Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by walk View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8nM...nnel=_THE_LOG_

Interesting vid that not only examines Conner's current standing but also the wider history and legal story around the title "Superboy" and those who've held it in the past and the possible inherent contradictions around it's continued existence.

Personally though I've never had an issue with Conner still going by Superboy, it's no different than Kara being Supergirl or Garth Beastboy, sure it's all a bit silly but that's comics and it's not like anyone really ages anyway, it's good he has a title the wider public know him as.

Not that I would be against them trying a new codename but I just don't get why some people get so stuck on it like a new title suddenly going to fix Conner's predicament when the issues clearly runs deeper than whether he's still being called Superboy or not.

Makes me think of the whole,should he age or should he not age,debate,and which would help Conner as a character.

Could always say he ages very slow,he got all his powers super slow,so it would be a good reasoning for thst also.cpukd give him the ability to be the age DC needs him to be,but appearance wise still young.idk just a idea.
    Created from 2 of the greatest men,made with 2 powersets thst are both SUPER,and has 2 cool asf looks and attitudes.

I also think Kara should be going by Superwoman for what that’s worth. However yes, a name change alone is not enough. I want a name change as part of a “Nightwing” type graduation to a new role for the character that moves him beyond chasing nostalgia. I still think that taking some of the original 5G ideas intended for Jon and using them for Conner is the route to go.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

While I think a arc of Conner subbing in as Superman temporally could be fun for a bit, though hopefully nothing like SOKE as I doubt even Conner could make any of that Bendix stuff or half hearted social commentary interesting, the whole 5G plan was always D.O.A, people were always going to demand Clark and the other OG heroes back in their roles.

I think Porter had the right idea of Conner carving out a space for himself off-world as a sort of Superman for hire to worlds in need.

Problem is it's doubtful anyone in the Superfam can retain the readership to become a "Nightwing" type, they've tried repeatedly with Jon to no avail, they should try though with Kara by riding the hype around her upcoming movie, heck if the films successful enough and has her take on the mantle "Superwoman" at the end they may even be able tp pull it off in the comics permanetly as well.
    Last edited by walk; 02-28-2024 at 04:56 AM.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

While I think a arc of Conner subbing in as Superman temporally could be fun for a bit, though hopefully nothing like SOKE as I doubt even Conner could make any of that Bendix stuff or half hearted social commentary interesting, the whole 5G plan was always D.O.A, people were always going to demand Clark and the other OG heroes back in their roles.

I think Porter had the right idea of Conner carving out a space for himself off-world as a sort of Superman for hire to worlds in need.

Problem is it's doubtful anyone in the Superfam can retain the readership to become a "Nightwing" type, they've tried repeatedly with Jon to no avail, they should try though with Kara by riding the hype around her upcoming movie, heck if the films successful enough and has her take on the mantle "Superwoman" at the end they may even be able tp pull it off in the comics permanetly as well.
    Honestly I feel like it can work with either Kara or Connor, both are popular characters. It would just need forward support by the company plus good stories that progress the characters.

Mighty Member

How about the name Supernova for Kon?

I would take the idea of him and Jenny Sparks teaming up and kicking ass, which was originally supposed to be Jon and Jenny. Conner is already a very Wildstorm esque character. He’s a creation of the 90s, an artificial WMD created via genetic engineering and splicing, he’s got anger issues, and he tends to butt heads with authority figures. Do a story about Kon traveling the world with Jenny and shutting down efforts by governments/corporations to create their own metahuman super soldiers, that would be a cool new direction for the character.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I also think Kara should be going by Superwoman for what that’s worth. However yes, a name change alone is not enough. I want a name change as part of a “Nightwing” type graduation to a new role for the character that moves him beyond chasing nostalgia. I still think that taking some of the original 5G ideas intended for Jon and using them for Conner is the route to go.
    Heh, it's an odd thing, but in the old days "girl" wasn't considered diminutive.

Like in the old Earth-91 continuity Kara Zor-El still used Supergirl.... even when Kara's niece Lisa is old enough to be active as Superlass... Kara still uses Supergirl.

I like how kon and Jon are polar opposites,attitude,look,amd how they would deal with the same situation,while Jon is more.pacifist,Conner would plow right thru,even if it got him in deep ****.
    Created from 2 of the greatest men,made with 2 powersets thst are both SUPER,and has 2 cool asf looks and attitudes.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I would take the idea of him and Jenny Sparks teaming up and kicking ass, which was originally supposed to be Jon and Jenny. Conner is already a very Wildstorm esque character. He’s a creation of the 90s, an artificial WMD created via genetic engineering and splicing, he’s got anger issues, and he tends to butt heads with authority figures. Do a story about Kon traveling the world with Jenny and shutting down efforts by governments/corporations to create their own metahuman super soldiers, that would be a cool new direction for the character.
    When I first saw the Future State cover featuring Superboy and Amanda Waller's Justice League. At first, I always thought that the JL members that were with him were all defective clones and/or spliced metahuman agents (Bolt from TTA) created by CADMUS. Maybe his M.O. as you said is to stop shady governments/corporations from creating their own engineered metahuman army experimenting with the DNA of all superheroes and if you want to go further you can borrow elements from YJ by auctioning those said metahumans. to criminal organizations such as the League of Assassins, Church of Blood, etc.

This week's Beano has a reference to Conner.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by SuperX View Post
    I like how kon and Jon are polar opposites,attitude,look,amd how they would deal with the same situation,while Jon is more.pacifist,Conner would plow right thru,even if it got him in deep ****.
    Kon wouldn't hug dictator Supes for sure........

Quote Originally Posted by SuperX View Post
    Jon being utterly boring is a shame but I suppose it does work out better for Conner if Jon is relegated to being a toothless weenie Hut Junior version of his dad. Means all the cool ideas are up for grabs and could be used for Conner.

Mighty Member

Do you think more writers are interested in Kon as opposed to Jon in like the opposite of what editorial wants to do?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by NOCTPHOENIX View Post
    Do you think more writers are interested in Kon as opposed to Jon in like the opposite of what editorial wants to do?
    Clearly not since he’s nowhere to be seen in large events
    Just Jon Kara and Page

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    Clearly not since he’s nowhere to be seen in large events
    Just Jon Kara and Page
    He’s in the Brainiac event whereas Jon is not. Williamson used him in Superman recently.