Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by NOCTPHOENIX View Post
    How reflective is CBR of fans in general though?
    CBR isn't remotely reflective of fans in general. WTh! are you kidding me?
    Last edited by Fergus; 04-08-2024 at 02:25 AM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    CBR isn't remotely reflective of fans in general. WTh! are you kidding me?
    Probably more so than other places like tumblr or twitter

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Probably more so than other places like tumblr or twitter
    Yeah I think this site has more people that actually read comics.

Reminds me of this funny post

got a message out of the blue about that ‘why Batman doesn’t kill’ explanation I left on someone else’s post like two years ago but it was just “wait is Alfred dead????” and I sort of forgot that most of tumblr Batfam fandom doesn’t actually read comics and so largely has no idea that Bane killed Alfred back in 2019 and he’s stayed dead since
    From what I learned the tumblr and twitter fans largely never ready any books. All their knowledge comes from second hand sources and pre-conceived expectations/wants of how the characters should be like all that Batman fan-art of the Robins being pretty boys and hanging out.

Which I'm half convinced is where most if not all of Jay's fans comes from, who get all their information from some cute posts/art people make on twitter/tumblr versus the people who actually read the books and are putt off by how saccharine and poorly developed the romance is.
    Last edited by Mantis-Ray; 04-08-2024 at 06:02 PM.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

DC only has themselves to blame with the predicament Jon is in. They thought "slap him with the Superman name and we good!"

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    Yeah I think this site has more people that actually read comics.

Reminds me of this funny post

From what I learned the tumblr and twitter fans largely never ready any books. All their knowledge comes from second hand sources and pre-conceived expectations/wants of how the characters should be like all that Batman fan-art of the Robins being pretty boys and hanging out.

Which I'm half convinced is where most if not all of Jay's fans comes from, who get all their information from some cute posts/art people make on twitter/tumblr versus the people who actually read the books and are putt off by how saccharine and poorly developed the romance is.
    Accurate post and that is true about tumblr/twitter "fans". The failure of Tim's solo despite twitter/tumblr's "love" of Bernard shows it

As an FYI that tumblr blog you linked to is part of the problem and a massive fool who thinks they are real life 'smart' cuz of their take on comics.

At least with Jay they are making some effort to give him interactions with people outside of Jon and seem to be listening

While CBR way too small to offer any sort of reliable consenus I'd say this thread is definately a microcosm of ever-present discontent I see around Jon Kent, either fans who never accepted his older self or those constanly underwhelmed and frustrated with DC direction with the him and that's not even touching all the homophibia and bigotry, at times it seems the only people still fully enjoying the character are the Damijon shippers.

Considering DC already struggles to get audiences onboard with OG Superman it was probably naive on their part to think rushing his son into the title would have much broad appeal, especially if they were gonna have him largerly act and look almost identical to Clark, Miles definately wouldn't of took of the way he did had he stayed almost indistinguishable from Peter while in costume and hadn't gotten his now iconic black/red colour scheme.

It also sort of soft-locked Jon out of adaptions which comic characters really need to become pop culture staples, as unless the work starts with Clark and Lois already married and Jon already a teenage/young adult it's unlikely things will last long enough to get to a point where he'll even become Superman, there's also just an inherent reduancy to having two Superman who look so similiar which is why you always see kid Jon being used in games and such because it allows him to still have a niche.
    Last edited by walk; 04-08-2024 at 08:41 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by walk View Post
    While CBR way too small to offer any sort of reliable consenus I'd say this thread is definately a microcosm of ever-present discontent I see around Jon Kent, either fans who never accepted his older self or those constanly underwhelmed and frustrated with DC direction with the him and that's not even touching all the homophibia and bigotry, at times it seems the only people still fully enjoying the character are the Damijon shippers.

Considering DC already struggles to get audiences onboard with OG Superman it was probably naive on their part to think rushing his son into the title would have much broad appeal, especially if they were gonna have him largerly act and look almost identical to Clark, Miles definately wouldn't of took of the way he did had he stayed almost indistinguishable from Peter while in costume and hadn't gotten his now iconic black/red colour scheme.

It also sort of soft-locked Jon out of adaptions which comic characters really need to become pop culture staples, as unless the work starts with Clark and Lois already married and Jon already a teenage/young adult it's unlikely things will last long enough to get to a point where he'll even become Superman, there's also just an inherent reduancy to having two Superman who look so similiar which is why you always see kid Jon being used in games and such because it allows him to still have a niche.
    What about Superman and Lois on CW?

Mighty Member

CBR is small but it seems more reflective of larger fan sentiments and more reliable than say what you'll find on twitter/tumblr for sure.

Tumblr hasn't been relevant in half a decade and nobody has taken X seriously in at least a year. No legitimate business is basing current decisions around them.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    What about Superman and Lois on CW?
    The In name only version that has no powers is a dudebro jock and who they wouldn't even let be bisexual despite having other queer characters on the show.

It's about as faithful an adaption of Jon as Birds of Prey was to Cassandrsa Cain.

CBR is small but it seems more reflective of larger fan sentiments and more reliable than say what you'll find on twitter/tumblr for sure.
    That's just confirmation bias and while you should always take everything said on the internet with a pinch of salt it does no one well to fall into echo chambers.

I mean you've cleary got some major hangups about Bernard the way you keep bringing him up without provocation and convinced yourself he's just a flash in the pan compared to Jay but lets look at the scoreboard between the two.

Bernard romance with Tim has already been featured in tv show, a major videogame and an elseworld comic in rapid succession and I'd be willing to bet money if Tim does show up in the Gunnverse it'll be there to, Jon and Jay meanwhile... nada. You might not like it or want to accept it but DC clearly commited to making Tim queerness part of his brand as Robin going forward, probably morseo than Jon as a bi Superman as it's a lot less riskier to adapt and logistically much more simple, Tim and Bernard can potentially show up anytime in a Batman adaption while Jon needs those aforementioned 17 years of Clark and Lois marriage.
    Last edited by walk; 04-09-2024 at 05:44 AM.

Mighty Member

Jon and Jay are the ones at forefront of DC Pride this year so are they committed to still pushing the bi Superman for sure Especially how well DC Pride sells.

As for bi Jon in Superm and Lois season 4 we are still waiting for it and.they might do it there
    Last edited by NOCTPHOENIX; 04-09-2024 at 05:44 AM.

Mighty Member

And speaking of the Miles comparisons, Miles for years was seen as boring but found his footing so it's not too late for Jon. Like with Jon it is easy to set him apart as if they lean more into rehabilitating the electric powers he has and emphasizing it and also actually doing more with his stories from a queer/radical/progressive angle perspective from someone who isn't white liberal progressive (Taylor is kind of that). Like have Jon and Jay do meaningful social justice topics such as with Jay being a reporter and emphasizing the importance of free speech given his country and using it to explore said companies or villains exploiting marginalized groups. Like have Jon be punching Neo Nazis

Extraordinary Member

Jay’s mom was just kidnapped. Waller is very wary of him. Wouldn’t be suprised if he appears in the suicide squad before the mini wraps. I wonder if that means he will have a role in absolute power.