Page 11 of 36 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    Because she’s not a murderous super villain? At least that’s not how she was written in the miniseries that literally came out less than a year ago.
    in issue 3 of her series she wish Ben taken Peter out. She never liked him
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    That's fine, but it just seems odd to come into an appreciation thread for a character to basically say the character is forever ruined
    I answered a question.

And I'd say there's a difference between a character being "ruined" and my own enjoyment of them being exhausted. Which is why I've been careful at every step to qualify everything as a personal feeling rather than an objective statement of how things should be.

You'll even see that my little profile pic pokes fun at the idea that "ruined forever" is a thing

you'll refuse to read anything with them ever again, regardless of quality.
    Not quite

In the comment you replied to, I mentioned the context under which I would be interested in reading Ben again

Regardless, I appreciate the opportunity to explore my thoughts with you. I'll take your suggestions under consideration
    troo fan or death

Actually it was established during the Clone Saga that he doesn’t. Though I don’t know if that’s been contradicted by other writers.
    Yup, though it was muddy even in the clone saga. Maximum Clonage had Kaine remember learning to become Peter for months before his rejection by the Jackal...which at least implies some memory stuff would be involved

On the other hand Redemption has Kaine recall his early days as having only vague outlines of Peter's memories.

Maybe it's a case of later publication supplants the earlier as canon? As much as I adore the Clone Saga, cohesion and consistency wasn't one of its strong points
    troo fan or death

Quote Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
    I would love for me to say that it was me that changed but it was comics. I no longer recognize most characters. Not in the legacy/swap way but in how they act. Ben doesn’t read like Ben, even early Beyond I was not feeling it. Except JDM’s mini I haven’t really felt it was him since he died. He’s a new character who uses nostalgia to entice buyers. Especially as Chasm.

I think Foxe will do a good job with him because my experience with him is that he cares. But his hands are tied and whatever he does will be built on something that isn’t Ben. Not in the meaningful ways.

I am also getting tired and worn down by this. Comics are dying and that used to make me sad, now I’m just thinking about when to jump ship.
    I hear you. I mean, no industry is the same as the ones we grew up with...so I don't begrudge Marvel for doing what they think is best

To a point. There are times when I think decisions aren't being made with the best of creative intentions and perhaps influenced by bean counters or marketing or trends, which again, is to be expected in commercial art/entertainment but it doesn't mean that's going to speak to all of us.

Weirdly, even though I enjoyed JMD's mini immensely...his Ben as Spider-Man felt more angsty and dark than the one I recall from those years...but I can roll with that. People aren't NPCs...we get in moods or funks or react differently in different situations

But I think you've nailed my overall vibe take on this; the Ben Reilly currently being published has yet to feel like the one that I enjoyed so much as a kid (rose coloured glasses aside). Whether it's me that's changed, the characters or the industry doesn't much matter when the result is more or less the same
    troo fan or death

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Above and Beyond, a fanfic I found on Archive of Our Own based on an alternate outcome for Spider-Man Beyond after Beyond Corporation started messing with Ben's brain and memories. Kaine shows up in it, too, and his past antagonism toward Ben and Peter is a major part of the drama that ensues as Peter tries to rehabilitate Ben.

Malleable, a much shorter and even less happy fanfic, also on Archive of Our Own, from Ben's viewpoint on Maxine Danger messing with his mind and memories.

Just thought I'd share these. Read them and thought they were good.
    Thanks for this, as someone who cut their creative teeth on Ben Reilly fanfic back in the day, I'm curious to check these out.
    troo fan or death

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Above and Beyond, a fanfic I found on Archive of Our Own based on an alternate outcome for Spider-Man Beyond after Beyond Corporation started messing with Ben's brain and memories. Kaine shows up in it, too, and his past antagonism toward Ben and Peter is a major part of the drama that ensues as Peter tries to rehabilitate Ben.

Malleable, a much shorter and even less happy fanfic, also on Archive of Our Own, from Ben's viewpoint on Maxine Danger messing with his mind and memories.

Just thought I'd share these. Read them and thought they were good.
    Thaks for those. I loved Malleable

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    Thanks for this, as someone who cut their creative teeth on Ben Reilly fanfic back in the day, I'm curious to check these out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sr. Bungle View Post
    Thaks for those. I loved Malleable
    You're very welcome.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Spectacular Member 9AlphaOmega1's Avatar

I said it before, IMO, I think Ben should be the main Spider-Man, and Peter can be Peter.

The thing I notice with Well's run on ASM is he wants to write about Spider-Man stories not Peter Parker stories, and the payoffs are not really payoffs but setting up the next thing.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by 9AlphaOmega1 View Post
    I said it before, IMO, I think Ben should be the main Spider-Man, and Peter can be Peter.

The thing I notice with Well's run on ASM is he wants to write about Spider-Man stories not Peter Parker stories, and the payoffs are not really payoffs but setting up the next thing.
    Yeah, his supporting cast is criminally underwritten in this run, unless it’s… y’know… Norman or Paul. Ugh.

As for Ben, Miles has shown there’s room enough for more than one Spider-Man.
    Former CBR writer. See my old articles here.

Yeah, his supporting cast is criminally underwritten in this run, unless it’s… y’know… Norman or Paul. Ugh.
    That's the first time I've heard someone - even a defender of the current run - suggest that Paul isn't underwritten.
    Petrus Maria Johannaque sunt nubendi

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Daibhidh View Post
    That's the first time I've heard someone - even a defender of the current run - suggest that Paul isn't underwritten.
    Let me clarify. I don’t mean he’s written well. I just mean he’s written about ad nauseam. He’s appeared more than JJJ, more than Aunt May, more than Flash, Robbie, Betty, etc. The only traditional supporting character who has appeared more is MJ and that’s because she’s in a relationship with him (which has gone over super well with fans). But despite his heavy presence in the books, his characterization is as deep as a puddle.
    Former CBR writer. See my old articles here.

Let me clarify. I don’t mean he’s written well. I just mean he’s written about ad nauseam. He’s appeared more than JJJ, more than Aunt May, more than Flash, Robbie, Betty, etc. The only traditional supporting character who has appeared more is MJ and that’s because she’s in a relationship with him (which has gone over super well with fans). But despite his heavy presence in the books, his characterization is as deep as a puddle.
    I wouldn’t even consider Flash to be a supporting character anymore due to his anti venom role. Robbie and Betty are Bugle and Peter isn’t apart of that world anymore.

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    I wouldn’t even consider Flash to be a supporting character anymore due to his anti venom role. Robbie and Betty are Bugle and Peter isn’t apart of that world anymore.
    Actually what does Betty even do for a job?

Quote Originally Posted by Mercwmouth12 View Post
    Actually what does Betty even do for a job?
    She’s a reporter last time I checked

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    She’s a reporter last time I checked

Is there any confirmation of that after Spencer's run?