Page 67 of 72 FirstFirst ... 1757636465666768697071 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,005 of 1078
    Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

For what it's worth, I do appreciate that Ziglar addressed (and redressed) the criticism by some that Miles Morales was barely distinct or different from teenage Peter Parker aside from his racial/ethnic background, even if that criticism did read to me as an excuse to devalue Miles's character overall. That said, Miles under Ziglar's pen (and even Ahmed's, earlier) developing his own distinct voice, supporting cast, and rogues' gallery is a very good thing, and I also appreciate, given the critiques aimed at Peter Parker/Spider-Man's rogues' gallery for the lack of notable female villains/antagonists, that he's firming up the rogues' gallery in that area. On the subject of his rogues, I think Agent Gao and Rabble would be his most dangerous so far, as Rabble is just insanely fixated on blaming him for how her life turned out (rather reminiscent of early Eddie Brock/Venom for Peter) and Gao is a so-called "law and order" type who hates superpowered vigilantes, only to have no problem breaking the law herself if it means achieving what she sees as just ends, which makes her especially driven and especially dangerous in my view.

As for the mentorship, I don't entirely hate it, but if Miles is going to be taking guidance from more experienced superheroes that can help him learn things that Peter might not be able to teach him, I'd love to see the Night Thrasher (on the street-level side of things) show up and show him some things once the situation in his current miniseries wraps up. Sticking closer to the Spider-Mythos, I could see Hobie Brown, the original Prowler, being a presence in Miles's superhero life, and perhaps even Cardiac, given both of them being on the wrong end of morally bankrupt corporations, Cardiac through his general crusade against the corrupt corporate practices and policies that killed his brother and Miles after Beyond Corporation tried to take the mantle of Spider-Man away from him and turned out to have the Assessor who tortured and cloned him as one of its assets.

Speaking of Beyond, I was rather disappointed that Miles and Ben Reilly didn't interact more, in light of the idea of them bonding over their struggles to define themselves as Spider-Men in their own rights, beyond the shadow of Peter Parker, so I'm somewhat happy Ziglar had plans to develop their relationship more during Spider-Man Beyond, even with those plans being ultimately kiboshed by Wells's endgame.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonick View Post
    For anyone that can't watch the interview, someone on the subreddit posted some of the key points from the interview

No real complaints besides the mentorship thing again.

It's also unexpected that Ben was apparently supposed to be the Spider-Man of Manhattan and he and Miles were supposed to interact closely.

I also appreciate that the three Miles versions will remain distinct from each other.
    I wonder if we'll have Black Panther and Blue Marvel show up at this rate. Or Bishop?

I guess Starling is here to stay for the duration of the run.

So the original plan wasn't to screw Ben over?

Confirming Rabble was based on Insomniac Tinkerer. Points for new female villains though. But I don't think Miles really needs villain in his age group.

Personally I think Bendis wrote Ultimate Miles and Ultimate Peter different from each other.
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    For what it's worth, I do appreciate that Ziglar addressed (and redressed) the criticism by some that Miles Morales was barely distinct or different from teenage Peter Parker aside from his racial/ethnic background, even if that criticism did read to me as an excuse to devalue Miles's character overall. That said, Miles under Ziglar's pen (and even Ahmed's, earlier) developing his own distinct voice, supporting cast, and rogues' gallery is a very good thing, and I also appreciate, given the critiques aimed at Peter Parker/Spider-Man's rogues' gallery for the lack of notable female villains/antagonists, that he's firming up the rogues' gallery in that area. On the subject of his rogues, I think Agent Gao and Rabble would be his most dangerous so far, as Rabble is just insanely fixated on blaming him for how her life turned out (rather reminiscent of early Eddie Brock/Venom for Peter) and Gao is a so-called "law and order" type who hates superpowered vigilantes, only to have no problem breaking the law herself if it means achieving what she sees as just ends, which makes her especially driven and especially dangerous in my view.

As for the mentorship, I don't entirely hate it, but if Miles is going to be taking guidance from more experienced superheroes that can help him learn things that Peter might not be able to teach him, I'd love to see the Night Thrasher (on the street-level side of things) show up and show him some things once the situation in his current miniseries wraps up. Sticking closer to the Spider-Mythos, I could see Hobie Brown, the original Prowler, being a presence in Miles's superhero life, and perhaps even Cardiac, given both of them being on the wrong end of morally bankrupt corporations, Cardiac through his general crusade against the corrupt corporate practices and policies that killed his brother and Miles after Beyond Corporation tried to take the mantle of Spider-Man away from him and turned out to have the Assessor who tortured and cloned him as one of its assets.

Speaking of Beyond, I was rather disappointed that Miles and Ben Reilly didn't interact more, in light of the idea of them bonding over their struggles to define themselves as Spider-Men in their own rights, beyond the shadow of Peter Parker, so I'm somewhat happy Ziglar had plans to develop their relationship more during Spider-Man Beyond, even with those plans being ultimately kiboshed by Wells's endgame.
    There's the Sinister Syndicate.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

I think people are overblowing the mentor stuff. This is a common trend for all teenager heroes. And so far, we've had Misty being a reoccurring presence who's been coaching Miles in investigative work and Blade & Bloodline.

Also I went through and listened to the interview and I don't recall any of that Ben Reilly stuff being mentioned. Going to need a concrete timestap.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    I think people are overblowing the mentor stuff. This is a common trend for all teenager heroes. And so far, we've had Misty being a reoccurring presence who's been coaching Miles in investigative work and Blade & Bloodline.

Also I went through and listened to the interview and I don't recall any of that Ben Reilly stuff being mentioned. Going to need a concrete timestap.
    Not really for Peter.

All-New Member

Imma do my own thing (1).jpg Saw this on Miles sub, Really cool to see how fast Miles is growing his cast, Heres to more in the future

Quote Originally Posted by KrookcodileX View Post
    Imma do my own thing (1).jpg Saw this on Miles sub, Really cool to see how fast Miles is growing his cast, Heres to more in the future
    Just pointing out Tomoe only appeared the one time and she's technically more of a Riri villain .

Now if they could just start using them in media appearances...

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Just pointing out Tomoe only appeared the one time and she's technically more of a Riri villain .

Now if they could just start using them in media appearances...
    The folks on the subreddit say a animated tv show for Miles is the way to go to showcase all of his cast and villains

Not really for Peter.
    Peter was only a high schooler, for what, the first 20 issues or so? A lot of his interactions in the Ditko era had him repeatedly getting blown off by the other heroes to lean into him being an outsider.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

I wonder if we'll have Black Panther and Blue Marvel show up at this rate. Or Bishop?

I guess Starling is here to stay for the duration of the run.

So the original plan wasn't to screw Ben over?

Confirming Rabble was based on Insomniac Tinkerer. Points for new female villains though. But I don't think Miles really needs villain in his age group.

Personally I think Bendis wrote Ultimate Miles and Ultimate Peter different from each other.
    There's the Sinister Syndicate.
    Sinister Syndicate was fairly recent, though.

Peter was only a high schooler, for what, the first 20 issues or so? A lot of his interactions in the Ditko era had him repeatedly getting blown off by the other heroes to lean into him being an outsider.
    And/or him acting more hostilely toward them to chase them off.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by KrookcodileX View Post
    The folks on the subreddit say a animated tv show for Miles is the way to go to showcase all of his cast and villains
    True. I feel like Insomniac will just keep using Peter villains and Spider-Verse is more focused on Multiversal implications.
    Yeah, I guess it's a testament to their differing personalities/experience levels. I'm not sure if it's even still canon he started out as young as he did in Ultimate (where he was younger than Peter when he got his powers).
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Sinister Syndicate was fairly recent, though.
    True, but it was also just collecting characters who had already existed by that point even if 98% of them are just gender-flips of male villains so points to Ziglar for originality.

Astonishing Member

Interesting Ziglar interview, lots of info

https://www.reddit.com/r/MilesMorale...way_from_cody/

spoilers:
    good issue of Miles great fight between him and Ramble the latest anime move Cody made Miles do is from JJK
    end of spoilers

also best to read miles first before Spectacular Spider-Men
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    spoilers:
    good issue of Miles great fight between him and Ramble the latest anime move Cody made Miles do is from JJK
    end of spoilers

also best to read miles first before Spectacular Spider-Men

Yeah I made the mistake of reading Spectacular first lol

All-New Member

I think its kind of short sighted? I don't see Marvel comics allowing Miles to age past high school, so one of two things are going to happen. (maybe both)

1) Anything Miles learns isn't going to last and he'll reset back to being inexperienced, which some have argued already happened to justify the Misty Knight coaching.
    2) He's not actually going to pick up anything and the mentorship is just an excuse to have cameos, and their novelty will lessen with their continual use.

Spectacular Member FlyingShadow's Avatar

Miles took one hell of a beating this issue.

It was brutal.

I also loved how the battle between Miles and Raheem went from colorful to black and white showing Cody’s love for manga.