Page 21 of 36 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    Had they kept to their original idea of having Ben take Peter's name and just live as Peter Parker---the logistics of which seem impossible---then you'd basically have a Peter Parker that had all the classic Lee/Ditko stories and beyond in his background, so he might have stuck around.

As blond-haired Ben Reilly? Yeah, probably not.

And honestly, as a Ben fan, I don't need him to be the "one, true Spider-Man" or even Spider-Man. As Spider-Man or as Scarlet Spider, I think Ben was always really interesting as his own character with his own enemies and backstory. Being a clone and wrestling with that, traveling the world and dealing with his own villains and friends, building his own life and identity made him more interesting to me than just being Peter 2.0.
    This. 10char

Quote Originally Posted by IamnotJudasTraveller View Post
    Life of Reilly has pretty much confirmed that for a long while now - I think we're edging on it being two decades old, even. Not only does the usually touted "sales tanked" talking points not hold when you see the data we do have on Comichron, at least, Glenn Greenberg said in these articles that the editor that got the short end of the stick was done wrong (as long as you measure the line's success in sales, at least), and even Brevoort himself has said he agrees the guy didn't get a fair shake as recently as last year or so.
    LoR is what started me wondering about that, but from memory the best i could do was infer it from what the participants said. i don't recall any hard numbers being discussed.
    troo fan or death

Wig Over The Hoodie Style IamnotJudasTraveller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    LoR is what started me wondering about that, but from memory the best i could do was infer it from what the participants said. i don't recall any hard numbers being discussed.
    Greenberg doesn't give hard numbers, but he says Budiansky (I think that was him) not only managed to keep the sales around the same level as when the crash happened, but also actually improve on them.
    Discovering/CONFESSING! the nature of evil... one retcon at a time.

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

ASM #46 Parkerverse variant (featuring Ben and Janine along with Tombstone, Gold Goblin, Red Goblin and Kindred):

"The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainUniverse View Post
    ASM #46 Parkerverse variant (featuring Ben and Janine along with Tombstone, Gold Goblin, Red Goblin and Kindred):

Marcos Martin is a godsend

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Why is Kindred with The Chasm Formerly Known as Ben Reilly instead of Janine/Hallows' Eve?
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Why is Kindred with The Chasm Formerly Known as Ben Reilly instead of Janine/Hallows' Eve?
    Probably because the artist thought they looked cool next to one another. Either that or they represent ASM vol.5 with Kindred being Spencer's run and Chasm being Beyond.
    Last edited by CaptainUniverse; 02-23-2024 at 04:28 PM.
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

Astonishing Member

Norman is also technically included twice since he’s been both Red and Gold. But the cover is beautiful and I love Marcos Martin.
    Former CBR writer. See my old articles here.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Probably because the artist thought they looked cool next to one another. Either that or they represent ASM vol.5 with Kindred being Spencer's run and Chasm being Beyond.
    Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    Norman is also technically included twice since he’s been both Red and Gold. But the cover is beautiful and I love Marcos Martin.
    Fair enough, both of you.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by IamnotJudasTraveller View Post
    Greenberg doesn't give hard numbers, but he says Budiansky (I think that was him) not only managed to keep the sales around the same level as when the crash happened, but also actually improve on them.
    Ah, maybe I missed that. Do you remember which entry it was in? Or do you have the quote handy?
    troo fan or death

Wig Over The Hoodie Style IamnotJudasTraveller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    Ah, maybe I missed that. Do you remember which entry it was in? Or do you have the quote handy?
    It was on part 24.
    As the “Blood Brothers” story line was coming to a close, Marvel had another major downsizing, and Spider-Man editors Bob Budiansky and Eric Fein were laid off from the company. As long-time readers of this column know, Budiansky had been the Editor in Chief of the Spider-Man Group, but became Spider-Man Group Editor when Bob Harras was promoted to Editor in Chief of Marvel.

There was no lack of irony associated with the firing of Bob Budiansky. My understanding is that under Marvel’s “Five Editors in Chief” system, which was in place from the end of 1994 to the end of 1995, each of the EICs had to increase the sales figures of their lines of books by a certain percentage over the course of that year. (Those groups consisted of the Spider-Man Group, the X-Men Group, the Edge Group, the Marvel Heroes Group, and the Licensed Titles/Marvel Alterniverse Group.) The way I’ve always heard it, the only group to meet its sales figure requirements over that year was the Spider-Man Group, under the leadership of Bob Budiansky. But the “Five Chiefs” scenario was ultimately phased out and Harras was appointed the one and only EIC. Shortly thereafter, the order came down from on high that more heads had to roll. To the people deciding who would stay and who would go, the fact that Budiansky had managed to maintain the sales on Spider-Man, and even improve them, during a time when sales were going down across the entire comics industry, was not enough to save him from being downsized.
    https://www.benreillytribute.x10host...fReilly24.html
    Discovering/CONFESSING! the nature of evil... one retcon at a time.

Fantastic Member

Stupid overly convoluted villains no one is in a rush to see again?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Coop View Post
    Ben went from someone I hotly anticipated appearing to someone I dread appearing.
    Former CBR writer. See my old articles here.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Coop View Post
    I think is chronological since the last arc of Slott to now.

Red Goblin>Kindred>Chasm>Tombstone>Hallows Eve>Gold Goblin
    Last edited by Sr. Bungle; 02-26-2024 at 07:54 AM.

I swear to god, I don't know how long it will take, but I believe in my heart of hearts Ben Reilly will come back to us. It may take another 2 or 3 years, but I truly think Ben will be a hero again. This may be cope, I might be deluding myself, but I have to hope. There's not much left to do after all, lol