Page 20 of 34 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Thanks for your comments, Wiccan and Cubbyboo. A lot for me to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    Which is the best gesture look for summoning an orb.
    Ah Hex Sphere conjuring appreciation...

Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

A reminder for the next few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    They’re never going to recast the part, especially since the MCU probably is closer to downsizing. Olsen is the only Scarlet Witch we’re ever getting, and I hope she isn’t aware of the online hate she gets (which probably isn’t noticed by many people yet).

I try not to argue with people who are disappointed about her Romani heritage not being part of the MCU version, because I’m not Romani. (I’m Jewish and I hate the Holocaust survivor retcon for Magneto, but I understand many Jewish readers feel differently.)

But a lot of the “whitewashing” talk online (not here) is based on making it sound like the character has always been Romani and it was always an important part of her background that the MCU ignored. When it was just a racist “magic” backstory that never became important at all until George Perez gave her that costume in 1998. When Wanda was cast in the MCU, the idea that she wasn’t white was almost pure headcanon.

So I feel like when the comics bow to pressure from the anti-whitewashing campaign or people who ganged up on an artist for making Wanda look like Elizabeth Olsen, they’re trying to please people who want to get rid of the MCU version, the only remotely comic accurate Wanda we ever got in an adaptation and the only reason she’s getting so many comics now. It feels like they’re trying to tear down the character.

Most of the time I just find it funny that her comic is trying to appeal to both MCU fans (without whom she’d be canceled long ago) and fans who think the MCU version is a whitewashed Nazi. But sometimes I just get depressed at the anti-Olsen campaigns & probably will be until the MCU version comes back.
    I don't know if she'll be the only one. At some point they'll likely reboot everything.

People know that her being Romani was established in the 70s. She didn't really have anything said about her ethnicity before then though.

I don't think people are trying to tear down the character. A lot of them seem genuinely fans of the character, just not of the MCU portrayal. I was ok with the MCU portrayal, until they ruined the character like in comics. And I was ok because I know they are never gonna cast Romani actors to play Romani people. There's only one example I can think of where they actually did that in all the decades of cinema and TV. Hollywood just loves their white actors too much. But I did like that it brought comics Wanda some popularity. It's good that the comics aren't ignoring her ethnicity either.

I don't think the MCU version is coming back. It's just been quiet for too long. And all the scoops talking about Avengers 4 and stuff don't seem to mention her at all. Olsen seems to have moved on.
    Last edited by GenericUsername; 03-30-2024 at 11:36 PM.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by Cubbyboo View Post
    It's very possible that they are waiting to formally introduce a "team X" movie for a few years at least, due to the fact that the whole MCU may get reset when they do. If that happens Wanda will def be a part of it.

Otherwise Elizabeth's performance helped bring Wanda back from obscurity and against all odds made her WW level popular and a household name. One person at my comic shop actually said most people know WW only as her hero name but Wanda is known by both monikers equally. I'll always be grateful that we have her full time now no matter what. I'm fine with her bring darker in the comics, as she should be- she's quite beautiful with her darker skin tone. In the MCU I'll be just as happy to watch Elizabeth for as long as she portrays on the screen, because thanks to her and Jac Schaefer we now have Wanda as a superstar in both mediums.
    They'd be crazy to not have Wanda as a part of the rebooted universe. I think they know now that she is well liked.

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    I don't know if she'll be the only one. At some point they'll likely reboot everything.

People know that her being Romani was established in the 70s. She didn't really have anything said about her ethnicity before then though.

I don't think people are trying to tear down the character. A lot of them seem genuinely fans of the character, just not of the MCU portrayal. I was ok with the MCU portrayal, until they ruined the character like in comics. And I was ok because I know they are never gonna cast Romani actors to play Romani people. There's only one example I can think of where they actually did that in all the decades of cinema and TV. Hollywood just loves their white actors too much. But I did like that it brought comics Wanda some popularity. It's good that the comics aren't ignoring her ethnicity either.

I don't think the MCU version is coming back. It's just been quiet for too long. And all the scoops talking about Avengers 4 and stuff don't seem to mention her at all. Olsen seems to have moved on.
    Everything will probably be rebooted after Secret Wars, so we will get a new Wanda

Extraordinary Member

I just want a high production value Avengers animation with Wanda as a one of the main characters, preferably a brand new one with an overreaching arc of "rookie to veteran Avenger" for her. (Continuing EMH would be nice but I don't want Wanda to be a later addition and an afterthought.) Hopefully things like X-Men 97 and Invincible revived the market enough.
    MCU style live action universe takes forever to see some characters again, and MCU Wanda feels like a logistical nightmare to use again. I do think there are ways to efficiently and coherently continue her arc, but that won't the path Disney/Marvel would choose.
    Last edited by MaximoffTrash; 03-31-2024 at 06:48 AM.

I am surprised that they haven't done another Avengers cartoon yet.

Quote Originally Posted by MaximoffTrash View Post
    I just want a high production value Avengers animation with Wanda as a one of the main characters, preferably a brand new one with an overreaching arc of "rookie to veteran Avenger" for her. (Continuing EMH would be nice but I don't want Wanda to be a later addition and an afterthought.) Hopefully things like X-Men 97 and Invincible revived the market enough.
    MCU style live action universe takes forever to see some characters again, and MCU Wanda feels like a logistical nightmare to use again. I do think there are ways to efficiently and coherently continue her arc, but that won't the path Disney/Marvel would choose.
    Yeah a new Avengers character with decent writing and no links to the MCU would be great to see

At this point do we think they'll ever restore the twins as mutants and the children of Magneto?

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    At this point do we think they'll ever restore the twins as mutants and the children of Magneto?
    They effectively have ignored the retcon in most mega used games that aren’t pure MCU tie ins. They are probably going to include them in their current animated X-Men series for an ep or two at least as his kids. And, they are more then happy selling family trades and omnis making a mint.

Link

Once they ended ban on them interacting in the comics after the Fox buy out it was only a matter of time. The hold up is due to Marvel wanting their MCU backstory for Wanda and their comic backstory to entirely line up. I think they are thinking about a new backstory for MCU Wanda that connects her to mutantdom.

They just haven’t settled on what exactly it’s going to be as yet and that has created a continuity limbo which has mildly held back Wanda and majorly held back Pietro. The whole the MCU decides comic canon notion holds back the comic storytelling in general.
    Last edited by jmc247; 04-01-2024 at 09:03 AM.

Extraordinary Member

I care more about them being restored as mutants than children of Magneto -- them being mutants was a part of their history from the very beginning, and it's also an important part of Avengers history that those were their two longest-serving mutant members.

Unfortunately while the comics now treat them as Magneto's children in all but biology (which is better than doing yet another parental retcon) they don't treat them as mutants. Maybe that will change now that Brevoort, who also had Franklin Richards retconned into a non-mutant, is over on the mutant side of things. But probably not.

I won't mind them being mutants again, especially as it is easy to retcon it back. Them Magento's kid, I hope never gets undone. It never benefited Wanda.

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    I care more about them being restored as mutants than children of Magneto -- them being mutants was a part of their history from the very beginning, and it's also an important part of Avengers history that those were their two longest-serving mutant members.

Unfortunately while the comics now treat them as Magneto's children in all but biology (which is better than doing yet another parental retcon) they don't treat them as mutants. Maybe that will change now that Brevoort, who also had Franklin Richards retconned into a non-mutant, is over on the mutant side of things. But probably not.
    It feels like they are waiting on a shoe to drop before banking in on the family angle among the general public. I am talking outside of comic fans and casual readers whose wallets they have been tapping.

That shoe might be TAS97 dealing with it or something else. I am fairly sure they will be dealing with it on TAS97 and Marvel is going to do something for next year in the comics which is the HoM’s 20th. Not sure what yet. Given they are employing Christos Gage again it might just be another mini or something else entirely.
    Last edited by jmc247; 04-01-2024 at 12:21 PM.

I still feel like being a mutant only matters much to Pietro. Wanda already has a source for her powers.