Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    So does Ms Martian not qualify for that?
    What do we even have of that on the comics side? A single back-up issue that's unlikely to be followed up on, can't really say whether it'd would've been a good or bad romance based off 10 pages and Visaggio implied it was meant to be more of a casual fling than anything.

If you mean the YJ show though definitely not, despite my misgiving with a lot it's writing and not personally liking the relationship all that much Ms Martian herself is very much a fully realised character, while her romance with Conner is a big part of her overall journey she definitely has arcs and storylines all of her own entirely divorced from him. If anything Conner feels secondary to her at times.

Honestly I'm not too fussed with who they pair Conner up with it in the future, he never really struck me as the settling down type anyway and has always been a flirt, don't worry about creating an OTP just give us fresh pairings that offer interesting and new dynamics to explore.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NOCTPHOENIX View Post
    I dunno stuff aside from Kon? Like develop the thing with Ares more? Her leadership skills more?
    Are we really going to act like all of her stories revovled around Kon? Her feud with Rose. Her friendship with Kara. Still being apart of WWs book. She's was always one of the better well rounded characters imo

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Are we really going to act like all of her stories revovled around Kon? Her feud with Rose. Her friendship with Kara. Still being apart of WWs book. She's was always one of the better well rounded characters imo

I'm not sure a panel where they bring up Conner's death is exactly helping to prove your point because that's something writer's kept going back to a lot with Cassie during this period. In fact her whole friendship with Kara began, ended and revolved around the fact Cassie was trying to fill the Kryptonian hole Conner had left in her heart.

Saying that I did enjoy her rivalry with Rose and how catty they got with each other though definitely feel Cassie got the short-end of the stick there as Rose was often framed as the cool rebel not afraid to drop the harsh truth while Cassie was often positioned as the the stuck-up priss who was overly self-righteous and unreasonable.

From what I gather from people who read it at the time Cassie was very unpopular with the fandom back then and I can't say I blame them as I read this run in a few sittings but can't imagine how it must of been to have to deal for 2 years with a Cassie who was constantly moody and aggro with her teammates because she couldn't get over her dead boyfriend.
    Last edited by walk; 01-31-2024 at 01:47 PM.

Mighty Member

Yeah like Cassie just came across as an ass in her rivalry with Rose and in trying to use Kara to fill the Kon void, it also made her an ass. I mean near the end of the run before Kon comes back and after, she does get better by realizing she wants to find herself without him but yeah way too many times it was just "Kon, Kon, Kon, Kon".

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by walk View Post
    I'm not sure a panel where they bring up Conner's death is exactly helping to prove your point because that's something writer's kept going back to a lot with Cassie during this period. In fact her whole friendship with Kara began, ended and revolved around the fact Cassie was trying to fill the Kryptonian hole Conner had left in her heart.

Saying that I did enjoy her rivalry with Rose and how catty they got with each other though definitely feel Cassie got the short-end of the stick there as Rose was often framed as the cool rebel not afraid to drop the harsh truth while Cassie was often positioned as the the stuck-up priss who was overly self-righteous and unreasonable.

From what I gather from people who read it at the time Cassie was very unpopular with the fandom back then and I can't say I blame them as I read this run in a few sittings but can't imagine how it must of been to have to deal for 2 years with a Cassie who was constantly moody and aggro with her teammates because she couldn't get over her dead boyfriend.
    They may have referenced it plenty since she was in mourning which is realistic but it wasn't the only thing she had going for her or what started the Rose rivalry.

As for Cassie she's spent so much time being defined by her relationship to men it's good that writers are starting to give her back her old characterisation, it was the only time her and Conner's relationship really worked back in YJ where her feelings for him was just one aspect of her personality instead of her most defining trait as it became in Titans. Writing female characters as love interests first and people second ironically usually ends up hurting the romance as the key to a successful one is when both parties feel like equals instead of the "Hero" and his "Girlfriend".

It's probably a moot point anyway if they were going to put them back together they would've done it by now, again I suspect the editorial mandate to no intermingling among the hero families is real, and the chances of them even appearing in a book together in any significant way are slim.
    You left out the biggest part of the romance angle. Cassie was his girlfriend BECAUSE he treated her as an equal. She was written as a person first love interest SECOND.

They may have referenced it plenty since she was in mourning which is realistic but it wasn't the only thing she had going for her or what started the Rose rivalry.
    Yeah, the way Kon kept getting mentioned MADE SENSE.

This is the sort of thing you DON'T forget. It wasn't just her though. It was EVERYONE who knew Kon doing this.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    You left out the biggest part of the romance angle. Cassie was his girlfriend BECAUSE he treated her as an equal. She was written as a person first love interest SECOND.
    If you're talking about their time in YJ than yes I agree they were treated as equals within the narrative because Peter David clearly had an invested interest in Cassie as an individual but under Geoff John's?... nah.

He unfortunately largely saw Cassie as an extension of Conner and what's worse is he didn't even let her play the role of "girlfriend" effectively as the person Conner continually confides in and goes to for emotional support is Tim not her and it was ironically this writing decision that largely created the Timkon ship hilariously enough.

A way that could've improved things between them would've been to given Cassie own struggle with Ares a similar level of importance to Conner's fears about Lex instead of it being mostly a forgotten footnote, have their stories run parallel as thematically they're very similar, a fear of corruption from evil familial influence, and show Cassie and Conner openly confide in and support one another, if their suppose to be partners then they should be allowed that level of trust and intimacy instead of leaving Cassie in the dark and to the side like she was under Johns.

And while I don't inherently mind the idea of Cassie mourning Conner's death I suspect the reason later writers kept going back to that well again and again for so many years was less about "realism" and more to do with them struggling to think up storylines for Cassie outside her relationship as it had become her core aspect after so long, her previous characterization had been forgotten and it had basically become a self-perpetuating problem.
    Last edited by walk; 02-01-2024 at 10:28 AM.

Mighty Member

I wonder how Johns feels about Timkon given he said he was basing their relationship under his writing off that of him and his brother

For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Maria Laura Sanapo posted this on twitter for an upcoming title, I wonder what it could be?

Maria Laura Sanapo posted this on twitter for an upcoming title, I wonder what it could be?
    Dare I hope for a costume change spinning out of House of Brainiac? Not crazy about him going back to t-shirt and jeans though.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

He looks like New 52 Supes.