Page 4 of 36 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    I still feel like the real Ben never came back.

It reminds me of this meme

Attachment 136877

I feel like there’s only been one or two moments that have reminded me of 90s Ben since he was brought back in 2016.
    We had him in Cantwell's Iron Man. We still can, If Hal Jordan and Bishop came back from genocide so can Ben from being an edgy teenager

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sr. Bungle View Post
    We had him in Cantwell's Iron Man. We still can, If Hal Jordan and Bishop came back from genocide so can Ben from being an edgy teenager
    Cantwell’s IM issues with Ben were fine. But he was just a generic hero in it. He didn’t really do anything that distinctive or interesting. I did love how the artist depicted the Scarlet Spider costume. And Ben had a couple fun interactions with Leap Frog, but there was nothing that interesting outside of that.

I actually really liked Ben asking Peter for permission to be Spidey in ASM#877 (or volume 5 #76) after Pete was hospitalized following the battle with the U-Foes. It seemed like the same Ben from the 90s still struggling with his place in the world and whether he has a right to don the webs even though he’s a clone. Of course, Wells then had to ruin it by perverting this character development later on when Ben had his mind wiped and became unhinged. But the first couple chapters of “Beyond” were decent if you ignore how it ended. So that’s probably my favorite post-resurrection moment of his. I also liked him fighting Death to bring Kaine back to life in PAD’s Scarlet Spider series (I think #7?) even though I think most of that series is pretty mediocre (and the ending is outright terrible). But yeah, that’s about it.
    Former CBR writer. See my old articles here.

Fantastic Member

Cantwell’s IM issues with Ben were fine. But he was just a generic hero in it. He didn’t really do anything that distinctive or interesting. I did love how the artist depicted the Scarlet Spider costume. And Ben had a couple fun interactions with Leap Frog, but there was nothing that interesting outside of that.

I actually really liked Ben asking Peter for permission to be Spidey in ASM#877 (or volume 5 #76) after Pete was hospitalized following the battle with the U-Foes. It seemed like the same Ben from the 90s still struggling with his place in the world and whether he has a right to don the webs even though he’s a clone. Of course, Wells then had to ruin it by perverting this character development later on when Ben had his mind wiped and became unhinged. But the first couple chapters of “Beyond” were decent if you ignore how it ended. So that’s probably my favorite post-resurrection moment of his. I also liked him fighting Death to bring Kaine back to life in PAD’s Scarlet Spider series (I think #7?) even though I think most of that series is pretty mediocre (and the ending is outright terrible). But yeah, that’s about it.
    Agreed. That's the twist of the knife. There was a much more interesting story about the two of them trying to coexist then what ultimately unfolded. Wells seem to have a good handle on a Ben putting on a brave face and getting through his PTSD and trying to do good again.

But yeah it all kind of got binned for an ultimately disappointing story that was regressive and destructive for the character instead of progressive and additive.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Coop View Post
    Agreed. That's the twist of the knife. There was a much more interesting story about the two of them trying to coexist then what ultimately unfolded. Wells seem to have a good handle on a Ben putting on a brave face and getting through his PTSD and trying to do good again.

But yeah it all kind of got binned for an ultimately disappointing story that was regressive and destructive for the character instead of progressive and additive.
    Generally cosigned, though I would add that Cantwell's Iron Man issues guest-starring Ben Reilly also had a pretty good philosophical bit with him debating the nature and existence of God (or the idea of a god) in light of his experiences as a clone. That was something I thought could have been well expanded on if Cantwell was intending to do a Ben-focused Spider-Man run, which I'd still be looking forward to, with no disrespect intended toward Steve Foxe, who at least gave us some hope in Dark X-Men that The Chasm Formerly Known as Ben Reilly still had some scruples left to him despite his utterly FUBAR mental state.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

You know, I recall reading a tweet from Lowe saying that he understands why fans of Ben feel the way they do about Chasm, but that they still believe in the story they're telling with the character. I have to wonder if he still stands by that statement. I guess we'll know for sure when Chasm: Curse of Kaine comes out this summer.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JustLuke View Post
    You know, I recall reading a tweet from Lowe saying that he understands why fans of Ben feel the way they do about Chasm, but that they still believe in the story they're telling with the character. I have to wonder if he still stands by that statement. I guess we'll know for sure when Chasm: Curse of Kaine comes out this summer.
    Wasn't that in a Con?

I've been asking myself this a lot lately and I figured I'd ask other fans of Ben as well.

Would you support a book that is set in a universe that is either A) "The Real Clone Saga" or B) a universe where Ben survives "Revelations." Both books would focus on Ben before he was (IMO) irreparably damaged by later writers as he leaves New York to truly create a new life for himself.

At this point, I'd support such a title even though it isn't the 616 version of Ben. It seems to me that, like a married Peter in 616, we're not going to see Ben restored to his heroic self. I hate settling, but that seems to be what we have to do these days.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by All Star Superman View Post
    I've been asking myself this a lot lately and I figured I'd ask other fans of Ben as well.

Would you support a book that is set in a universe that is either A) "The Real Clone Saga" or B) a universe where Ben survives "Revelations." Both books would focus on Ben before he was (IMO) irreparably damaged by later writers as he leaves New York to truly create a new life for himself.

At this point, I'd support such a title even though it isn't the 616 version of Ben. It seems to me that, like a married Peter in 616, we're not going to see Ben restored to his heroic self. I hate settling, but that seems to be what we have to do these days.
    Sure, I’d read it. But why does he have to leave New York? He has his job at the Daily Grind and a budding romance with Desiree. I’d be more interested in him staying and Peter and him sharing Spidey duties as Pete suggested in Revelations part 2. In this scenario, Baby May also lives (as an alive Ben mourning a dead Mayday is somehow even more depressing than what happened), and Ben being single is the primary Spidey while Peter as the responsible family man is more of a pinch-hitter who jumps into action when he’s needed (maybe it breaks down with Ben as Spidey 75% of the time while Pete is Spidey 25%). That to me would be a cool scenario that’s never been explored. That said, I’ll take what I can get and would still like to see more stories with Ben on the road too. But to be honest, it’s his brotherly bond with Peter that is my favorite aspect of the saga.

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by All Star Superman View Post

I would like to see a continuation of "The Real Clone Saga" universe. Last time we saw Ben, he was heading back out on the road but Peter and MJ were certain they'd see him again since he promised to come visit his niece.
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

Astonishing Member

Mainstream comics media is starting to view the clone saga in a different light

https://aiptcomics.com/2024/01/17/am...e-saga-review/

the start of the clone saga isnt the problem its the middle and the end thats where the problem is
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainUniverse View Post
    I would like to see a continuation of "The Real Clone Saga" universe. Last time we saw Ben, he was heading back out on the road but Peter and MJ were certain they'd see him again since he promised to come visit his niece.
    I second this. It’s been one of my wishes to hope to see this Ben pop up from all the various Spider-verse crossovers we’ve had, but alas, at least he’s relatively safe.

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blanks View Post
    I second this. It’s been one of my wishes to hope to see this Ben pop up from all the various Spider-verse crossovers we’ve had, but alas, at least he’s relatively safe.
    Yeah, I don't think anyone at Marvel remembers that they did The Real Clone Saga. The only Ben to show up in any recent Spider-Verse comic was the one from Spider-Man: The Animated Series but he was just a background character in End of the Spider-Verse.
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    the start of the clone saga isnt the problem its the middle and the end thats where the problem is
    Only the middle. The end has some of the strongest stuff with Ben in the Spidey suit. People who hate on it are fans who checked out in the middle during ‘Maximum Clonage’ and just assumed that standard of quality continued. But I reread the last year (with gems like the Dan Jurgens and then Dezago/Wieringo ‘Sensational’ runs, or “Web of Carnage” arc, or the Spider-Man: Redemption miniseries, and even “Revelations”) much more than I reread the first year. I know YMMV but I think all that stuff is pretty strong.

Astonishing Member

I reread all the Epic Clone Saga/Ben Reilly collections a few years ago, and while the middle is rough, I really enjoyed it overall. Even the kinda bad parts were still fun to revisit.