Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    High Profile to you that is also your personal opinion. Being 1 of many in an event is not high profile
    So by that logic no character appearing in an event is "high profile" because every event includes many characters.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    So by that logic no character appearing in an event is "high profile" because every event includes many characters.
    Not exactly, there are core characters and choir characters on the events, depending of where is the focus of the story and what was the direction the writer wants to go.
    On Lazarus Planet the core characters were Batman, Damian Wayne and the magic users, focus on Black Alice.
    On Beast World the core characters were the Titans and Amanda Waller crew.
    On Terror Knights the Trinity was core, with focus on Deadman and Sandman.
    Only in Dark Crisis, there Jon and Nightwing were the core characters, but Nightwing more, as he was faced to Deathstroke.

In all of the other events Jon have had secondary stories, but pretty short and the best received was the one which offered an alternative love interest than a lot of people liked more than the present one. Only in Dark Crisis he was a core character but in the rest he has been a choir boy.
    Last edited by Thor-Ul; 03-15-2024 at 10:20 AM.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    Not exactly, there are core characters and choir characters on the events, depending of where is the focus of the story and what was the direction the writer wants to go.
    On Lazarus Planet the core characters were Batman, Damian Wayne and the magic users, focus on Black Alice.
    Only in Dark Crisis, there Jon and Nightwing were the core characters, but Nightwing more, as he was faced to Deathstroke.

In all of the other events Jon have had secondary stories, but pretty short and the best received was the one which offered an alternative love interest than a lot of people liked more than the present one. Only in Dark Crisis he was a core character but in the rest he has been a choir boy.
    He was part of he entire crux of how they resolved the plot. Him and his father were used to detach the spores from everyone as they are naturally attracted to those more powerful. He was in the event just as much as most of the titans were. It's not like he was just standing around in the background in it. He played a crucial part of the story and was very much involved in the bulk of it.

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

He was part of he entire crux of how they resolved the plot. Him and his father were used to detach the spores from everyone as they are naturally attracted to those more powerful. He was in the event just as much as most of the titans were. It's not like he was just standing around in the background in it. He played a crucial part of the story and was very much involved in the bulk of it.
    A crucial part of the story than didn't involved him at an emotional level. He was just borrowed muscle for the final mission or the mcguffin ex machina. The real crux was how to freed Batman from the possesion of the devil Nezha and how to resolve the conflict with King Fire Bull. The emotional conflict was a fight of fathers vs sons. Devil Neza vs King Fire Bull and Batman vs Robin. Was Jon in a similar situation of fighting his father? No, he had just fighting around as a lot of other heroes. Choir boy. Monkey Prince was more meanngiful for the Lazarus Planet event than Jon. Only thing got apart of the new powers (like a lot of other characters, so that isn't special either) was a potential new romantic interest.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Ash was such a breath of fresh air & way more interesting than Jay it makes no sense why he has yet to appear again, only reason I believe is because Tom Taylor has his claws in Jon & no other writer has had a chance to detatch him from Taylor’s bland OC, & no one is going to end a relationship in Pride month (the only time they appear) or during a special issue made for the character (the 1 time Jon got some shine this year) the moment Jon gets another writer who’s not Taylor Jay is gone.

A crucial part of the story than didn't involved him at an emotional level. He was just borrowed muscle for the final mission or the mcguffin ex machina. The real crux was how to freed Batman from the possesion of the devil Nezha and how to resolve the conflict with King Fire Bull. The emotional conflict was a fight of fathers vs sons. Devil Neza vs King Fire Bull and Batman vs Robin. Was Jon in a similar situation of fighting his father? No, he had just fighting around as a lot of other heroes. Choir boy. Monkey Prince was more meanngiful for the Lazarus Planet event than Jon. Only thing got apart of the new powers (like a lot of other characters, so that isn't special either) was a potential new romantic interest.
    I wasn't talking about Lazarus. I was talking about Beast World. I didn't read Lazarus (aside from one or two of the one-shots) so I can't speak on it, but with Beast World he was very involved in it.

Incredible Member

I wasn't talking about Lazarus. I was talking about Beast World. I didn't read Lazarus (aside from one or two of the one-shots) so I can't speak on it, but with Beast World he was very involved in it.
    Then next time be more specific about the source or what story are you refering.

Second, did you read the same event as me? Jon only appeared in three issues of a six issues story. In the first two he had the standard hero saving people fighting villians appearances and in the last issue he had no biggere relevance to the story than others characters. The stars there were the Titans, Nightwing up and front with Raven, Beast Boy and Amanda Waller very close. Saying Jon was pivotal for Beast World is like saying Carol Danvers was the main character of Endgame because she appeared to fight Thanos for, like, six seconds.

Oh, and don't say the important part happens in the Superman tie-in issues. All the other tie-in also had their own "important development for the plot", but the core of the story always was with the main book and with the Titans.

The only event where Jon was pivotal and main character was Dark Crisis. But nothing since then.
    Last edited by Thor-Ul; 03-17-2024 at 02:07 PM.

https://www.amazon.com/Who-Superboy-.../dp/0762486031

Superboy has a parent-sized problem in this officially licensed DC picture book celebrating individuality while being the child of Superman and Lois Lane.

A school project has Jon Kent, the son of Superman—the World’s Greatest Super Hero—and Lois Lane—the world’s most famous reporter—trying to figure out who he wants to be when he grows up. How will he ever live up to his parents’ success? And will they be disappointed with him if he doesn’t?

As Jon and his loyal canine companion, Krypto, travel everywhere from Metropolis to The Fortress of Solitude to outer space, they explore the qualities that make his parents so great and put them to the test when a situation arises that requires Jon to act alone.

In this official DC picture book, readers will follow Jon’s adventure of self-discovery as he comes to understand that—just as there’s only one Superman and one Lois Lane— there’s only one Superboy . . . and he’s up to the challenge.
    Well ain't this a fine and dandy surprise. A children's book featuring Jon Kent.
    Last edited by garazza; 03-17-2024 at 08:29 PM.

Then next time be more specific about the source or what story are you refering.
    My first comment was about Beast World. I mentioned the event by name. You introduced Lazarus Planet into the conversation, not me.

Second, did you read the same event as me? Jon only appeared in three issues of a six issues story.
    That's half of the series. Not to mention he was in at least two of the tie-ins.

In the first two he had the standard hero saving people fighting villians appearances and in the last issue he had no biggere relevance to the story than others characters.
    The entire discovery that the spores were attracted to more powerful heroes and would detach themselves from lesser powerful people if a more powerful one was near was discovered when they saw how they reacted to Jon. He was the plot device to discovering how to free civilians before Waller could murder them.

The stars there were the Titans, Nightwing up and front with Raven, Beast Boy and Amanda Waller very close. Saying Jon was pivotal for Beast World is like saying Carol Danvers was the main character of Endgame because she appeared to fight Thanos for, like, six seconds.
    A character can be essential to the plot without being the main focus of it. This wasn't a "Jon" event. It was never marketed as a "Jon" event. But he was still a large part of it. My entire initial argument was that people saying he's only used during Pride month isn't true. He is used, even if he's not the main character. DC has hundreds of characters they barely (if ever) use. He's in much better shape that a large portion of DC characters.

No one said he wasn’t used, we’re saying he’s not RELEVANT unless it’s pride month or the story features his sexuality as a topic Jon has been reduced to Bi Super nothing else that’s a fact. Stop moving the goal post.

Jon has been reduced to Bi Super nothing else that’s a fact. Stop moving the goal post.
    No, that's opinion not fact. I can't move a goal post that isn't there.

Extraordinary Member

No one said he wasn’t used, we’re saying he’s not RELEVANT unless it’s pride month or the story features his sexuality as a topic Jon has been reduced to Bi Super nothing else that’s a fact. Stop moving the goal post.
    Where is the goal post what are the rules for being relevant ????

I’d say Jon appear just slightly less then Peacemaker

Are you only relevant if you have your own book? Go head make your very specific rules to count out Jon because I’m sure whatever they are would make 90% of DC characters not relevant

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    Where is the goal post what are the rules for being relevant ????

I’d say Jon appear just slightly less then Peacemaker

Are you only relevant if you have your own book? Go head make your very specific rules to count out Jon because I’m sure whatever they are would make 90% of DC characters not relevant
    I think Jon only appears in stuff specifically written by Taylor.

His last appearances was the Beast World tie-in of Nightwing and Beast World, both written by Taylor. So he's being largely reduced to a guest-star character only used by one writer which is different to Peacemaker who's been appearing everywhere from Green Arrow, Doom Patrol, Amazons Attack.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    I think Jon only appears in stuff specifically written by Taylor.

His last appearances was the Beast World tie-in of Nightwing and Beast World, both written by Taylor. So he's being largely reduced to a guest-star character only used by one writer which is different to Peacemaker who's been appearing everywhere from Green Arrow, Doom Patrol, Amazons Attack.
    Is that due to Taylor or is that due to EDITORIAL?

We can go down the line of characters a writer wanted to use and guess who told them NO. We do have characters held hostage by franchises (Hi X-MEN).

And if Taylor is doing a bunch of books... doesn't that benefit Jon?

Peacemaker can be in a ton of books but like with 90% of the Bat Family-what good is it if you are mainly background and cameos?

Jon was in 3 out of 6 issues of Beast World. That is more than what Duke Thomas or Taylor's Suicide Squad has done in 2 years.