New York to kill rando civilians. I meant it in the full sense. Not just the land masses and oceans, but its outer atmosphere and orbit too. For the same reason that Lorna getting Krakoa out of Earth's atmosphere and orbit counts as launching it into space. We don't split hairs and say "well actually we can't say it went into space cause we don't know how far it traveled, we just know it left Earth's atmosphere." Same deal about this. We refer to the moon orbiting our planet as "Earth's moon" for a reason.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

It’s nice to see a little of Lorna’s long missing edge peaking out. I also thought part of this is probably due to wanting to make up somewhat for the major absence Lorna has had in Magneto’s story for a very long time now.

I Love a more Eisenhardt Lorna.

After all she has all Mags potential also more. she can fullfill his old shoes even better.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkMagnus View Post
    I Love a more Eisenhardt Lorna.

After all she has all Mags potential also more. she can fullfill his old shoes even better.
    It is a very strong possible story trajectory that should have happened some time ago.
    Last edited by jmc247; 01-30-2024 at 08:15 AM.

i mean in the

"Its better to have her in our side rather than having a celestial head in my butt"

Loving all the art coming out. I appreciate the character autonomy they are still giving her - it feels like they are really treading carefully between the homage to Magneto and her as a unique and powerful character, with or without him.

I just really hope this isn't a suicide mission.
    Queen of Mutants, Mistress of Magnetism, Magnetrix and the MII, Pestilence of the Horsemen of Apocalypse, the Krakoan Oracle and creator of the Sanctus Sacrum Tournament Key, the Threshold Seed Shaper, Brood Queen of the Fall of the House of X, Lorna Sally Dane, Ph.D., of the House of M, Polaris of the X-Men

I wish they had done an alternate reality story at some point which featured Lorna in the role as a mutant leader/dictator. Like having her take the Magneto or Apocalypse role to the extreme with her having actual power over humanity and ruling over mutantkind. We rarely see those stories with women but i feel like it could work with her. Again just for an inconsequential AR tale

Lorna tends to benefit when Magneto is either 6 feet under or full mutant messiah and the leader of the militant mutants. Frankly Lorna does the mutant activist protector concept very well and in ways that her father frankly does not do nearly as well meaning the representation of contemporary issues. The problem is Marvel often buys into the artificial scarcity of positions thing to a degree with her they don't do with Laura.

Lorna tends to have it the worst when Magneto is cast into a middle ground position as he will be in X-Men 97 and was in the comics for over a decade after House of M. When they do that, they tend to believe Lorna can only be a reserve/side very generic x-character or possessed.

I have long been of the view Lorna in typical times should be more of what we are getting now or at least mutant Punisher. While I think there were moments All New X-Factor moved things closer to the right direction, especially in the back half the problem was the story tended to cast her behavior in terms of emotional problems while Duggan was more successful by casting her actions as more as a different worldview then her oldest friend along with a different temperament.
    Last edited by jmc247; 02-03-2024 at 08:43 AM.