Page 19 of 31 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MaximoffTrash View Post
    I don't mind the coloring but it's kinda funny that a lot of folks' only comment on Wanda's art design is her skin tone.(Some also bring up eye and hair color, and I am fondly reminded of the hair/eye color inconsistency talk here when we were bored lol.)
    And while some Twitter accounts can be incredibly annoying, Wanda's popularity is barely affected by them at the end of the day, everytime she tanks, it's usually some creator/writer's funny idea and perception of her character, not exactly her art design.

If anything, not finding reason to talk about and cancel a character is due to the lack of farmable engagement, which is why Pietro got talked about less.
    Yeah her bad years were a result of hack storytelling that thrust her out of comics for years.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    I'm going to regret talking about this, but seeing this new cover for an Avengers reprint reminds me why I'm still worried by the new color guides for Wanda's skin tone. It's more obvious here than usual but even in the Scarlet Witch/Quicksilver mini it seems clear they're coloring Pietro more traditionally while retroactively making Wanda a PoC. At the very least they should look the same, but the "whitewashing" complaints for various reasons have mostly been about Wanda.

I get nervous that at some point the "whitewashing" discourse around MCU Wanda is going to blow up and make it harder for the MCU version to get fixed, which in turn will make it harder for the comic version, because "WandaVision" is the only reason she's gotten so many appearances in the last couple of years after being mostly neglected since her 2015 solo (which also only exists because of the MCU). I find it funny that Marvel is currently trying to appeal to both WV fans and people who think the MCU version is a Nazi.

Sigh. I'm sorry, I should be enjoying her run while it lasts and instead I'm just worried about her getting canceled (literally and figuratively).

Certain types of fans have harassed artists online (and take great pride in that !) who depicted her the way she's been drawn and colored for most of the decades she's been around. It's something I noticed was slowly building with Elizabeth Olsen being cast then it really skyrocketed with Wandavision which is the same year we got Trial of Magneto, the last time she was depicted with very light skin, and Darkhold, the beginning of Marvel consistently depicting her with brown skin as opposed to years gone by where she was very clearly white with occasional runs depicting her as tanned or brown sprinkled about.

Extraordinary Member

The funniest phenomenon is some user with X-Men PFP harass random artist online, and then turn around praising X-Men Evolution Wanda simply because her look is based on an actress with Romani heritage, never mind Evolution Wanda is pale as heck and mostly Americanized(and pretty much stripped of most classic Wanda's traits and historical points). I am glad for artistic consistency now.(Bye, bye inconsistency jokes) But it's all aesthetics and fluff for some folks.
    Last edited by MaximoffTrash; 03-28-2024 at 07:57 PM.

Managed to get Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver #2. It is interesting to see Wanda in a more vulnerable state after almost becoming the One Hex Woman. Also love Pietro using Maximus's stuff. I just hope Wanda's actions here don't get abused by some hack writer down the line.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Galerion View Post
    Also credit to this poster for putting it together

https://twitter.com/lizzieonfilm/sta...96245335748642

It's cool to see how details like that become part of the character.

Oh wow that is her signature pose.

She really does like using that move.

The funniest phenomenon is some user with X-Men PFP harass random artist online, and then turn around praising X-Men Evolution Wanda simply because her look is based on an actress with Romani heritage, never mind Evolution Wanda is pale as **** and mostly Americanized(and pretty much stripped of most classic Wanda's traits and historical points). I am glad for artistic consistency now.(Bye, bye inconsistency jokes) But it's all aesthetics and fluff for some folks.
    Yeah, they're delusional if they think the Evolution crew based her on that actress (or rather her character in The Craft) knowing she was romani lol. At the same time I wouldn't be surprised if they knew it deep down but still didn't care because they only care to hate MCU Wanda.

The funniest phenomenon is some user with X-Men PFP harass random artist online, and then turn around praising X-Men Evolution Wanda simply because her look is based on an actress with Romani heritage, never mind Evolution Wanda is pale as **** and mostly Americanized(and pretty much stripped of most classic Wanda's traits and historical points). I am glad for artistic consistency now.(Bye, bye inconsistency jokes) But it's all aesthetics and fluff for some folks.
    Yeah the actress she is based on is of descent like me, and Wanda is not. She's raised Roma and at least half if not full blood (depending on real father stuff), So that part doesn't really make sense. But I guess when Hollywood has basically done nothing with regards to letting Romani play themselves, even crumbs seem good.
    Last edited by GenericUsername; 03-28-2024 at 11:31 AM.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

By Jacopo Camagni

Funny how this will be the first time where we get an interior artist that actually uses the Dauterman design for her tiara.
    "This is me being reasonable"

By Jacopo Camagni

Funny how this will be the first time where we get an interior artist that actually uses the Dauterman design for her tiara.
    This one looks the best out of the 3 Wanda arts we've seen of him.

Extraordinary Member

By Jacopo Camagni

The inconsistency joke must stay!
    Again the Wada tiara is super complex and it's understandable when artists don't want to draw that in full detail, but her current one is very reasonable and she still has it randomly reverted to the classic one lol.

By Jacopo Camagni

That is incredible

I'm going to regret talking about this, but seeing this new cover for an Avengers reprint reminds me why I'm still worried by the new color guides for Wanda's skin tone. It's more obvious here than usual but even in the Scarlet Witch/Quicksilver mini it seems clear they're coloring Pietro more traditionally while retroactively making Wanda a PoC. At the very least they should look the same, but the "whitewashing" complaints for various reasons have mostly been about Wanda.

I get nervous that at some point the "whitewashing" discourse around MCU Wanda is going to blow up and make it harder for the MCU version to get fixed, which in turn will make it harder for the comic version, because "WandaVision" is the only reason she's gotten so many appearances in the last couple of years after being mostly neglected since her 2015 solo (which also only exists because of the MCU). I find it funny that Marvel is currently trying to appeal to both WV fans and people who think the MCU version is a Nazi.

Sigh. I'm sorry, I should be enjoying her run while it lasts and instead I'm just worried about her getting canceled (literally and figuratively).

You know, I think about that sometimes too. However then I think Elizabeth's performance as the Scarlet Witch/Wanda was fantastic. Yes Elizabeth is white but who knows how popular Wanda might have been or might NOT have been If played by another actress. Elizabeth put an incredible amount of time into studying Wanda's character and picking up her nuances and intricacies. Her performance on WandaVision was beyond stellar. So then I simply say well people are going to criticize one way or people are going to criticize the other. It's definitely an imperfect world and I just sit back and I'm grateful for the fact that Scarlet Witch became one of the most popular comic characters around due to Elizabeth's portrayal and fantastic acting abilities.

She has remained one of the most popular characters around and after the MCU reboots hopefully they can find an actress of Romani origin that will portray her with the same charisma, vulnerability, power and strength all at the same time. Finding a younger actress with the same acting capability is going to be slightly trickier because it's a much smaller pool to choose from. Hopefully they've already thought of that and are being intelligent and thinking now about finding young actresses of Romani descent to portray the Heroine that has become one of their most stellar and popular characters on screen.
    Last edited by Cubbyboo; 03-29-2024 at 12:05 PM.

Extraordinary Member

They’re never going to recast the part, especially since the MCU probably is closer to downsizing. Olsen is the only Scarlet Witch we’re ever getting, and I hope she isn’t aware of the online hate she gets (which probably isn’t noticed by many people yet).

I try not to argue with people who are disappointed about her Romani heritage not being part of the MCU version, because I’m not Romani. (I’m Jewish and I hate the Holocaust survivor retcon for Magneto, but I understand many Jewish readers feel differently.)

But a lot of the “whitewashing” talk online (not here) is based on making it sound like the character has always been Romani and it was always an important part of her background that the MCU ignored. When it was just a racist “magic” backstory that never became important at all until George Perez gave her that costume in 1998. When Wanda was cast in the MCU, the idea that she wasn’t white was almost pure headcanon.

So I feel like when the comics bow to pressure from the anti-whitewashing campaign or people who ganged up on an artist for making Wanda look like Elizabeth Olsen, they’re trying to please people who want to get rid of the MCU version, the only remotely comic accurate Wanda we ever got in an adaptation and the only reason she’s getting so many comics now. It feels like they’re trying to tear down the character.

Most of the time I just find it funny that her comic is trying to appeal to both MCU fans (without whom she’d be canceled long ago) and fans who think the MCU version is a whitewashed Nazi. But sometimes I just get depressed at the anti-Olsen campaigns & probably will be until the MCU version comes back.

They’re never going to recast the part, especially since the MCU probably is closer to downsizing. Olsen is the only Scarlet Witch we’re ever getting, and I hope she isn’t aware of the online hate she gets (which probably isn’t noticed by many people yet).

I try not to argue with people who are disappointed about her Romani heritage not being part of the MCU version, because I’m not Romani. (I’m Jewish and I hate the Holocaust survivor retcon for Magneto, but I understand many Jewish readers feel differently.)

But a lot of the “whitewashing” talk online (not here) is based on making it sound like the character has always been Romani and it was always an important part of her background that the MCU ignored. When it was just a racist “magic” backstory that never became important at all until George Perez gave her that costume in 1998. When Wanda was cast in the MCU, the idea that she wasn’t white was almost pure headcanon.

So I feel like when the comics bow to pressure from the anti-whitewashing campaign or people who ganged up on an artist for making Wanda look like Elizabeth Olsen, they’re trying to please people who want to get rid of the MCU version, the only remotely comic accurate Wanda we ever got in an adaptation and the only reason she’s getting so many comics now. It feels like they’re trying to tear down the character.

Most of the time I just find it funny that her comic is trying to appeal to both MCU fans (without whom she’d be canceled long ago) and fans who think the MCU version is a whitewashed Nazi. But sometimes I just get depressed at the anti-Olsen campaigns & probably will be until the MCU version comes back.
    I don't think it's right to say her not being white was a headcanon... Cause she was indeed romani in the comics already, first by the Maximoffs and then by Magda on the Magneto origin. The thing is that since the character was already around for over a decade, artists kept drawing and coloring her the same as usual, aka with pale skin/european features/blue or green eyes... Which isn't necessarily wrong, since that's how she had always looked, but at the same time it was kinda like her ethnicity was being ignored even after it being established.

So, I think her being colored with brown/tan skin now is a good thing, cause there are almost no romani characters in comics already and to say the few who are need to be white passing feels a bit disingenous. But it is quite annoying that certain people use it as a "gotcha" against MCU Wanda/Lizzie/their fandom. I think it would be slightly better if she hadn't said the g word twice (especially one recently), though to me it feels very obviously not malicious. Unfortunately on certain places on twitter it has essentially become normalized that you're either a fan of one or the other, the biggest Wanda fanpage for Brazil (that isn't just about the MCU) is from a known hater and it has all become a little circlejerk of people who think they're doing the epitome of activism, some of them even becoming a comic Wanda fan >because< of the whitewashing issue.

It's very possible that they are waiting to formally introduce a "team X" movie for a few years at least, due to the fact that the whole MCU may get reset when they do. If that happens Wanda will def be a part of it.

Otherwise Elizabeth's performance helped bring Wanda back from obscurity and against all odds made her WW level popular and a household name. One person at my comic shop actually said most people know WW only as her hero name but Wanda is known by both monikers equally. I'll always be grateful that we have her full time now no matter what. I'm fine with her bring darker in the comics, as she should be- she's quite beautiful with her darker skin tone. In the MCU I'll be just as happy to watch Elizabeth for as long as she portrays on the screen, because thanks to her and Jac Schaefer we now have Wanda as a superstar in both mediums.
    Last edited by Cubbyboo; 03-29-2024 at 04:12 PM.