Page 22 of 36 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    It has interesting repercussions for Wanda and Pietro (who audiences saw today) and their public persona for the masses.

They have very limited appearance in the original animation, I seriously doubt the portrayal will affect their status in comics or other adaptions.
    Also I doubt the "masses" care all that much about that, they pick that topic up off some twitter debates and thought it's important while it's really not.

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    It has interesting repercussions for Wanda and Pietro (who audiences saw today) and their public persona for the masses.

That's kind of misleading since it's just a poster that immediately gets destroyed. A blink and you miss it sort of moment. I think that the masses are already familiar with them from the movies. They probably won't become more famous from a Disney+ series. From what I've seen their sub numbers weren't doing so hot.
    Last edited by GenericUsername; 04-03-2024 at 09:55 PM.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by leokearon View Post
    Exactly, he's not their adoptive father, he's a fraud.
    He thinks of her as his daughter and behaves thus, She thinks of him as a father and behaves thus. Where's the fraud?
    The lack of legal documents?
    Feels more like an allegory for queer/outsiders finding their "chosen" families as they mature. Family is more than blood relations.
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    He thinks of her as his daughter and behaves thus, She thinks of him as a father and behaves thus. Where's the fraud?
    Feels more like an allegory for queer/outsiders finding their "chosen" families as they mature. Family is more than blood relations.
    Clearly you decided to leave out the part of my post where I explained how he was a fraud. He never adopted them, he claimed to be their dad with no proof and everyone (stupidly) took it at face value. Their adoptive father is Django Maximoff (who is also their uncle). The same thing happened with the Whizzer.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    Literally any of the Avengers Wanda spent time time has a better claim to be her family.
    Wanda has a entire found family theme going for her, and it doesn't really involve Magneto.
    And the whole queer/outsider angle is fucking weird because Magneto for all intents and purposes is just a shitty ex-boss.

The fraud part is Wanda's brain just conveniently melts so she can act like a needy teenage girl. At this point why not make Wanda shake hands with Chthon as well, oh great chaos lord, you might harbor the desire to claim Earth for your own, but surely you must hold secret affection for me as your creation and child? At least Wanda x Chthon would be hilarious.

Seriously, just make her practice some healthy apathy or something.
    Last edited by MaximoffTrash; 04-04-2024 at 10:35 AM.

Clearly you decided to leave out the part of my post where I explained how he was a fraud. He never adopted them, he claimed to be their dad with no proof and everyone (stupidly) took it at face value. Their adoptive father is Django Maximoff (who is also their uncle). The same thing happened with the Whizzer.
    So I get it. Some people like them as thinking of themselves as family and some people REALLY do not. Wanda is now portrayed as feeling he is her adoptive father emotionally. Despite their VERY -yes I've read it all- tumultuous past, Marvel is presenting it as Wanda has managed to work past it and probably at Magneto's plea and apologies forged a relationship with him. It would have been nice to see him admit how he fell way short in managing a loving relationship (without manipulation and trauma) but we didn't get that. However I do see people going at it time and again on wether they like or don't like Wanda viewing him as her dad and all I can think is, well, we all really just need to respect each other's opinions.

Of course it's okay to say your view on it but if I was a fan of their current relationship I'd be anxiety ridden to post that here. Just saying. Personally I'm fine either way, as I like the current state to which Magneto has matured. It would have been nice to see them hash it out to keep some continuity, however if we are talking about ignoring continuity -guys and gals- I'll take this continuity ignore over what Bendis did to her with his continuity delete. Magneto is popular and it seems that is playing well for Wanda now. She has become a household name (definitely not because of Magneto so please don't read that into it) and Marvel doesn't seem to want to have them at odds soni guess it is what it is, but we should let others feel it's okay to say they like or do not like the relationship without any fear of feeling smacked down for it. Mentioning both sides here and just saying Wanda is Uber Popular now and loved by fans and media. I'll take that any day over the post Bendis Bomb
    I had been feeling that Marvel may be addicted to the OP female can't handle power trope but after seeing the end of episode 3 for X-Men 97 and the way another of my fave characters came out okay in the end and made a healthy choice to move on, I've got a bit of hope that Marvel may be seeing the light. Did I LOVE the episode? It was okay.. decent I guess. Madelyne looked great and her hair way the way Jean should have it imho, but the end was pretty satisfying compared to the conclusion I was certain would befall the Goblin Queen.
    Last edited by Cubbyboo; 04-04-2024 at 10:53 AM.

Nope. My post responds to that. Magnus CLEARLY says you're my daughter. Wanda says you're my father. DONE.
    What else do you need?
    Human adoption proceedings? Custody battle with Django?

Quote Originally Posted by Cubbyboo View Post
    So I get it. Some people like them as thinking of themselves as family and some people REALLY do not. Wanda is now portrayed as feeling he is her adoptive father emotionally. Despite their VERY -yes I've read it all- tumultuous past, Marvel is presenting it as Wanda has managed to work past it and probably at Magneto's plea and apologies forged a relationship with him. It would have been nice to see him admit how he fell way short in managing a loving relationship (without manipulation and trauma) but we didn't get that. However I do see people going at it time and again on wether they like or don't like Wanda viewing him as her dad and all I can think is, well, we all really just need to respect each other's opinions.
    You can like it, you can NOT like it. Its just there.
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

Wanda passively accepting Mags after all he's put the twins through was one of the most OOC things.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cubbyboo View Post

Of course it's okay to say your view on it but if I was a fan of their current relationship I'd be anxiety ridden to post that here. Just saying. Personally I'm fine either way, as I like the current state to which Magneto has matured. It would have been nice to see them hash it out to keep some continuity, however if we are talking about ignoring continuity -guys and gals- I'll take this continuity ignore over what Bendis did to her with his continuity delete. Magneto is popular and it seems that is playing well for Wanda now. She has become a household name (definitely not because of Magneto so please don't read that into it) and Marvel doesn't seem to want to have them at odds soni guess it is what it is, but we should let others feel it's okay to say they like or do not like the relationship without any fear of feeling smacked down for it. Mentioning both sides here and just saying Wanda is Uber Popular now and loved by fans and media. I'll take that any day over the post Bendis Bomb
    I had been feeling that Marvel may be addicted to the OP female can't handle power trope but after seeing the end of episode 3 for X-Men 97 and the way another of my fave characters came out okay in the end and made a healthy choice to move on, I've got a bit of hope that Marvel may be seeing the light. Did I LOVE the episode? It was okay.. decent I guess. Madelyne looked great and her hair way the way Jean should have it imho, but the end was pretty satisfying compared to the conclusion I was certain would befall the Goblin Queen.
    It has nothing to do with Bendis though, if anything Bendis is the one who pretend they are a family in the first place by making Cap surrending Wanda to Magneto. Their relationship improved after AD/HOM because duh, Wanda was a ther lowest point and they can easily let Mag play nice dad for a while. Wanda's vulnerable position in relation to X-Men is precisely what causes bunch of cringey writing later in Empyre tie-in and ToM. It is more than just the fact that "Magneto didn't make up for it", pretty sure we won't mind it as much if she is not written like an idiotic and infantalized girl that behaves way younger and less immature than she actually is just so she can play the role of "sweet cute daughter".

I hoped it would just be a temporary thing she had to endure, but now she constantly refer to him as her adoptive dad and Marvel kept melt her brain for family fluff, my wish at this point is just complete isolation and separation at this point.

And really I guess I can respect others' opinion, but the fact is I don't want Wanda portrayed that way, so it's a direct conflictof interests and I don't think that can be reconciled. So I just hope they can restore theit biological ties and drop the forced found family angle which is opposite of what they are.
    Last edited by MaximoffTrash; 04-04-2024 at 04:30 PM.

I thought Children's Crusade was able to portray a good relationship between Wanda and Magneto while also having good characterization for her.

Unfortunately with how she reacted at finding out she's not his (biological) daughter their current relationship doesn't really make sense. My headcanon to make sense of their Gala meeting is that she appreciated how he still was on her side when mutants on krakoa were calling her the pretender and talking about her like a boogeyman.

Extraordinary Member

Yeah, like a lot of the "Pretender" thing, there was potential there but we never saw it happen (isn't that so often, with Wanda, in every medium?). That scene with Magneto where he calls her his daughter was the first time we had actually seen her react to the Pretender label at all. It was one of those things Hickman set up and probably planned to get back to in a few years, why not, it's not like he's going to leave the book early or anything.

You can certainly argue, based on Magneto sticking his neck out for her in "Children's Crusade" and then again in the Krakoa era, that she and Pietro would see him in a better light. But we have to do most of the work of imagining that.

Extraordinary Member

I mean none of those should constitute to her demeanor in ToM, she can be forgiving and understanding and all that, but she should not act like a shy maiden hiding behind her dad or something. Maybe it's just Leah's fanfic brain taking over, I feel like a lot of issues come from some weird cultural expectation for young daughters in media, they are supposed to be soft emotional support plushies for the broken old men.

Like can you imagine an uwu softboy Pietro even if he becomes totally cool with Magneto?(Like even "emotional supportive sons" are expected to beat some sense into the old men from time to time)
    Last edited by MaximoffTrash; 04-04-2024 at 10:03 PM.

I’ll just leave this here for reference purposes…

IMG_0653.jpg
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

There is apparently some new Marvel x Coca Cola collaboration going on but I haven't seen anything of the sort here in Germany yet so it might be region specific.

Here is also some art from Sweeney Boo
    https://twitter.com/Sweeney_Boo/stat...63587549282570

"This is me being reasonable"

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Galerion View Post
    There is apparently some new Marvel x Coca Cola collaboration going on but I haven't seen anything of the sort here in Germany yet so it might be region specific.

Here is also some art from Sweeney Boo
    https://twitter.com/Sweeney_Boo/stat...63587549282570

The face kinda reminds me of some art in Invincible comics.