Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Biclopcicle View Post
    I
    I don't always like Jason Aaron, but Odin being around well before humanity at least made sense to me.
    There is the possibility of retroactive creation. The humans imagined Odin existing before them, and so Odin always existed before them.
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

I couldn’t think of anywhere else to post this, but man it made me laugh…:

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by mugiwara View Post
    There is the possibility of retroactive creation. The humans imagined Odin existing before them, and so Odin always existed before them.
    Humans creating Gods works better in novels and prose, IMO, than in big superhero stuff IMO.

Because physical Gods are not the weirdest thing in a comic-verse, not by a long shot.

Astonishing Member

I don't always like Jason Aaron, but Odin being around well before humanity at least made sense to me.
    It really doesn't if he bothered reading previous stories that established how Asgard was in a constant cycle of death and rebirth via Ragnarok where they were destroyed and reborn with new iterations of the same gods.

Really, no one finds that funny?

Bah!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Humans creating Gods works better in novels and prose, IMO, than in big superhero stuff IMO.
    That idea of Gods being created from the dreams of men was used in Sandman by Gaiman and that wasn't too much a problem. I think it's useful in a shared universe (like comics) to explain why there's multiple versions and interpretations of the same gods running around or why the Judeo-Christian God is #. For example post-Infinite Crisis Trials of Shazam had the Captain Marvel gods separate from the figures in Wonder Woman. Or how Spectre (on paper) or TOBA/TOAA are so much more powerful.
    Last edited by Bruce Wayne; 02-07-2024 at 06:58 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    That idea of Gods being created from the dreams of men was used in Sandman by Gaiman and that wasn't too much a problem. I think it's useful in a shared universe (like comics) to explain why there's multiple versions and interpretations of the same gods running around or why the Judeo-Christian God is #. For example post-Infinite Crisis Trials of Shazam had the Captain Marvel gods separate from the figures in Wonder Woman. Or how Spectre (on paper) or TOBA/TOAA are so much more powerful.
    Sandman is a lot more nuanced and introspective than most other comics

Marvel isn't like DC, where there multiple versions of the same Gods running around, like Mars and Ares.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post

Ha that is funny. Thats a good pun.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post

I'm not sure how to react to this...

Does Thor have access to time travel again, since inheriting Odin's powers?

https://www.cbr.com/thor-time-travel...ark-gruenwald/

I hope that Thor can go back in time to make Donald Blake good/whole/safe again.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    Does Thor have access to time travel again, since inheriting Odin's powers?

https://www.cbr.com/thor-time-travel...ark-gruenwald/

I hope that Thor can go back in time to make Donald Blake good/whole/safe again.
    I feel like they mentioned something like that around Empyre.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    It really doesn't if he bothered reading previous stories that established how Asgard was in a constant cycle of death and rebirth via Ragnarok where they were destroyed and reborn with new iterations of the same gods.
    The Ragnarok cycle can exist outside of humanity. Again, Kirby carried on with the Ragnarok concept with his 4th world and that there were Godwaves that gave birth to the new cycle of gods. Sure there were some other stories where Thor was sigfried or whatever ����*♂️ not really in sync with the original canon established by Kirby

Mighty Member McFarlane's Green Hulk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Yeah! Speaking of retro-style, I definitely know that Ron Frenz could pull-it-off (XD)

Did Frenz do that panel? Always wondered.
    I know he did the opening and closing pages to #394, but the rest was Bob Hall.

Astonishing Member

The Ragnarok cycle can exist outside of humanity. Again, Kirby carried on with the Ragnarok concept with his 4th world and that there were Godwaves that gave birth to the new cycle of gods. Sure there were some other stories where Thor was sigfried or whatever ����*♂️ not really in sync with the original canon established by Kirby
    Kirby's ideas for the 4th World was never implemented at Marvel so they are not really relevant to this discussion and frankly given how Byrne and later writers for the 4th World established that Asgaard happened in the previous universe pre-Big Bang at DC, it really doesn't work anymore with the Marvel Thor. However Roy Thomas and Oeming's ideas were implemeneted and also referenced in Thor v3 (not to mention the mini by Matt Fraction) and Aaron ignored them completely, which imo is much more egregious.

Astonishing Member Ken Ashcroft's Avatar

Never thought I would say it but I wish Thor hadn’t gone back to his old original costume.I had gotten used to the new look he had in recent years.