Page 65 of 72 FirstFirst ... 1555616263646566676869 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Dron View Post
    I saw the cover, but is she actually moving from Jersey or is she just on that team?
    The synopsis says exactly where she's moving to. I assume this means they're finally having her graduate high school (which should've happened before Iman Vellani's minis, if you do the maths counting all the holidays and timeskips since her debut, her still being in school past that point requires her to be a year younger than originally stated when she debuted). Will she move to New York for college (Empire State University?) and that's why she's in Manhattan? If so, it's not just Miles she might run in to - Gwen's a student there as well, and isn't commuting back to Earth-65 any more.

Miles ought to be out of high school now as well - he and Kamala are both at least 18 if they were 16 when Secret Wars happened.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 04-13-2024 at 06:03 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by XenobladerX View Post
    Miles Morales: Spider-Man #19 preview
    https://monkeysfightingrobots.co/mar...spider-man-19/

Miles: "Nani?!"

Spectacular Spider-Men #2 preview
    https://monkeysfightingrobots.co/mar...-spider-men-2/
    The summary for Miles issue 20 that is on Final Order Cut Off sort of gives away a plot issue in number 19.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    The synopsis says exactly where she's moving to. I assume this means they're finally having her graduate high school (which should've happened before Iman Vellani's minis, if you do the maths counting all the holidays and timeskips since her debut, her still being in school past that point requires her to be a year younger than originally stated when she debuted). Will she move to New York for college (Empire State University?) and that's why she's in Manhattan? If so, it's not just Miles she might run in to - Gwen's a student there as well, and isn't commuting back to Earth-65 any more.

Miles ought to be out of high school now as well - he and Kamala are both at least 18 if they were 16 when Secret Wars happened.
    I figured a graduation for Kamala was an attempt to get her more in line with her MCU counterpart. I also thought Miles was older than Kamala. It looked like he was supposed to graduate at the end of Saladin's run but then it seems like there was some kind of pivot.

Kamala's MCU version is still at high school, pretty much no time passed for her between her series and The Marvels. It is likely she'll have aged up by the time she next appears though, considering the real life passage of time. MCU Kamala will overtake the age of comics Kamala and will always be older than the comics version due to the MCU timeline progressing in real time instead of a sliding timescale. There's no reason to do synergy on that.

As I understand it, Miles was 16 when he arrived on 616, and Kamala was 16 when she debuted. There was an eight month timeskip as a result of Secret Wars (enough to cause Squirrel Girl's recap page to start referring to her as a second year university student instead of a first year) - this would make Kamala the older one since she'd already be 17 or close to that birthday, but the way they've been portrayed I always assumed they were the same age. Another new school year was mentioned to be starting in Champions (the issue with the shooting at Miles's school, which served to remove Goldballs from his supporting cast between Bendis and Ahmed's runs on his solo). Ms. Marvel The New Mutant was also meant to be during a summer break. Thus by that point, both Kamala and Miles should've already graduated - so I think you're right that Ahmed intended that to happen at the end of his run on Miles. And Kamala shouldn't have been shown still in school in Mutant Menace. I think both characters probably need to be de-aged a year, in that they'd have only been 15 when Secret Wars happened rather than 16, otherwise the maths just doesn't quite add up.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 04-13-2024 at 11:42 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

It'd be nice if part of the "bold new direction" for Miles after Blood Hunt included him graduating

Spectacular Member Trapgodthanos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by XenobladerX View Post
    It'd be nice if part of the "bold new direction" for Miles after Blood Hunt included him graduating
    I feel like marvel isn't going to let miles graduate high-school anytime soon (although him and Kamala have been teased of going to college recently). Maybe he becomes a vampire for an arc after bloodhunt? Or maybe the bold new direction is actually him going to class lol, I love this run but I wish we had more of miles' out of costume life. When haven't seen or heard of Ganke since the first arc, hopefully after blood hunt we get more out of costume moments.

Quote Originally Posted by Trapgodthanos View Post
    I feel like marvel isn't going to let miles graduate high-school anytime soon (although him and Kamala have been teased of going to college recently). Maybe he becomes a vampire for an arc after bloodhunt? Or maybe the bold new direction is actually him going to class lol, I love this run but I wish we had more of miles' out of costume life. When haven't seen or heard of Ganke since the first arc, hopefully after blood hunt we get more out of costume moments.
    I feel like every run his civilian life ends up being the most underdeveloped thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I feel like every run his civilian life ends up being the most underdeveloped thing.
    To be fair, Saladin Ahmed did a lot of the heavy lifting with developing that aspect of Miles’ life at the start of his run. Thanks to him we got Billie, and to see how great of a big brother Miles is. He also fixed things between Miles and his Uncle Aaron which I was immensely grateful for. And we even got some fun hangout issues with him and his supporting cast (That Ferris Bueller’s Day Off inspired issue is one of my favorites.), including one that was just him and Kamala hanging out.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimm911 View Post
    To be fair, Saladin Ahmed did a lot of the heavy lifting with developing that aspect of Miles’ life at the start of his run. Thanks to him we got Billie, and to see how great of a big brother Miles is. He also fixed things between Miles and his Uncle Aaron which I was immensely grateful for. And we even got some fun hangout issues with him and his supporting cast (That Ferris Bueller’s Day Off inspired issue is one of my favorites.), including one that was just him and Kamala hanging out.
    I agree, it just got kind of side-tracked by the second half cloning plot.

I'm still undecided on how I feel about Aaron being supportive and cool with Miles. Like I appreciate Miles having a positive relationship with Aaron but I also found him as an antagonist so impactful and hit Miles in a way we don't really get with other villains and sometimes he just feels like he's just there as another hero type instead of something more complex.

All-New Member

To be honest, that's always been something Miles Morales stories have neglected compared to Peter and even other characters like Silk imo.

For instance Miles' most prominent love interests have all been super powered, so Miles avoid the whole issues regarding balancing love life with superheroing.

He also fixed things between Miles and his Uncle Aaron which I was immensely grateful for.
    The way he fixed it might as well have been a retcon. Going from the climatic fight where Miles was hospitalized, to Miles showing up to Aaron's apartment like it never happened.

I'd argue Aaron got brought back too soon and accepted too easily. He gave that whole talk about improving himself while Miles was in a coma at the end of Bendis' run and then Miles just shows up at his apartment like he didn't disappear.

Niffleheim

after aaron sacrificed himself to save miles i think whatever happened under bendis' pen can be easily swept under the rag. (as far as I can remember lol)
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Sometimes you'd be forgiven for forgetting Aaron started out trying to use Miles and turning on him when Miles wouldn't go along with his plans.

The only way I see that really changing is if decompression goes away and we start getting complete adventures in every comic, or he gets a 2nd book.

Quote Originally Posted by Dron View Post
    The only way I see that really changing is if decompression goes away and we start getting complete adventures in every comic, or he gets a 2nd book.
    Wouldn't the new Spectacular Spider-Men series technically count as a second book for him even if he's sharing it with Peter?

Or do you mean like a second solo book? I feel like those never last too long for characters.