Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default John Henry Irons/Steel Appreciation 2024

Loved the Steelworks miniseries...and hope for more (like an ongoing)this year.

lanalang6.jpg

Here's to a great year for John Henry, Lana, and Natasha

Happy New Year to John Henry Irons and his fans !

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Knightsilver View Post
    Loved the Steelworks miniseries...and hope for more (like an ongoing)this year.
    Indeed! Meantime, it's nice to see him in the John GL book too.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Incredible Member

So how did everyone feel about the Steelworks comic? Don't see anyone talking about it, but was thinking of picking it up as someone who isn't too much of a Superman fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Shockingjustice View Post
    So how did everyone feel about the Steelworks comic? Don't see anyone talking about it, but was thinking of picking it up as someone who isn't too much of a Superman fan.
    I think it was pretty good. Won't be making any Top 10 lists, but if you want to read something with JHI then it is not a bad option.

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shockingjustice View Post
    Thought it was enjoyable. Decent writing from Dorn (which I believe was his first) and solid art from Basri. Cool mecha fights. Some good character moments. Worth a read for JHI fans.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

JHI and Nat in War Journal this week:

I'd have posted this in the Natasha Irons thread but that one doesn't exist I suppose is telling, I still believe Christopher Priest has been only writer to give this girl a personality, it might've of been an abrasive and often unlikable one but it was also hilarious and at times uncomfortably real, it grabbed my attention and stayed with me long after I'd finished the run which is something I sadly can't say about Natasha in anything else I've read her in.

I find it's an issue with a lot black heroes in comics, there often written (usually by white writers) to be more aspirational as opposed to flawed, complex or well rounded, which leads to inoffensive but ultimately bland characters.

I think a bitchy sardonic Nat who glams up her iron suit with jewellery and decal would actually prove popular or at least give her something of fandom which she's never had.
    Last edited by walk; 01-23-2024 at 11:35 PM.

“Gordon Goodbrothers” is the term for it apparently. Black characters who don’t get the flaws or conflicts that the white ones do and just come across as bland. Dunno if Natasha would be more popular without her suit, the way civilians have been diminishing as supporting cast members in superhero comics kinda points in the opposite direction. If she hadn’t become a hero she would have disappeared for good.

And of course Priest pushed the envelope with Nat, he was and is great at finding the humanity in characters. Still consider him the definitive Steel writer and I wish his run influenced takes on Irons.

What are the dets on Steel's armour? That bust makes it look like he is covrred in a skin close patina of metal a la Captain Atom. Are Natasha's powers suit born or is she meta or otherwise powered?

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    What are the dets on Steel's armour? That bust makes it look like he is covrred in a skin close patina of metal a la Captain Atom. Are Natasha's powers suit born or is she meta or otherwise powered?
    Currently his suit is nanotech. Nat is likewise not a meta, her powers come from her suits. Recommend the recent Steelworks mini by Dorn and Basri if you want to get up to date on Steel’s status quo.

Irons and Nat in the DC Power Special