Page 39 of 47 FirstFirst ... 29353637383940414243 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    Interviewer: You’ve drawn so many Marvel characters at this point… Do you have a white whale you haven’t tackled yet?

Russell Dauterman: I’ve been really lucky and grateful to draw my favorites already! I do have a wishlist for my costumes cover series though — I’d love for that to be an ongoing thing that I can keep coming back to over time. Cyclops, Polaris, Magneto, Loki — they’re at the top of my list for costumes variants. Today as I’m saying this, one of those actually got approved by Marvel!

Link

I expect he is a bit sheepish on the subject as he gave a lite truncated version of Lorna’s world redefining storyline to Rogue. If at the end of the season Gambit and other characters are resurrected as Horseman, but Lorna is still completely cut off from the island meaning she was never there I am done with the series.

I am an old TAS fan. Watched it religiously when it came out, but no version of Lorna can exist that I will be able to identify with. Just a 90s throwback bouncing back and forth against boyfriend, ex, or dad. I don’t care if Lorna loves or hates Havok nor Magneto nor do I give a flying fig about cheap assed control plots which is the dog s**t of pathos.
    Yeah thsi series seems to be making almost everyone but main cast window dressing... if that.

Interviewer: You’ve drawn so many Marvel characters at this point… Do you have a white whale you haven’t tackled yet?

Russell Dauterman: I’ve been really lucky and grateful to draw my favorites already! I do have a wishlist for my costumes cover series though — I’d love for that to be an ongoing thing that I can keep coming back to over time. Cyclops, Polaris, Magneto, Loki — they’re at the top of my list for costumes variants. Today as I’m saying this, one of those actually got approved by Marvel!

Link

I expect he is a bit sheepish on the subject as he gave a lite truncated version of Lorna’s world redefining storyline to Rogue. If at the end of the season Gambit and other characters are resurrected as Horseman, but Lorna is still completely cut off from the island meaning she was never there I am done with the series.

I am an old TAS fan. Watched it religiously when it came out, but no version of Lorna can exist that I will be able to identify with. Just a 90s throwback bouncing back and forth against boyfriend, ex, or dad. I don’t care if Lorna loves or hates Havok nor Magneto nor do I give a flying fig about cheap assed control plots which is the dog s**t of pathos.
    Lorna has long been overdue a cover. I was waiting for when she'd get one so it's nice to hear she's on the shortlist.

The sad thing is that general audiences will see the Genosha plotline and now it'll be Rogue's story rather than Lorna's. Online whenever I see this briefly mentioned by Lorna fans, the only reaction they ever get from others is "Polaris actually has fans?" No wonder she gets no respect in storylines when the majority are still treating her like an invisible character. And I don't even blame these people because Marvel has given them no reason to notice her or think she has fans because any character with as passionate a fandom as Lorna has would normally be elevated.

Gambit probably coming back as a horseman only makes Lorna being snubbed even more egregious. Because she goes perfectly hand in hand with both Genosha and the Horsemen storylines.

Quote Originally Posted by whitecrown View Post
    Lorna has long been overdue a cover. I was waiting for when she'd get one so it's nice to hear she's on the shortlist.

The sad thing is that general audiences will see the Genosha plotline and now it'll be Rogue's story rather than Lorna's. Online whenever I see this briefly mentioned by Lorna fans, the only reaction they ever get from others is "Polaris actually has fans?" No wonder she gets no respect in storylines when the majority are still treating her like an invisible character. And I don't even blame these people because Marvel has given them no reason to notice her or think she has fans because any character with as passionate a fandom as Lorna has would normally be elevated.

Gambit probably coming back as a horseman only makes Lorna being snubbed even more egregious. Because she goes perfectly hand in hand with both Genosha and the Horsemen storylines.
    Horsemen are a dime a dozen. Mind control never does much of anything for characters really. If it did Lorna would have been the most popular x-women of the 70s and 80s.

The Genosha decision though that is completely different and terrible for her in a way she probably won’t be able to recover from unless the MCU saves her.
    Last edited by jmc247; 04-26-2024 at 11:14 AM.

Link
    Hopefully Dauterman gets to do Lorna, and hopefully they allow him to respect Lorna's history with Genosha in the process of doing it.

In the case you're citing, I don't think the "Polaris actually has fans" reaction is a genuine reflection of lack of awareness. I think it's assholes being assholes, trying to make Lorna out to be a nobody as justification for having everything about her stolen away and given to other characters they like more. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they're the same people who said Lorna shouldn't have been included in the first X-Men vote because she's too high profile compared to the others on the list.

Lorna, conveniently too high profile for some things and conveniently too obscure for other things. According to assholes.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    Hopefully Dauterman gets to do Lorna, and hopefully they allow him to respect Lorna's history with Genosha in the process of doing it.

In the case you're citing, I don't think the "Polaris actually has fans" reaction is a genuine reflection of lack of awareness. I think it's assholes being assholes, trying to make Lorna out to be a nobody as justification for having everything about her stolen away and given to other characters they like more. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they're the same people who said Lorna shouldn't have been included in the first X-Men vote because she's too high profile compared to the others on the list.

Lorna, conveniently too high profile for some things and conveniently too obscure for other things
    . According to assholes.
    Exactly, they love to shift Lorna depending on which argument can sideline her. She's too high-profile to include...except all the other times when she's considered too obscure and not popular or a favorite enough to justify spotlighting compared to the real A-Listers.

When Rogue joined the Uncanny Avengers, a lot of her fandom was happy that she was spared from the toxicity of the X-Men and got genuine growth and development on the Avengers side. I'm wondering if the main thing holding back Lorna isn't how the X-Men franchise has pigeonholed her into the same miniscule spot for decades now and the cleanest break would be to move over to another part of the MU. If we can't get a House of M book, we could at least get Lorna shifted on over to an Avengers team with Wanda and Pietro. I'd be curious to see if being an Avenger would give her more respect and importance, especially if readers are constantly associating her with Wanda again.

Exactly, they love to shift Lorna depending on which argument can sideline her. She's too high-profile to include...except all the other times when she's considered too obscure and not popular or a favorite enough to justify spotlighting compared to the real A-Listers.

When Rogue joined the Uncanny Avengers, a lot of her fandom was happy that she was spared from the toxicity of the X-Men and got genuine growth and development on the Avengers side. I'm wondering if the main thing holding back Lorna isn't how the X-Men franchise has pigeonholed her into the same miniscule spot for decades now and the cleanest break would be to move over to another part of the MU. If we can't get a House of M book, we could at least get Lorna shifted on over to an Avengers team with Wanda and Pietro. I'd be curious to see if being an Avenger would give her more respect and importance, especially if readers are constantly associating her with Wanda again.
    Lorna’s problem is until she exists for a reason and is allowed a actual clearly defined motivation long term she is in a hole. Lorna’s role on Wolverine and the X-Men was far far better then she will get on TAS because there she had a clearly defined role.
    Last edited by jmc247; 04-26-2024 at 02:44 PM.

Lorna’s problem is until she exists for a reason and is allowed a actual clearly defined motivation long term she is in a hole. Lorna’s role on Wolverine and the X-Men was far far better then she will get on TAS because there she had a clearly defined role.
    Beau's vision - Polaris: Queen of X-Factor/Mistress of Havok

"Lorna actually has fans?"

That's a troll who doesn't like the Polaris fandom. Polaris has global fans. My friend D'Manda, a drag queen who doesn't frequent online culture, did a Polaris-Bride look. Dax! has done Polaris. The character has dedicated and casual fans. Anyone who says a line like that is just being a dick to be a dick.

But also, I get frustrated by the Polaris fandom too (as I'm sure all of you do, because we all come with unique and staunch perspectives). I just value that we all have a mission in uplifting this character everywhere and in every way we can.
    Queen of Mutants, Mistress of Magnetism, Magnetrix and the MII, Pestilence of the Horsemen of Apocalypse, the Krakoan Oracle and creator of the Sanctus Sacrum Tournament Key, the Threshold Seed Shaper, Brood Queen of the Fall of the House of X, Lorna Sally Dane, Ph.D., of the House of M, Polaris of the X-Men

Quote Originally Posted by Magnetic View Post
    Beau's vision - Polaris: Queen of X-Factor/Mistress of Havok
    This was one of the TAS folks that I saw at Comic Con in 2022. He had a art photo album with Havok in his 1992 uniform and Lorna looking like she is his other half behind him.

The problem was they didn’t know how Havok would or should actually fit into anything because he was basically in Scott’s X-Men role on X-Factor and there didn’t need to be a second Scott.

The same issue existed for Lorna and Jean. She was the replacement Jean of X-Factor in every way that mattered, but the line didn’t need another Jean and once people stopped flowing to X-Factor for PAD’s witty one liners everything collapsed.

I am not here to talk about Havok, but to explain in many ways Havok fans haven’t grappled with their favorites big problem. Most of them I talk to want him in a role that is way too much Scott 2.0 which the line doesn’t need and TAS didn’t need.

What is Lorna’s position as far as the X-Men is concerned? What does she bring that no one else can? I would argue nothing for TAS at this point. You already have a vastly more popular daughter of Magneto and Jean exists as well.

This was where the House of M concept that Wolverine and the X-Men championed could have been a real winner, but it really can’t be done in TAS at this point.

This was one of the TAS folks that I saw at Comic Con in 2022. He had a art photo album with Havok in his 1992 uniform and Lorna looking like she is his other half behind him.

The problem was they didn’t know how Havok would or should actually fit into anything because he was basically in Scott’s X-Men role on X-Factor and there didn’t need to be a second Scott.

The same issue existed for Lorna and Jean. She was the replacement Jean of X-Factor in every way that mattered, but the line didn’t need another Jean and once people stopped flowing to X-Factor for PAD’s witty one liners everything collapsed.

I am not here to talk about Havok, but to explain in many ways Havok fans haven’t grappled with their favorites big problem. Most of them I talk to want him in a role that is way too much Scott 2.0 which the line doesn’t need and TAS didn’t need.

What is Lorna’s position as far as the X-Men is concerned? What does she bring that no one else can? I would argue nothing for TAS at this point. You already have a vastly more popular daughter of Magneto and Jean exists as well.

This was where the House of M concept that Wolverine and the X-Men championed could have been a real winner, but it really can’t be done in TAS at this point.
    This reductionist way of looking at characters kinda ruins the entire appeal of X-Men. Which admittedly... is very true to how Beau has been doing '97. But that doesn't make it a GOOD thing.

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

I'd love to see Dauterman get a chance to do a Polaris' costume cover! I hope that idea comes to fruition one day.

I'm not always fond of a united House of M, but I continue to appreciate how Orlando includes Lorna in Wanda and Pietro's life. I'm hoping Lorna is actually in the issue with her being on the cover, but you never know.

As for where Polaris might land post Krakoa, I don't know. I personally don't mind Lorna being on X-factor. Yes, I think she should be on other teams, but if she gets a good writer and plot on a title like X-Factor, then I don't think that's a bad thing IMO. I honestly just hope Lorna has a home somewhere. Really worried she might not be included anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    This reductionist way of looking at characters kinda ruins the entire appeal of X-Men. Which admittedly... is very true to how Beau has been doing '97. But that doesn't make it a GOOD thing.
    The MCU X-Men films are being planned and the execs are reportedly getting ready to pick the script writer. Some characters I would imagine will be dropped in preset roles... Jean, Storm, Xavier, Magneto we know the names.

Then there is some leeway for a few more names. Ironically Rogue in the X-Men 1-3 films who was a much-panned character was in a role very similar to Lorna before the Genosha genocide. Bobby's girlfriend, used by Magneto for her powers, etc. She was very similar to old school Lorna. TAS has moved Rogue into a more post Genosha Lorna position which is a role that Rogue could fill in upcoming MCU films.

It shouldn't be a nasty fight for a few core positions as far as the X-Men's mythos is concerned, but it is as no one wants their character to fall into the hole. Emma and Lorna fans long should have gotten along. The two characters have alot in common, but too much pettiness about roles interfered with them developing something interesting.

Lorna will be in many comics coming up of that I am certain for those with worries about their Lorna fix being met. But, the bigger issue is being decided right now as far as the MCU is concerned if Lorna will ever be known and respected by the masses and that will be decided by if a role is there for her. Lorna fandom is a complex thing because she has been in so many roles over the years.
    Last edited by jmc247; 04-27-2024 at 11:39 AM.

The MCU X-Men films are being planned and the execs are reportedly getting ready to pick the script writer. Some characters I would imagine will be dropped in preset roles... Jean, Storm, Xavier, Magneto we know the names.

Then there is some leeway for a few more names. Ironically Rogue in the X-Men 1-3 films who was a much-panned character was in a role very similar to Lorna before the Genosha genocide. Bobby's girlfriend, used by Magneto for her powers, etc. She was very similar to old school Lorna. TAS has moved Rogue into a more post Genosha Lorna position which is a role that Rogue could fill in upcoming MCU films.

It shouldn't be a nasty fight for a few core positions as far as the X-Men's mythos is concerned, but it is as no one wants their character to fall into the hole. Emma and Lorna fans long should have gotten along. The two characters have alot in common, but too much pettiness about roles interfered with them developing something interesting.

Lorna will be in many comics coming up of that I am certain for those with worries about their Lorna fix being met. But, the bigger issue is being decided right now as far as the MCU is concerned if Lorna will ever be known and respected by the masses and that will be decided by if a role is there for her. Lorna fandom is a complex thing because she has been in so many roles over the years.
    lol, fan bickering... minor foot notes really.

Fox X-Men had one major HUGE issue.... not enough characters. Costumes were a miss, but not the worst thing they did. X-Men has a HUGE cast to cover, and if you can't do that you're doing it wrong.

Considering how much respect the MCU has lost in recent years, maybe Lorna being left out of future movies would be a mercy.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    lol, fan bickering... minor foot notes really.

Fox X-Men had one major HUGE issue.... not enough characters. Costumes were a miss, but not the worst thing they did. X-Men has a HUGE cast to cover, and if you can't do that you're doing it wrong.
    They were trying to expand their cast big time in the rebooted stuff. Even child Lorna managed to be in there, blink and you will miss her.

This was the year the family was destroyed in the comics in part due to synergy and in part I suspect due to revenge for Fox using Quicksilver. What happens in the films and animation directly impacts the comics. Wishing it weren’t so doesn’t change it is so.

The MCU of late has grown too big and arrogent. Success isn’t just handed to you. Fox’s mistake after DoFP was trying to follow the MCU’s formula instead of their own.

X-Men 97 is successful so far, but shouldn’t influence what the comics do. But, we all know it will to some degree.
    Last edited by jmc247; 04-27-2024 at 12:22 PM.