Page 28 of 36 FirstFirst ... 18242526272829303132 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Coop View Post
    Saw the Web Of Spider-Man Chasm story and had to look up who wrote it cause to me at least it didn't feel meaningfully different than his other appearances. Now he's a gothic edge lord going on about how sad he is and torment etc. this is just a really boring character who bears no resemblance to Ben Reilly and has a singular purpose, get revenge for a misremembered sleight.

The Kaine part was better. There was more naunce and depth to his character. I like the unmasked look they went with for the most part

Nothing that's motivated me to put down money for Curse of Kaine. I think Ben Reilly fans should be ready to endure more rough water. The shore seems a ways out from here.
    Its just the beginning of the story and Ben being tormented and brooding was a large part of who he was early on as Scarlet Spider. Obviously, this is an extreme of that, but he has been through a lot and been driven insane, so it's not like he's going to suddenly be different in this short prelude to a larger story. At least he isn't being written comedically this time like he was in Dark Web.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainUniverse View Post
    No, he's gone back to his 90's Grunge Rocker look.

Good to know as that's the look that sets him apart from Ben & Peter the most. The man bun look sets him apart too and while it's no doubt the most practical look he could have for fighting crime in a full face mask with long hair it was just visually off putting for me.

I wonder how people would feel if Kaine adopted some type of half mask look or something more similar to his 90's mask but with more of a heroic/anti-hero bent.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by classicgmer View Post
    Good to know as that's the look that sets him apart from Ben & Peter the most. The man bun look sets him apart too and while it's no doubt the most practical look he could have for fighting crime in a full face mask with long hair it was just visually off putting for me.

I wonder how people would feel if Kaine adopted some type of half mask look or something more similar to his 90's mask but with more of a heroic/anti-hero bent.
    I was partial to Yost's Scarlet Spider run, so I always liked the idea of Kaine looking like a bigger, more weathered, buzz-cutted Peter Parker, but the long hair is his most distinctive look. As for the costume, I wouldn't mind a change. I always like his mask as gloves as Scarlet Spider, but the actual costume felt awkward. It almost looked like they took a similar "upside down triangle spider logo and bigger spider logo" like Miles and Peter have on their costumes, but had him wear it backwards. Something about the back and front logos on Kaine’s costume always look wrong to me, like they should be on reverse sides. The red also has very little to break it up. I feel like it's an awkward costume.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    Its just the beginning of the story and Ben being tormented and brooding was a large part of who he was early on as Scarlet Spider. Obviously, this is an extreme of that, but he has been through a lot and been driven insane, so it's not like he's going to suddenly be different in this short prelude to a larger story. At least he isn't being written comedically this time like he was in Dark Web.
    I didn't expect him to suddenly act differently, I was just expressing my disappointment at what's on the page. Which I didn't particularly enjoy regardless of whether or not it makes sense. I kinda just roll my eyes at the Ben narration and dialogue which doesn't feel that reminicisent of his earlier narration when he was introduced. I just don't find Chasm an interesting or compelling character in every instance he's appeared

I'll agree it's a step that he's not being written as a Gag character like Wells rights him. Whether that's a step in a good or bad direction is TBD imo

Astonishing Member

Todd Dezago (of Sensational Spider-Man) has a new podcast. The current episode has him interviewing Howard Mackie and they talk a lot about the Clone Saga and Ben Reilly. It’s on Spotify but I think this is a direct link.

https://sites.libsyn.com/511928/issu...94AMktlMYN5M54
    Former CBR writer. See my old articles here.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    Todd Dezago (of Sensational Spider-Man) has a new podcast. The current episode has him interviewing Howard Mackie and they talk a lot about the Clone Saga and Ben Reilly. It’s on Spotify but I think this is a direct link.

https://sites.libsyn.com/511928/issu...94AMktlMYN5M54
    Thanks! I love Dezago

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    I was partial to Yost's Scarlet Spider run, so I always liked the idea of Kaine looking like a bigger, more weathered, buzz-cutted Peter Parker, but the long hair is his most distinctive look. As for the costume, I wouldn't mind a change. I always like his mask as gloves as Scarlet Spider, but the actual costume felt awkward. It almost looked like they took a similar "upside down triangle spider logo and bigger spider logo" like Miles and Peter have on their costumes, but had him wear it backwards. Something about the back and front logos on Kaine’s costume always look wrong to me, like they should be on reverse sides. The red also has very little to break it up. I feel like it's an awkward costume.
    I love Kaines Scarlet Spider costume, felt as much Scarlet Spider as Bens. Just me, though *Shrugs*

Day 95 of waiting for solicitations on Chasm: Curse of Kaine

Since it looks like Wells is gonna be leaving with #54 and Bens last appearance in ASM is gonna be #48, it's probably safe to guess that Wells is gonna let Steve Foxe resolve Ben's arc himself. Which hey, wouldn't be the first time.

I don't know how I feel about Druig being the antagonist of this book. I don't care about the Eternals at all and I really would just like a more grounded story with Ben and Kaine without them being tied in with all this cosmic and mystical stuff. But maybe this is just their "thing" now, Marvel's way of giving them a niche, I suppose.

Honestly as long as it ends with Ben being himself again, I'll live with it. At the very least I trust Foxe more than other writers at this point. At least he actually likes the character.

Now, all that being said, there remains one question...WHERE IS ARACELY MARVEL

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JustLuke View Post

Since it looks like Wells is gonna be leaving with #54 and Bens last appearance in ASM is gonna be #48, it's probably safe to guess that Wells is gonna let Steve Foxe resolve Ben's arc himself. Which hey, wouldn't be the first time.

I don't know how I feel about Druig being the antagonist of this book. I don't care about the Eternals at all and I really would just like a more grounded story with Ben and Kaine without them being tied in with all this cosmic and mystical stuff. But maybe this is just their "thing" now, Marvel's way of giving them a niche, I suppose.

Honestly as long as it ends with Ben being himself again, I'll live with it. At the very least I trust Foxe more than other writers at this point. At least he actually likes the character.

Yes, that is the relevant question. As for Druig being the antagonist, I'd have rather gone with Spidercide or Jackal/Miles Warren. Maybe bring back the Great Game and Joystick, since they tangled with both Ben and Kaine during Ben's original time as Spider-Man. If we had to go with someone supernatural or cosmic, how about D'Spayre, whom Ben mentioned having had an encounter with in his "Lost Years" period in the first regular Spider-Man comic after Maximum Clonage ended? Been my personal canon that D'Spayre got his hooks into Ben during his repeated torturous murders and reanimations at the hands of the Jackal, and perhaps even during Spider-Man Beyond when that started going bad. Speaking of Beyond, could try the twisted Beyonders who turned out to be secretly backing Beyond Corporation wanting to finish the job they started on Ben, or "The Chasm Formerly Known as Ben Reilly," and completely hollow him out into a perfect vessel for them to emerge into this reality through.
    Last edited by Huntsman Spider; 03-30-2024 at 06:27 PM.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JustLuke View Post

I reckon they should announce something after ASM 48

Belated, but finally got Ben in my collection here. Quite the upgrade from my old Toy Biz figure.

Here’s hoping he has a proper return in the comics soon.
    Join the "Spider-Fam" Community! - Celebrating Love and Advocating for Our Hero to Beat the Devil! - https://discord.gg/VQ2mHzBBFu

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Garlador View Post

Belated, but finally got Ben in my collection here. Quite the upgrade from my old Toy Biz figure.

That looks so great, little weirded by the feet but is beautiful figure nonetheless

Fantastic Member

Excellent. I have always wanted that Scarlet Spider but am trying to be content with my Mafex.
    20240220_220505.jpg

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sr. Bungle View Post
    That looks so great, little weirded by the feet but is beautiful figure nonetheless
    I believe the feet are based on tabi shoes that were supposed to have been worn by ninja to enhance their feet's gripping ability on surfaces when they needed to climb.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member

Fellow Ben ejoyers, ehat are your hopes and fears for our boy in ASM 47 and 48?