Page 3 of 40 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

It was interesting to see pre-Revolutionary Scott’s reaction back then. Wolverine gave her thumbs up though for that one after they crucified Jubilee among others.

Quote Originally Posted by Celestialbodies View Post
    Agreed!

I loved the imagery and strength the Mags costume invokes but I didn't like Lorna in that costume very much.

THIS costume, feels like the nature progression of where Lorna is in this moment while honoring everything about her. But my absolute favorite thing about the costume which is great is the helmet is again invokes imagery of her familial bonds while remaining unique to Lorna. This intention placed on honoring no celebrating her character in her design is lovely, also very reminiscent of why I loved the Bets Disamessbled design in that it incorporates various pieces or callbacks to other uniforms.
    I noticed this managed a thousand likes in one hour today.

Last edited by jmc247; 01-04-2024 at 04:44 AM.

Happy New Year 2024 to Lorna Dane Polaris and all her fans!

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

With Jean having such a presence in the Fall of the House of X (despite currently being in the WHR), I'm wondering if maybe she and Lorna planned this back when Jean was killed at the Gala. We saw Jean reach out to others before she passed, maybe she reached out to Polaris too.

I'm hoping that Duggan will fill in some blanks in issue two.

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post

A comparison to her X-Men Hidden Years look above. Similar. From the side.
    I can see that. However, I much prefer the "antenna" of the original tiara, and wish it was utilized more.

Werneck posted the concept art.

https://twitter.com/LukasWerneck/sta...45347394044154

Seems like the little gold accents were added by the colorist.

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GDAtgCVX...name=4096x4096

Nice! Thanks for posting.

Personally, I hope the gold is here to stay. I think it was a nice touch.

I was just comparing this design to his 2020 concept.

Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

Edit: Sorry for the double, it wasn't showing up on Firefox! Thanks for posting!

From Werneck:

"Here is a model for the new Polaris suit,
    They asked me for a costume that paid homage to her father's suit, so I brought some elements from Magneto's costume that could work, but trying to maintain the character's uniqueness,
    I hope you liked it <3"
    Last edited by superjosh; 01-04-2024 at 11:36 AM. Reason: add quote

Astonishing Member

I also liked the yellow gold elements -- especially since she's worn those before during the Steranko era and then again in the Byrne era. I also prefer the black to be a very dark green as shown in the story. Both the 'necklace' and the helmet can go away once Magneto is back. Or at least modified both to lose some of the Magneto aspects.

Also, its going for a second printing already.

Astonishing Member

I've already commented on the outfit, but without having yet read the story (have probably seen all of Lorna's moments in the story) that scene with her shouting 'Then... to war!' will no doubt be one of her most iconic panels of her existence. Honestly, that one panel goes a long way to giving her more of a presence in the X-titles. Hoping it leads to more good things in the future for her.

I agree that this is shaping to be a very iconic moment for Lorna, among her best if it's heading in the direction it appears to be. The groundwork out of the latest issue is already stellar and better than most representation she's had this past decade.

I disagree about the helmet. I think this one's a meaningful evolution of her look. Her tiara is clearly integrated into the design of this helmet, so it's retaining that part of her visual identity. It's a different helmet style and approach than what Magneto has - shows her ears, lets her hair out. The helmet style separates her from the styles of Magneto and Wanda.

I'm glad Werneck posted the concept art, because I could definitely see people cosplaying this look in the near future.

A lot of thought and care has clearly gone into Lorna's showing this time, from both a writing and an art perspective. I greatly appreciate that out of Duggan, Werneck, everyone involved. When people saw me complaining about treatment of Lorna so much in the past, it was because I knew Lorna could be and do so much more than what we were seeing. I think (and hope coming issues match what I'm about to say) that what we're seeing now is precisely the sort of thing I had been wanting and hoping for all this time. She's in the spotlight for the X-Men comics' biggest current event. In that spotlight, what she thinks and feels, what she's capable of with both powers and talents, her history and her connections, all of them matter here. Not shackled by past bad treatment, but freed to move toward her actual potential.

There's recognition here that she matters, and she has a great deal to offer. Not as a supporting character for "better" characters, not as a punching bag or punchline, not as a plot device or an exposition board to be talked at or mansplained to. As herself, directly involved in the action of her own accord following her own desires and philosophies. It's great to see and I hope she continues to get respectful treatment in this vein.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

The helmet style she has now is unique to what Wanda or Magneto wears. It keeps aspects of her visual identity, while being different as well. It doesn't scream Magneto's helmet or Wanda's tiara, but has a light feel of their family's identity. That doesn't mean the outfit couldn't be tweaked various ways here and there to improve it, but the helmet is the core feature that gives Lorna a more mature and unique feel.

I believe that it's been planned a long time even back to the Leah Williams era for Lorna to a coming-of-age moment at the end of the Krakoa era. What that moment happens to be I am sure has changed over time. There has been a lot of treading of water up to now. This could represent the start of a new era... perhaps even age for the character or just a strong moment before a return to recycled themes. Time will tell.

She isn't just being written as a support character at the moment for other characters stories at the moment and yes her own views and philosophy matters. That is a very positive change of pace.
    Last edited by jmc247; 01-05-2024 at 02:52 AM.

Im not af an of the bodysuit part
    Last edited by Havok83; 01-05-2024 at 08:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Im not a an of the bodysuit part
    The body is the weaker portion of the outfit. The classic 60s design is better in that area though not the top.

Link