Page 35 of 44 FirstFirst ... 25313233343536373839 ... LastLast

Nice to see Malice standing out.

I see a mix of pros and cons with this cover.

The main pro is that we have a depiction of Lorna with the O5. I would normally complain about Havok being close to her (he could’ve been placed on the opposite side), but for the sake of the pro, I’ll refrain. That she’s in a pose from her intro issues, wearing an outfit close to her original outfit (her original headpiece was gold, not green) is another pro. Also, unless I missed it, no X-Factor depiction of her on the covers. Another huge plus.

There are a couple cons. First, I consider Malice in Lorna’s body having a much bigger visual than Lorna herself to be a con. It basically suggests that being possessed by Malice is the most important period for her, and more important than Lorna herself, when we all know that’s not the case. The second con is, in my opinion, no Genosha reference for her. It’s not one I’m going to make a huge buzz about (at least presently) because I don’t see anything explicitly Genosha referenced anywhere else. But I think if Malice is gonna have such a big visual, then it’s very possible to do the same for Lorna’s most important period to date.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Quote Originally Posted by Magnetic View Post
    Dump a bunch of A-listers there....that might draw initial interest. Still sounds like 10 steps back. In the era of X-Men '97 - this may become reality.

I vote to keep Polaris far away if X-Factor's purpose is defined that way. Too vanilla - too generic - too X-Factor. Title dead in 12 issues or hopefully much less. Nobody reading that.
    X-Factor tried to save itself under the Mackie reign in the late 90s by bringing on Sabertooth and Mystique. It didn't work. Lorna was still way too vanilla a character with very pseudo toughness in that era.

The dark X-Factor set up was too obvious a plea to fans to please buy us again before they lightened up. If they were serious about their concept, it might have saved the title, but they weren't. Unless there is a wildly good idea for the new X-Factor with Lorna that works for the character in a way the past several have not there is zero chance I am buying it.
    Last edited by jmc247; 04-22-2024 at 01:51 PM.

Not a direct reply to jmc, just a statement on the topic. For my mind and money’s worth, I can’t see any idea for X-Factor that would make Lorna being on it offsetting the problem of her yet again stuck with the idea that she’s solely an X-Factor character. The only scenario where I see her on it being potentially okay is if she’s got Wolverine-everywhere-and-in-everything-along-with-own-solo levels of presence and play. She would have to have such broad exposure and such deep involvement in all things X-Men that being on X-Factor becomes just one of many places she happens to be.

I felt differently when 2020s X-Factor was going on. Back then, I thought she could just be on two titles. But then I saw how even winning the X-Men vote didn’t result in the most important parts of who she is getting acknowledged and used. Then add in comics and X-Men 97 ignoring her part in Genosha, and I think she really can’t be on X-Factor right now without being there doing major damage to her potential.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post

The main pro is that we have a depiction of Lorna with the O5. I would normally complain about Havok being close to her (he could’ve been placed on the opposite side), but for the sake of the pro, I’ll refrain. That she’s in a pose from her intro issues, wearing an outfit close to her original outfit (her original headpiece was gold, not green) is another pro. Also, unless I missed it, no X-Factor depiction of her on the covers. Another huge plus.

There are a couple cons. First, I consider Malice in Lorna’s body having a much bigger visual than Lorna herself to be a con. It basically suggests that being possessed by Malice is the most important period for her, and more important than Lorna herself, when we all know that’s not the case. The second con is, in my opinion, no Genosha reference for her. It’s not one I’m going to make a huge buzz about (at least presently) because I don’t see anything explicitly Genosha referenced anywhere else. But I think if Malice is gonna have such a big visual, then it’s very possible to do the same for Lorna’s most important period to date.
    Im pretty sure that was meant to be more of a depiction of Malice than Lorna. Up until recently, Malice had no default form and possessing Lorna is by far her most recognizable look.
    Last edited by Havok83; 04-22-2024 at 04:22 PM.

Not a direct reply to jmc, just a statement on the topic. For my mind and money’s worth, I can’t see any idea for X-Factor that would make Lorna being on it offsetting the problem of her yet again stuck with the idea that she’s solely an X-Factor character. The only scenario where I see her on it being potentially okay is if she’s got Wolverine-everywhere-and-in-everything-along-with-own-solo levels of presence and play. She would have to have such broad exposure and such deep involvement in all things X-Men that being on X-Factor becomes just one of many places she happens to be.

I felt differently when 2020s X-Factor was going on. Back then, I thought she could just be on two titles. But then I saw how even winning the X-Men vote didn’t result in the most important parts of who she is getting acknowledged and used. Then add in comics and X-Men 97 ignoring her part in Genosha, and I think she really can’t be on X-Factor right now without being there doing major damage to her potential.
    Oh, I do agree the damage done to further pigeonholing her as an X-Factor character means in the grand scheme of things she shouldn't be there even if her run there happens to be good, because the odds are the next one won't be. Most X-Factor fans I watch online are just waiting for that moment where everything comes together for the title like it did in their eyes in 1992. That wouldn't be a win for Lorna in the grand scheme of things if the book spends the next two decades going through writer after writer trying to reach that moment again with the title and the character.
    Last edited by jmc247; 04-22-2024 at 02:11 PM.

Which book do you think will be best for Polaris if cast shuffle out current members over time?

I don't mind Malice being there, but I agree with you Malice being that big and important is a no from me as well compared to other bad ass depictions of Lorna that were militant and frankly were Lorna and are nowhere to be seen. The best characters have their darker sides actually be a part of themselves.

Militant and Xavierite Lorna existed in her original story, but it wasn't her again until the early 2000s that it happened again.

Which book do you think will be best for Polaris if cast shuffle out current members over time?
    X-Men. It seems to be the most poractive of the main X-men teams and I'd love to see her in a book with Cyclops. Simone's book could also be fun considering she has ties with a few of that cast

Make her the leader of an Acolytes team

In the perfect world I would like a situation akin to that Wanda has right now, but she still has much work to do to build to that.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Make her the leader of an Acolytes team
    But, more realistically in there here and now that is not a bad option. In 2000 when she was on the Acolytes and had no solid stated title, she appeared that year on X-Men many times, Uncanny X-Men many times, she was on two miniseries, she had a few scenes on Cable, and even had a blink and you would miss her role on X-Force when they went to Genosha.

If they can't do that the next best option is a regular protagonist on X-Force or X-Men
    Last edited by jmc247; 04-22-2024 at 02:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Im pretty sure that was meant to be more of a depiction of Lorna than Malice. Up until recently, Malice had no default form and possessing Lorna is by far her most recognizable look.
    Lorna possessed Malice was Malice wearing a Lorna suit. It’s really the fools gold of dark character arcs because it said nothing about the character in question.

Its nice they included classic Lorna there and I don’t mind them including Malice controlled Lorna and I suspect you are right they see it as ‘dark Lorna’ even though it isn’t.

Last edited by jmc247; 04-22-2024 at 03:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    Lorna possessed Malice was Malice wearing a Lorna suit. It’s really the fools gold of dark character arcs because it said nothing about the character in question.

Its nice they included classic Lorna there and I don’t mind them including Malice controlled Lorna and I suspect you are right they see it as ‘dark Lorna’ even though it isn’t.

Oh I mixxed up what I meant. I think that was intended to represent Malice more than Lorna as the other Maraurders are there and well Lorna is her most famous form

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Oh I mixxed up what I meant. I think that was intended to represent Malice more than Lorna as the other Maraurders are there and well Lorna is her most famous form
    Makes sense and that's why I appreciate the inclusion when I dont expect it. Lorna making more than one appearance and immediately catch my attention. Probably not the way ppl want I understand.

Makes sense and that's why I appreciate the inclusion when I dont expect it. Lorna making more than one appearance and immediately catch my attention. Probably not the way ppl want I understand.
    I said I didn’t mind Malice there. I did find it odd that was the only other bigger ‘version of Lorna’ as some might see it. But, I checked on the artist and it makes more sense as it seems that is half of the X-Men as an era focusing it looks like on the 60s-80s.

Last edited by jmc247; 04-22-2024 at 06:34 PM.