Page 24 of 33 FirstFirst ... 14202122232425262728 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    I hated how they retconned Wanda and Pietro out of being Mags.' children. From the 80's 'Vision and Scarlet Witch mini (vol. 1)' by Mantlo and Leonardi (art is breathtaking).

It's definitely one of the more straight forward and simple origin for them. But they should have kept the estranged angle to their relationship.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Covetous_One View Post
    For me Wanda’s character has been some who is forgiving. What some people equate forgiving with is immediate trust which is something that should be earned. Trusting Magneto that should be a process that shows he changed his behavior permanently when interacting with her and not just a few simple words.
    I mean there is forgiving and there is "actually, muh dad did all those crap because he loved deeply".
    Everytime they wanted to show her as sentimental towards Mag, her brain literally got sucked out of her skull by some mysterious editorial force.

Quote Originally Posted by leokearon View Post
    I agree, The whole Magneto as their dad was more for Magneto's benefit thst the twins. The whole no longer mutants retcon is even worse, since it makes no sense.
    Yeah that's my problem with it. Is it's usually all about Magneto. And in the case of Wanda, she didn't have much to do with him, so it didn't really change anything. Him being the father was the retcon that felt tacked on.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by MaximoffTrash View Post
    I mean there is forgiving and there is "actually, muh dad did all those crap because he loved deeply".
    Everytime they wanted to show her as sentimental towards Mag, her brain literally got sucked out of her skull by some mysterious editorial force.
    Your not wrong and I don’t like how she gets infantilized, but I do feel like she would still be uncomfortable not because she hates him.
    “There is no defense against the Scarlet Witch's HEX!”

Extraordinary Member

She just needs to be portrayed as more professional to be honest.
    Like she should just call Magneto Erik, he is no longer a monster in her eyes, but he is also, well not her dad if we are to be honest.
    Wanda can have empathy for Erik's tragic past and support his reform, but I don't think she should act as his family because that's frankly not how it works? I guess she can still be a friend as an adult, but the editorial will constantly mentally deage her for a second childhood so Magneto can have a part in it for lost time's sake, I guess?

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

It should be noted forgiveness and tolerance around people who screw you over is just a general thing with superheroes.

Like how Iron Man and Captain Marvel can be in the same room together despite the latter once killing the former, or how Iron Man and Cap Marvel are still liked by the superhero community at all after the Civil War events.

So Wanda being fairly easy on Mags is pretty par for the course.

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

While I was a fan for the family for a long time and I still enjoy reading about them on their own, I am actually getting tired of the whole "Will they become a family now?, will Magneto turn? will he not? Will the twins keep hating him? etc because itīs pretty much a vicious circle at this point and itīs made worse by marvel trying to keep them linked by an adoption that never happened, just for their popularity but without adding anything of value to their relationship or undoing the retcon and this is made harder because they belong to different areas of the marvel universe so even if stories like childrenīs crusade built something, itīs quickly forgotten or left aside by other stories.

So as a Magneto fan I am more than ready to cut their losses, divorce them from each other and let Magneto explore the whole paternity issue with Lorna, his old students from the New Mutants or maybe another kid, lest bring back Anya for example or Charles from the AOA AU by belonging to the same side, in theory those aspects could be explored and actually advance instead of telling the same old story over and over again.

I know this isnīt going to happen but it would be honestly more interesting to me than reading about falling out number 100 Pietro, Wanda and Magneto are going to have this year or the next.

That said, on a more positive note I am quite happy right now with the way Orlando is writting Wanda and Pietro, the wizard isnīt my favorite villain but the story and the twins reflections about each other is new and interesting, hope to see them meet Tommy and maybe Billy and Luna in the next issues. I am also loving the way Magneto is getting back to life in ROM with Storm help after his awesome death, I am sad to see Ewing go but I hope next writer keeps Magnetoīs realizations post death. I just would have liked to see more Lorna as well.

So right now I am happy where those characters are and felt like their journey would be ruined by doing yet another story in which they meet and repeat everything, unless the writers are willing to tell something different with them this time.
    Last edited by Lucyinthesky; 04-08-2024 at 10:31 PM.
    "To the X-men then, who donīt die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    It should be noted forgiveness and tolerance around people who screw you over is just a general thing with superheroes.

Like how Iron Man and Captain Marvel can be in the same room together despite the latter once killing the former, or how Iron Man and Cap Marvel are still liked by the superhero community at all after the Civil War events.

While that is true, some of those examples also really feel out of place. It's like Marvel has the characters secretly mind-wiped or something.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

A teaser from Russel Dauterman

"This is me being reasonable"

I find the discussion of the RETCON, used as a a pejorative amusing. Sure, undoing Magneto as Wanda and Pietro’s bio-dad was a retcon. HOWEVER, it wasn’t the first one. For years (actually closer to two decades) Magneto was NOT their bio-dad. From the early 1960’s through the early 1980’s they were unrelated biologically. It was only in 1982, that someone over at Marvel decided to make them related by blood. THAT is the problematic retcon as far as I’m concerned. Undoing that silliness was something I was okay with. The problem, of course, is that they went too far, by stripping Wanda and Pietro of their mutanthood. We all know the real world reasons that was done so no need to elaborate. Bottom line, people can rage against the retcon all they want, but some of us feel that you’re raging against the wrong one.
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post

I mean few of them got reduced to some "uwu sweet child" after the fact.
    Did Carol and Tony date after the fact with one of being madly in love and totally compliant or something? Both of them are portrayed as understanding adults with agency.
    People are very conscious about female leads being reduced to love interests these days, but Wanda being infantilized to "familial interests" is equally damaging, but it's not romantic in nature and family fluff is cute and safe so I guess people turn a blind eye to that.
    What is the fundamental difference between "forced into the role of a dude's GF" and "forced into the role of a dude's child", very little I would say. Both are cases of characters being reduced to a supporting role at the cost of their own.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by ARkadelphia View Post
    I find the discussion of the RETCON, used as a a pejorative amusing. Sure, undoing Magneto as Wanda and Pietro’s bio-dad was a retcon. HOWEVER, it wasn’t the first one. For years (actually closer to two decades) Magneto was NOT their bio-dad. From the early 1960’s through the early 1980’s they were unrelated biologically. It was only in 1982, that someone over at Marvel decided to make them related by blood. THAT is the problematic retcon as far as I’m concerned. Undoing that silliness was something I was okay with. The problem, of course, is that they went too far, by stripping Wanda and Pietro of their mutanthood. We all know the real world reasons that was done so no need to elaborate. Bottom line, people can rage against the retcon all they want, but some of us feel that you’re raging against the wrong one.
    Nights of Wundagore along with the Magnet parent origin is the most widely accepted origin for the twins and I am completely cool with that.
    Also I prefer the Maximoffs being their foster and "real" family, it's a very good contrast with their biological origin.
    The issue is Marvel constantly trying to bend backwards to change that simple dynamic. And the AXIS retcon is also problemetic because Marvel backpeddled even harder and now Magneto is somehow an "adoptive father".
    Biological parenthood is not something you need to earn, so yeah, I am cool with that, but Magneto literally never raised the twins, so calling him "adoptive father" is just bizarre.
    Regardless, Wanda should never call him father or dad anyway, she should just stick with good old "Erik".

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Galerion View Post
    A teaser from Russel Dauterman

I wonder who is talking to her. Another Chaos Magic user?
    A primordial entity associated with chaos magic?

Quote Originally Posted by ARkadelphia View Post
    I have said it before and I'll say it again, the no longer mutant retcon doesn't make an ounce of sense. Just because Magneto isn't their dad anymore, that automatically makes them no longer mutants. How does that even work?

Extraordinary Member

Because they think mutants are a hereditary thing instead of you know, the offspring having random mutations.