Page 37 of 44 FirstFirst ... 27333435363738394041 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    Nope. Not a bit.

We already know the cartoon can’t handle Lorna. The people behind it clearly don’t respect her. That means if they use her, that usage will be extremely poor. Poor depictions beget more poor depictions. Meanwhile, if she’s not on X-Men 97, then the next people to use her have a much higher chance of treating her well and respectfully. They’re more likely to take the time to really look at and understand her.

An argument might have been made a decade ago that a “benefit” of the cartoon, even with a poor depiction, would be exposure. That argument doesn’t apply today. She was the big breakout character on Gifted, and she won the X-Men vote, as well as appearing in various games. She doesn’t need her heart and soul sacrificed for the sake of awareness. She has enough of it from things that actually show her value and interest.

So, she’s better off not appearing on X-Men 97. Let the assholes do their ******* thing and leave her out of it. Others in the future can do right by her.
    If your're issue is with DeMayo, well he got fired so the next show runner may be better equipped to handle and explore her

Ultimate Member

Then again they could have Lorna on the show and have her act all upset at Magneto and Rogue being together or something along those lines, or her throwing her weight around as the bosses daughter kind of thing and annoying everyone. Or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    If your're issue is with DeMayo, well he got fired so the next show runner may be better equipped to handle and explore her
    I agree with this comment, but I will say it’s not an easy situation right now. For TAS how do you get to modern Lorna? I don’t think there is many pathways open. Warmed over mind control nonsense? Yuk. Fighting over dad vs boyfriend. Double yuk.

I have gamed out most of the options in my head a few times and most are disasters.

There is a thin line that could pull her story from disaster and thread a needle. But, it would require a lot and the trigger will have to have been pulled by the end of this season in 3 weeks.

I won’t tell people they should boycott. God no. I am an old TAS fan myself. But, this is a crisis where no version of modern Lorna actually can appear.
    Last edited by jmc247; 04-24-2024 at 05:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    My issue is mainly with DeMayo because as head writer, he had the most say in what the show does and doesn’t do. But I haven’t let the rest off the hook just yet.

Maybe the next show runner will be better equipped. But I sincerely do not see any kind of path that changes my mind short of redoing the genocide and doing it right, or having an episode that reveals Lorna was there after all and is a survivor too. I have absolutely no faith in the show and anyone working on it without that.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

My issue is mainly with DeMayo because as head writer, he had the most say in what the show does and doesn’t do. But I haven’t let the rest off the hook just yet.

Maybe the next show runner will be better equipped. But I sincerely do not see any kind of path that changes my mind short of redoing the genocide and doing it right, or having an episode that reveals Lorna was there after all and is a survivor too. I have absolutely no faith in the show and anyone working on it without that.
    You just discribed one of the select few very paths that is still open that I was thinking of. But, I think it will be basically closed if they haven’t pulled the gun on it by the finale.

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    You just discribed one of the select few very paths that is still open that I was thinking of. But, I think it will be basically closed if they haven’t pulled the gun on it by the finale.
    I can give a little more leeway for the next showrunner on this. My comparison point would be Barbara from Stranger Things. She ended up being a much bigger fan favorite than expected. While the showrunners didn’t bring her back to life (which is why I never came back to the show, though I never complained as it’s their original creation), they did recognize there was a fan need they failed to meet in the first season and committed to correcting it in the second season.

I think the same could be done with this cartoon. They could correct this problem with the next season by brainstorming and making very good, very visible and well promoted moves. They could back this up by saying Lorna’s experience of the genocide was so big, so powerful, that they needed more space to show it and more time to get the particulars down.

But that’s the only path I see for a fix if it doesn’t happen within this season. And it would have to be right toward the start, fixing it being one of the big items on their agenda. Basically, more will need to be done by the team in the second season for Lorna and her genocide experience than would have been needed if they had done it in season 1 as should have happened in the first place. But it’s possible. Same as the Stranger Things showrunners did for Barbara.

Mid season 2 is the point of no return, where it’s too late.

Quote Originally Posted by ExodusCloak View Post
    I have a feeling she might be given a small role as a Horseman.
    Knowing these people, it’ll only happen so Havok gets to do CPR on Lorna followed by Lorna crying and saying she’s evil and should die just so big blonde white cis male boyfantasy Havok gets to “comfort” her.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Mid season 2 is the point of no return, where it’s too late.
    The end of season one may prove the latest if season two as some have reported is in the can.

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    The end of season one may prove the latest if season two as some have reported is in the can.
    Beau already finished writing S2 before his departure.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    Then again they could have Lorna on the show and have her act all upset at Magneto and Rogue being together or something along those lines, or her throwing her weight around as the bosses daughter kind of thing and annoying everyone. Or not.
    For that to occur, first we'd have to have a reveal that Lorna is even his daughter. Just like we still haven't had the reveal that Scott and Alex are siblings.

The first time I was exposed to Polaris, she was a giant amazon with no magnetic abilities, fighting Namorita. So, I disagree that "inaccurate" (or what you're calling "bad" even though it doesn't even exist yet...) depictions of a character are strictly detrimental. Exposure IS important. A character, person, thing being present DOES matter. Mary Magdalene is still a hot topic 2000 years after the first Christian Bibles were put together just because she -was there- when Home-Boy's tomb was open and empty. And further, it is dumb as hell that you are so arrogant to suggest it's "Your way or no way." You have NO IDEA how they might depict Polaris, because you are so preoccupied with a story element as opposed to characterization.

You might not like certain elements, but the X-Men 97 has some of the most accurate / definitive characterization adaptations we've seen yet.

It is stupid to suggest that just because you don't like a creative decision made that adapted Polaris (and others) out of their Genoshan roles, that nothing positive could happen in the show at all. And to "fight" or whatever to keep the character away from the show, and deprive the fandom of something that could be amazing is the wrong move. Embarrassing to read.

Hell, even Val Cooper and Trish Tilby are characterized amazingly. Amelia Voght got like 2 lines and her character was crystal clear. Emma had maybe 5, all iconic.

I want to see Polaris thrive on the show. I don't expect it, but I have high hopes.
    Queen of Mutants, Mistress of Magnetism, Magnetrix and the MII, Pestilence of the Horsemen of Apocalypse, the Krakoan Oracle and creator of the Sanctus Sacrum Tournament Key, the Threshold Seed Shaper, Brood Queen of the Fall of the House of X, Lorna Sally Dane, Ph.D., of the House of M, Polaris of the X-Men

Beau is pretty active on Twitter and responds to fan questions and requests about what's being done with their fav characters. You should try commenting there and asking him about Lorna and why she wasn't utilized. He might respond or hint if something is being planned with her for the future. He's already given lots of hints and explanations to fans of Storm, Jean, Wolverine, etc.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by whitecrown View Post
    For that to occur, first we'd have to have a reveal that Lorna is even his daughter. Just like we still haven't had the reveal that Scott and Alex are siblings.
    Was just saying that her appearing on the show could be handled badly, so not sure if it's good or not that she's not...

Quote Originally Posted by GoingGreen View Post
    The first time I was exposed to Polaris, she was a giant amazon with no magnetic abilities, fighting Namorita. So, I disagree that "inaccurate" (or what you're calling "bad" even though it doesn't even exist yet...) depictions of a character are strictly detrimental. Exposure IS important. A character, person, thing being present DOES matter. Mary Magdalene is still a hot topic 2000 years after the first Christian Bibles were put together just because she -was there- when Home-Boy's tomb was open and empty. And further, it is dumb as hell that you are so arrogant to suggest it's "Your way or no way." You have NO IDEA how they might depict Polaris, because you are so preoccupied with a story element as opposed to characterization.

You might not like certain elements, but the X-Men 97 has some of the most accurate / definitive characterization adaptations we've seen yet.

It is stupid to suggest that just because you don't like a creative decision made that adapted Polaris (and others) out of their Genoshan roles, that nothing positive could happen in the show at all. And to "fight" or whatever to keep the character away from the show, and deprive the fandom of something that could be amazing is the wrong move. Embarrassing to read.

Hell, even Val Cooper and Trish Tilby are characterized amazingly. Amelia Voght got like 2 lines and her character was crystal clear. Emma had maybe 5, all iconic.

I want to see Polaris thrive on the show. I don't expect it, but I have high hopes.
    It only doesn’t seem like a big problem to you because what you want to see hasn’t been cut off at the knees. Also, I’m fairly sure that you expect what you most want is going to happen, which is why you’re saying this show has the “most accurate” depictions when it really doesn’t without Lorna as a survivor of the Genoshan genocide.

You can be embarrassed all you want. I’m not, at all, when I know I’m right.

Quote Originally Posted by whitecrown View Post
    Beau is pretty active on Twitter and responds to fan questions and requests about what's being done with their fav characters. You should try commenting there and asking him about Lorna and why she wasn't utilized. He might respond or hint if something is being planned with her for the future. He's already given lots of hints and explanations to fans of Storm, Jean, Wolverine, etc.
    1) I deleted my Twitter account when Musk decided to exploit old tweets for AI garbage. I’m not going back to the dumpster fire.
    2) I’ve been told (but can’t directly confirm; X prevents people without accounts from browsing properly) that people have messaged Beau about Lorna and the genocide and he’s ignored them. But he did respond to a Havolaris fan who thought they saw Havolaris in a scene. So if all that’s true, Beau wouldn’t respond anyway.
    Last edited by salarta; 04-24-2024 at 06:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    Was just saying that her appearing on the show could be handled badly, so not sure if it's good or not that she's not...
    My personal guess is that Wanda and Pietro are going to be ignored. As long as they aren't mutants or Magneto's kids in the comics for now, I don't see them being followed up on which leaves a void for Lorna to fill that role. Pietro technically has made a couple of easter egg appearances, but they seem more based on his time on X-Factor during the 90s with Forge than anything else. There's been nothing with Wanda.

Fan speculation right now is that S2 of the show could lead into AoA with Magneto's reformation being over and him returning to his old ways. People think Rogue might join Magneto's side so there's space for other characters to show up and be part of his world view.

And as pointed out in the other threads, it seems like some of the dead characters could return as horsemen including Gambit. Potentially, Lorna could be used as a horseman here especially if Magneto is viewed as a big threat by Apocalypse and he wants to specifically target Magneto through his daughter. Maybe Magneto will only learn that Lorna is his daughter because of Apocalypse.

It only doesn’t seem like a big problem to you because what you want to see hasn’t been cut off at the knees. Also, I’m fairly sure that you expect what you most want is going to happen, which is why you’re saying this show has the “most accurate” depictions when it really doesn’t without Lorna as a survivor of the Genoshan genocide.

You can be embarrassed all you want. I’m not, at all, when I know I’m right.
    I know you are absolutely wrong.

And digest a little before you respond to me, because, and I'll repeat myself, I said accurate characterizations. The show cannot depict every story accurately. It would be an impossible feat, and you'd lose the audience in a heartbeat.

You don't know anything that I "want" to see on the show, get outta here.
    Queen of Mutants, Mistress of Magnetism, Magnetrix and the MII, Pestilence of the Horsemen of Apocalypse, the Krakoan Oracle and creator of the Sanctus Sacrum Tournament Key, the Threshold Seed Shaper, Brood Queen of the Fall of the House of X, Lorna Sally Dane, Ph.D., of the House of M, Polaris of the X-Men