Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    But it’s not occasion it’s consistent. The Wonder Woman branch finally making use of its family of characters is the new twist in DC. I’m glad for it, wish Donna could have appeared. Then Amazon attack was just another mini apart of the dawn of DC line and now it’s over just like Jon’s mini is.
    We don’t know what next for them because we don’t know where the DC shift is going until the absolute power event begins.

Also Fodder??? Be ffr please. fodder doesn’t get moments like this.
    Attachment 138832

Attachment 138833
    The writers and staff clearly love him. The boy is here to stay. Pink haired boyfriend and all.
    By Crossover Fodder I mean he only appears in events.

Gets to do cool stuff on occasion but he receives no substantial focus or individual stories with his appearances more like a bonus that can be easily cut out or switched with another character.

I was never arguing whether he's staying or not, my main point is that the overall usage of him is underwhelming and lacks any indication of a cool plan for him.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    By Crossover Fodder I mean he only appears in events.

Gets to do cool stuff on occasion but he receives no substantial focus or individual stories with his appearances more like a bonus that can be easily cut out or switched with another character.

I was never arguing whether he's staying or not, my main point is that the overall usage of him is underwhelming and lacks any indication of a cool plan for him.
    Still not getting what you mean when he was arguably the second lead of dark crisis, even his role in beast wars was Morse supporting then then a glorified cameo. The way things have been set up how could you just cut and replace Jon in those roles. He was Clark’s son he had to step up there, and the relationship he’s been building with Nightwing and the titans makes him their first contact in the super family. If Damian is in trouble is dick gonna work with powergirl? Everytime you saw him it was because the writer wanted him there doing that. I recall a big shot from the dark crisis event that there was rougher life for and it literally swapped Kara and Mary marvel in the same position. But then again their role in that book was a silent cameo just around for action shots. Jon Kent been taking action in stories not just appearing to do somthing cool in a splash page

Zatanna uses during the the Batman Vs Robin event that’s a glorified cameo. Appear in the beginning to set the tone but made incapable of contributing then appearing again in the last issue to explain magic to the audience again. The character you’ve been describing out of focus, not being used to their potential. She is a good example.

An unglorfied cameo is Harley who appear in every event but has nothing to contribute but her appearance.

Then there is the silent cameo appearing in in background shots
    Wasted, could be so much bigger than they are. That’s her , character would kill for the spotlight and focus Jon has been gettin.

As for a cool plan, again we’re gonna have to wait for absolute power and see where the DC story is heading. I’ve already poured out to you the bread crumbs that lead to a role for him.

This thread starting to give me flashbacks to all the discourse from back in the day around Hope Summers who for a few years in X-men comics was the most eventy nepobaby who ever evented before quietly slipping into the background.

It's a reminder that you should never put too much stock in these annual crossovers as their overall importance usually only lasts until the next BIG GAME CHANGING EVENT the following year.

Something far more valubale to characters in the long run is iconography

The fact is regardless of what's happening in this year comic event the average person would still know or at least recongise who Harley is while probably mistaking Jon for his dad.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by walk View Post
    This thread starting to give me flashbacks to all the discourse from back in the day around Hope Summers who for a few years in X-men comics was the most eventy nepobaby who ever evented before quietly slipping into the background.

It's a reminder that you should never put too much stock in these annual crossovers as their overall importance usually only lasts until the next BIG GAME CHANGING EVENT the following year.

Something far more valubale to characters in the long run is iconography

The fact is regardless of what's happening in this year comic event the average person would still know or at least recongise who Harley is while probably mistaking Jon for his dad.
    Okay ………
    After 3 live action films
    30 years of video games comics and animation I hope they would.

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    Okay ………
    After 3 live action films
    30 years of video games comics and animation I hope they would.
    Well which is it then?

Either Harley being "wasted" and "would kill for the spotlight and focus Jon has been gettin." all because she hasn't doesn't much in a recent event or events themselves ultimately don't matter much in the grand scheme of things to a characters overall popularity or relevance.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I can appreciate effort but seriously if a thread going past a dozen tweets just link to document where all that text can be formatted properly

In all these pitches for fixing Jon I see the same problem with the comics everything feels like a story I've already read a dozen times with Clark.

Just say no Metropolis, Luthors, evil Supermen, Toymen, reporter love intresests, bald evil guys...ect

Jon essentially a blank slate use it to create brand new concepts instead of all these tired throwbacks to his dad's old mythology simply because it's more well known.

Mighty Member

Jon and Jay cameo in Nightwing 113

Screen Shot 2024-04-16 at 10.11.39 PM.jpg

I can appreciate effort but seriously if a thread going past a dozen tweets just link to document where all that text can be formatted properly

In all these pitches for fixing Jon I see the same problem with the comics everything feels like a story I've already read a dozen times with Clark.

Just say no Metropolis, Luthors, evil Supermen, Toymen, reporter love intresests, bald evil guys...ect

Jon essentially a blank slate use it to create brand new concepts instead of all these tired throwbacks to his dad's old mythology simply because it's more well known.
    I'll keep that in mind for next time.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 04-17-2024 at 06:22 AM.

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

If Jay being a journalist made people accuse Jon of being a rip off Clark, this would make it even worse. He needs to develop a supporting cast with a completely dynamic, Dreamer was a good addition.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

The pitch is okay I do love the costume tho

Extraordinary Member

Well which is it then?

Either Harley being "wasted" and "would kill for the spotlight and focus Jon has been gettin." all because she hasn't doesn't much in a recent event or events themselves ultimately don't matter much in the grand scheme of things to a characters overall popularity or relevance.
    I called Harley use in event books unglorified cameos. That’s what they are. She appears in them to appear. . Harley also gets to keep her books despite them trailing at the bottom of sales chart, she is apart of the Batman mythos and and is a merchandise juggernaut. I still can’t recall another character besides Bruce Wayne who ever had 4 ongoing books going at the same time. A whole other monster. If the only character that can be used to prove that Jon isn’t living up to his potential is Batman franchise breakout star then I know for Danm sure he is ok.
    Last edited by Rac7d*; 04-17-2024 at 01:35 PM.

I disagree as he's in the same boat as Boruto as both characters are dependant on their families for stories.

Yara fits your description better as her connections to WW are less personal. Its easier to cut the cord because there wasnt much of one.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 04-22-2024 at 05:35 AM.

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

I disagree as he's in the same boat as Boruto as both characters are dependant on their families for stories.
    He can stay in metropolis but if they wanted him to have his own lane they should've leaned into either the space hero angle or him traveling the world. He's had opportunities for this (legion and son of kal-el) but they never went crazy with it.

Idealy he should have monsters of the week type villains or new mysteries each arc. Either go the dr who route or the tintin route (jay and dreamer would still fit into these)
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Yara fits your description easier.
    Eesh!!! that's not a good boat to be in
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"