Page 26 of 33 FirstFirst ... 16222324252627282930 ... LastLast
    Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

I liked a lot of what happened in Darker than Scarlet, but the implication of sexual assault was trash. His story could have been a game changer for Wanda, by making her one of the most powerful characters in the Marvel stable at that time.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

I wasn't a fan of Darker than Scarlet. The whole thing felt like Byrne writing a fetish.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Extraordinary Member

Byrne era WCA is not that bad because Wanda got picked up and fixed pretty fast.(Compared to the AD/HOM fallout anyway.)
    But also in retrospect, it's kinda the start of the snowballing that eventually led to AD/HOM.
    And judging from MoM, it might never actually stop, I just hope Wanda runs fast enough to not get crushed again.

Quote Originally Posted by MaximoffTrash View Post
    Byrne era WCA is not that bad because Wanda got picked up and fixed pretty fast.(Compared to the AD/HOM fallout anyway.)
    But also in retrospect, it's kinda the start of the snowballing that eventually led to AD/HOM.
    And judging from MoM, it might never actually stop, I just hope Wanda runs fast enough to not get crushed again.
    That's another problem I have with it is that it inspired Bendis to do what he did.

Byrne's WCA was awful. He did it to destroy Wanda and Vision's marriage. The awful Dark Phoenix homage, the oral rape of Simon, Vision becoming a soulless machine. Also of it terrible. The fact hat Bendis was inspired by this makes it even worse.

Quote Originally Posted by leokearon View Post
    Byrne's WCA was awful. He did it to destroy Wanda and Vision's marriage. The awful Dark Phoenix homage, the oral rape of Simon, Vision becoming a soulless machine. Also of it terrible. The fact hat Bendis was inspired by this makes it even worse.
    It was like trash tv in written form.

Quote Originally Posted by leokearon View Post
    Definitely. I also agree with GenericUsername - it feels like a Byrne fetish. Btw when I found the info on his intended storyline one article actually had images he had drawn of Wanda topless, so yes fetish. It inspired Bendis, because they obviously he couldn't create an actually creative storyline. He had to rip off from this trash.

I will say I actually felt ToM gave closure to this and makes it a bit harder to keep this type of thing going. It really would seem super creepy and misogynistic of someone to do that at this point, plus Marvel got bad press for it right after HoM and even more post MoM. They might realize it's a downhill slope for them at this point in terms of backlash.
    Last edited by Cubbyboo; 04-11-2024 at 12:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    It was like trash tv in written form.
    But even trashier

I wasn't a fan of Darker than Scarlet. The whole thing felt like Byrne writing a fetish.
    Yeah, clearly was trying to live out some freaky Evil Wanda fantasy

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

It’s something of a common theme for him. He did it with Claremont with Phoenix, he did it with Sue in his FF run.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

Quote Originally Posted by Cubbyboo View Post
    Definitely. I also agree with generic username - it feels like a Byrne fetish. Btw when I found the info on his intended storyline one article actually had images he had drawn of Wanda topless, so yes fetish..
    Oh gross. Even worse than imagined.

Oh gross. Even worse than imagined.
    Sorry about your username being wrong - I typed it correctly but it got spellchecked and I didn't catch it on my commute to Valencia.

Also CBR actually posted this article. don't these people read or research first? Wanda didn't get her abilities from the HE experiments. She already was magical and a witch biologically (!?!) the HE just augmented her abilities with the probability factor I guess? Or else opened new doors in the magical realm that her already very powerful abilities accessed, which I like better.

https://www.cbr.com/scarlet-witch-qu...r-not-mutants/
    Last edited by Cubbyboo; 04-11-2024 at 12:49 PM.

Extraordinary Member

IMO, the HE experiement is just meant as a replacement for her mutant power/genes, Wanda always has part of her power based on her genetics(the "science" part of her power).

Quote Originally Posted by Cubbyboo View Post
    Sorry about your username being wrong - I typed it correctly but it got spellchecked and I didn't catch it on my commute to Valencia.

Also CBR actually posted this article. don't these people read or research first? Wanda didn't get her abilities from the HE experiments. She already was magical and a witch biologically (!?!) the HE just augmented her abilities with the probability factor I guess? Or else opened new doors in the magical realm that her already very powerful abilities accessed, which I like better.

https://www.cbr.com/scarlet-witch-qu...r-not-mutants/
    That's ok. It's not the one I wanted. I'd change it to Curlytop if I could.

Interesting article! Thanks for the link. It always helps to know this stuff that they leave off panel.

Quote Originally Posted by MaximoffTrash View Post
    IMO, the HE experiement is just meant as a replacement for her mutant power/genes, Wanda always has part of her power based on her genetics(the "science" part of her power).
    Now that's interesting!!!! Like I said earlier, the Sentinels, That Which Endures, and even Immortus recognized her as a mutant. It's such a part of her history and that actually works so well to tie it all together.