Page 19 of 39 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Oh i couldnt disagree with this more. Austen nearly made Lorna irredeemnable? He redeemed her in the very next arc! Its not like he destroyed her character and left her a mess. He made it clear to show that she was dealing with trauma and he took the time to show her getting help for it to the point that she left that run not only a much stronger character mentally but happier as well. Even if he hadnt, nothing Lorna did would even register as remotely irredeemable. He broke her down in order to build her up and he did so quite well IMO. She without a doubt had the best character arc in that run and its still felt today.
    Correct. I would only add that Duggan's Lorna has been based on the same underlying conception as Austen only without the major trauma to overcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Haha this issue highlighted the difference between she and Jean. When Jean TK removed the nannites from Storm, it was a whole complex surgery complete with syncing with T’Challa to delicately remove them and minimize any injury to her. Lorna said F that and just used her powers to yank them out of Yana causing her to bleed with multiple wounds and lots of pain. But hey she did what needed to be done, right?
    90s Lorna really didn’t have nearly enough to seperate Lorna from Jean. Duggan’s Lorna does and alot of that is having to write them on the same title means the writer had to think about it.
    Last edited by jmc247; 03-06-2024 at 09:46 AM.

IMG_3016.jpg

“To me, my power lines!”
    Emma Frost, Rogue, Felicia Hardy, Helena Bertinelli, Allison Blaire, Barbara Gordon, Monica Rambeau, Carol Danvers, Illyana Rasputin, Ororo Munroe, Harleen Quinzel, Lorna Dane, Irene Adler, Kate Kane, Rachel Grey Summers, Jean Grey, Diana Prince, Barbara Ann Minerva, Donna Troy, Jennifer Walters, Gwen Stacy, Wanda Maximoff = PERFECTION!

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

That reads so weird. Duggan's writing has really taken a nose-dive for the worst.

We know she was emotionally affected by Magneto's death in that one (one!) page we saw (from Duggan) but to phrase it like that..."I have depression" instead of "I was depressed"...it feels like a gross disservice to the character.

Personally...I've never held to the story that she suffers from mental disorders (despite what some writers have written) as they seem to shift and change diagnosis and intensity with the writer and the scenario as if they cannot make up their minds as to what exactly she is suffering from. Is she actually bi-polar? Is it PTSD? Or...was it just the natural way her mind was reacting to the stressful situations she was in at the various times and she's mentally and emotionally healthy?

Genuine question as I haven't read every Polaris appearance but...in the comic books, does she actually seek professional help coming to terms and dealing with her mental/emotional issues? Because it seems to me that since it's such a poignant subject, if you're going to write a character as bi-polar then you would/should treat that plot development with some gravitas and not like a throwaway bullet point as we saw there in XM 32.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    That reads so weird. Duggan's writing has really taken a nose-dive for the worst.

We know she was emotionally affected by Magneto's death in that one (one!) page we saw (from Duggan) but to phrase it like that..."I have depression" instead of "I was depressed"...it feels like a gross disservice to the character.

Personally...I've never held to the story that she suffers from mental disorders (despite what some writers have written) as they seem to shift and change diagnosis and intensity with the writer and the scenario as if they cannot make up their minds as to what exactly she is suffering from. Is she actually bi-polar? Is it PTSD? Or...was it just the natural way her mind was reacting to the stressful situations she was in at the various times and she's mentally and emotionally healthy?

Genuine question as I haven't read every Polaris appearance but...in the comic books, does she actually seek professional help coming to terms and dealing with her mental/emotional issues? Because it seems to me that since it's such a poignant subject, if you're going to write a character as bi-polar then you would/should treat that plot development with some gravitas and not like a throwaway bullet point as we saw there in XM 32.
    Outside of two forced therapy sessions on panel (90s X-Factor with Doc Samson, and the psychic therapy session with Xavier that Nurse Annie was inexplicably allowed to join), no, she's never been shown to have sought help. I think it may have been implied one time that she had a couple of session with Xavier to help her. Also, there was one time Siryn became a war goddess to help her find balance during a psychosis upon learning she was responsible for killing her parents, and not Magneto.

I agree with your entire post, though I'm not QUITE as critical of Duggan's work we saw today. It's not the worst, imo, but definitely could use help.
    Queen of Mutants, Mistress of Magnetism, Magnetrix and the MII, Pestilence of the Horsemen of Apocalypse, the Krakoan Oracle and creator of the Sanctus Sacrum Tournament Key, the Threshold Seed Shaper, Brood Queen of the Fall of the House of X, Lorna Sally Dane, Ph.D., of the House of M, Polaris of the X-Men

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post

Yeah I thought the I have depression line was written so oddly. We never even saw her go to the Gala so I’d have just written it as she never attended

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Exactatiously. I thought she didn't attend because she was grieving. So when I read she left...

I haven't read the entire issue just going by what I saw here and in the review thread...it reads stilted and awful across all the characters.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 03-06-2024 at 11:54 AM.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by Luckystar. View Post
    This June, creators from the X-Men’s past, present, and future come together to bid a final farewell to the Krakoan Age in 'X-Men' #35, the milestone 700th issue of Uncanny X-Men! Read more: https://www.marvel.com/articles/comi...le-uncanny-700

X-MEN #35 (LEGACY #700)
    Written by GERRY DUGGAN, KIERON GILLEN, AL EWING, CHRIS CLAREMONT & GAIL SIMONE
    Art by PHIL NOTO, JOSHUA CASSARA, LUCAS WERNECK, JEROME OPEÑA, STEFANO CASELLI, WALTER SIMONSON, LEINIL FRANCIS YU & MORE
    Wraparound Cover by PEPE LARRAZ
    On Sale 6/5
    Polaris in Cover Thanks Luckystar.

In Rod Reis Instagram Histories

It’s looking increasingly like for Mags they are going to take a page out of X-Men 97 for the next era meaning a reform Magneto trying to be Xavier again.

Topps card

The only time Polaris has voluntarily gone to therapy was here. It was due to her feeling lost without Havok and feeling dumb for even feeling that way.

https://pin.it/5POInwENM
    https://pin.it/550jfXQaB

Based on the previews,my guess is Magneto might be running the school and Xavier will be Prisoner X. Lorna’s best chance of being used in the next era is either on the superhero X-Men team or the 2nd strike team going after the machine threat. I don’t really see her as a teacher at the school.