Page 60 of 69 FirstFirst ... 1050565758596061626364 ... LastLast

^Then why did TH push the question of "a queer, mutant woman assuming the role of a patriotic hero" over the course of four years?
    Last edited by Selene; 04-22-2024 at 06:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Psycwave View Post
    Ngl I feel like I was reading a different book whenever y'all talk about Betsy being a patriot lol. She was very much always pushing back against the British government and consistently forgot they existed while worrying mostly about krakoa and Otherworld. It was such a big reason about why they hated her. And even when she finally did start to decide to start playing nice in her solo it was mostly for pr reasons, and Unlimited has quickly shattered those again. She's still always been about mutants first rather than defending "queen and country".
    No one ever said she was being a patriot. The way TH wrote her was that she had to be proper and heroic now becuase of her past. Even though she was already CB previously and a hero. So she talked different and acted different in her version. She spoke in "queen and country" rhetoric. And she played nice for far too long. She pushed back against Akkaba. Some of yall are acting like it wasnt 4 years of the same thing. But anyways. We know she's still going to be Captain Britain. We will see in July how she is going to be written now.

I wonder if Redjack is reading the Unlimited series.

Quote Originally Posted by Selene View Post
    ^Then why did TH push the question of "a queer, mutant woman assuming the role of a patriotic hero" over the course of four years?
    Because she was bad at it and to help emphasize how at odds it was with her personality? Betsy wasn't a patriot. She doesn't even care about Britain. As we were constantly reminded by her staying in Otherworld and people bringing up her Krakoan status.

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    No one ever said she was being a patriot. The way TH wrote her was that she had to be proper and heroic now becuase of her past. Even though she was already CB previously and a hero. So she talked different and acted different in her version. She spoke in "queen and country" rhetoric. And she played nice for far too long. She pushed back against Akkaba. Some of yall are acting like it wasnt 4 years of the same thing. But anyways. We know she's still going to be Captain Britain. We will see in July how she is going to be written now.

I wonder if Redjack is reading the Unlimited series.
    I've definitely seen multiple people have said she was a patriot. I'll always agree that TH had missteps with Betsy and the whole "I have to be good and nice" was laid on way too thick but her two CB tenures are wildly different. She was facing completely different obstacles and had gone through multiple existential crises so I won't fault her for trying things a different way. Some of y'all are acting like the way Tini wrote Betsy is the only way writers will do it moving forward despite already seeing otherwise. Heck, even Tini wasn't writing Betsy the same way by the end of BBCB as she was at the beginning of Excalibur. It was still mid but definitely not the same.

Pretty sure people are saying that they dont like patriotic heroes becuase thats what they become relegated to but moving on.

She is Captain Britain in the new era too. So we deal and hope she is written well. And hopefully MT gives a different approach to art.

Mighty Member

I think people are hating that she is a “patriotic themed hero”.. Captain Britain, Captain America etc.. it’s a patriotic brand and those characters don’t usually fare well (besides Cap America).

I’m not a fan of the CB thing for that reason (which is weird because I don’t mind Brian in the role). Obviously I prefer how she was written back in the day.. cunning, mysterious, smart etc and that was before the “body swap”

Because she was bad at it and to help emphasize how at odds it was with her personality? Betsy wasn't a patriot. She doesn't even care about Britain. As we were constantly reminded by her staying in Otherworld and people bringing up her Krakoan status.

I've definitely seen multiple people have said she was a patriot. I'll always agree that TH had missteps with Betsy and the whole "I have to be good and nice" was laid on way too thick but her two CB tenures are wildly different. She was facing completely different obstacles and had gone through multiple existential crises so I won't fault her for trying things a different way. Some of y'all are acting like the way Tini wrote Betsy is the only way writers will do it moving forward despite already seeing otherwise. Heck, even Tini wasn't writing Betsy the same way by the end of BBCB as she was at the beginning of Excalibur. It was still mid but definitely not the same.
    Totally agree especially with the first part. When the Quiet Council gave her the ultimatum at the end of Excalibur between diplomacy to smooth things over with Britain or continue fighting for Otherworld, she made her clear choice. She did what she did for her country out of what she felt was her responsibility, but she didn't like any of it and told the media to kick rocks. I personally never saw her as a patriotic hero, she was wildly uncomfortable in it and to me was written a bit too whiny at times. But as far as being a warrior who doesn't back down from anything, I got what I wanted and I'm glad Foxe has continued that in Unlimited.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

It'd be cool if she were to take down Saul the dragon by herself while the others battle Abe and Nico.

I actually think the themes of Krakoa kinda made all the mutants patriotic to an extent. They were all about their land and new country. We saw them constantly dealing the UN and other government entities, the Quiet council is a governing body of its own, all the Orchis stuff, Storm/Arakko was political, etc. Betsy adapted to it in a way that fit her but I don't know if that's all people see her as. The Steves have her saying eff Britain though so it'll really all come down to her mindset in X-Force. (Which I'm very happy she returned to as a team. Feels like home)

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post

It'd be cool if she were to take down Saul the dragon by herself while the others battle Abe and Nico.
    Oh this is kinda hot.

I actually think the themes of Krakoa kinda made all the mutants patriotic to an extent. They were all about their land and new country. We saw them constantly dealing the UN and other government entities, the Quiet council is a governing body of its own, all the Orchis stuff, Storm/Arakko was political, etc. Betsy adapted to it in a way that fit her but I don't know if that's all people see her as. The Steves have her saying eff Britain though so it'll really all come down to her mindset in X-Force. (Which I'm very happy she returned to as a team. Feels like home)

Oh this is kinda hot.
    I'm very happy as well with her being part of an X-team again. It's absolutely possible to have the best of both worlds when it comes to her being an X-character and CB.

I think some of us just should agree to disagree. Some like her as Captain Britain in her patriotic colored uniform and others do not. Moving on.

Also her dialogue in Unlimited has greatly improved IMO.

Im excited to see how Redjack will juggle it all together.

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    I think some of us just should agree to disagree. Some like her as Captain Britain in her patriotic colored uniform and others do not. Moving on.

Also her dialogue in Unlimited has greatly improved IMO.

Im excited to see how Redjack will juggle it all together.
    Since you started it by saying "nonsense patriotic hero shenanigans" you don't get to say when we're moving on. I'll move on when I'm done talking, thank you kindly.

Since you started it by saying "nonsense patriotic hero shenanigans" you don't get to say when we're moving on. I'll move on when I'm done talking, thank you kindly.
    Well continue talking about it then.

It's the alarmist behavior that is silly to me, as if we're not reading ongoing serialized comics. We've seen Betsy written by several writers and we'll continue to see her written by several writers to come. People act like the sky is falling whenever they're in a season they may not like, as if something new isn't always on the horizon. It's never the end, the sun rises again. But when one takes jabs of course others who disagree are going to push back and shouldn't be dismissed. In any case, I have great confidence in Sir Geoff based on the things he has said about our gal.

I've enjoyed the subtle use of her powers the Steves have used in Unlimited so far.

Sometimes the smaller, more nuanced usages can be fun. Using Dani's connection to the bird to map out the barrier for everyone was dope.

I'm very happy as well with her being part of an X-team again. It's absolutely possible to have the best of both worlds when it comes to her being an X-character and CB.
    And Betsy being back on X-Force in her own body is kinda poetic. It did feel like her time with that brand had passed but I'm excited to see her operate on it again. She feels like she's become a pillar of that group and I wonder if it's a route they'll take her for the MCU. I think it'd be dope since the X-man telepath spot usually goes to Jean or Emma.

All the Dani/Betsy content happening in Unlimited is sooo made for me. It deserved to get printed!

And Betsy being back on X-Force in her own body is kinda poetic. It did feel like her time with that brand had passed but I'm excited to see her operate on it again. She feels like she's become a pillar of that group and I wonder if it's a route they'll take her for the MCU. I think it'd be dope since the X-man telepath spot usually goes to Jean or Emma.

All the Dani/Betsy content happening in Unlimited is sooo made for me. It deserved to get printed!
    When they first announced the new lineup of books I'll be honest, I didn't think she'd be on X-Force again. So I'll never forget when the announcement was made and there she was on the cover in her new sleek costume in her own body. It's pretty amazing.