Page 21 of 33 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast

I find the twins treating Magneto like a father just jarring and out of character. They learned to grudgingly accept him at all because of their blood ties. That was what held them together tenuously. Without that blood tie, I can't believe the bond would hold. Their prior history was just too ugly to make me believe they had family feelings.
    It was a terrible storytelling decision based on movie rights, not organic storytelling, and they all lost something in the potential of their characters and connections.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Its very evident just how much writers dislike the retcon. Pretty much anytime the characters are brought up, the change is summarily ignored and they still act the same as ever before the retconned occurred.

Its rather hilarious how much its clearly despised by the writers and they all probably wish they could change it if they could.

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    I find the twins treating Magneto like a father just jarring and out of character. They learned to grudgingly accept him at all because of their blood ties. That was what held them together tenuously. Without that blood tie, I can't believe the bond would hold. Their prior history was just too ugly to make me believe they had family feelings.
    It was a terrible storytelling decision based on movie rights, not organic storytelling, and they all lost something in the potential of their characters and connections.
    Yeah seeing Wanda go on about Daddy Magneto makes me sick.

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    Dark Seduction was really the last storyline to operate on the old school 80s-90s framework for their relations.

What happened was complicated, but Magneto did not go back to being the militant mutant messiah leader for the next two decades. Then came Avengers Disassembled and suddenly Wanda became akin to Anya for Magneto and their entire relationship changed. It felt like they were building to a new equilibrium by Children's Crusade, but yes the movie rights fight led to the rug being pulled out from under everything.

After the buyout it seems as though the MCU itself wants to maintain the retcon as long as it's using Wanda and hasn't figured out how exactly they will tie their Wanda to mutants if at all. Once the films are done with their Wanda, I expect the retcon to fully revert in the comics as it will if they decide to connect her to mutants in the films.

But, the insistence on maintaining the retcon for now created a headache for writers. How to tie the characters together while they are not on paper related. The current status quo really only works on the basis of decades of House of M memories, because there wasn't enough good times between them to justify it otherwise.

Certainly not for Lorna and Wanda who in 2004 were only starting to see each other as sisters, basically in terms of headcanon one has to rely on the memories of a universe that never happened. In Son of M it was shown Pietro remembers everything.

I do think something akin to Wanda and Magneto's Dark Seduction and earlier relationship will return. But, it won't until Magneto has returned to militancy and the parentage issue has been reversed.
    Last edited by jmc247; 04-02-2024 at 08:51 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Again their relationship always has been somewhat inconsistent, the kids are kinda just Magneto's overall sympathy meter.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    Its very evident just how much writers dislike the retcon. Pretty much anytime the characters are brought up, the change is summarily ignored and they still act the same as ever before the retconned occurred.

Its rather hilarious how much its clearly despised by the writers and they all probably wish they could change it if they could.
    I, for one, am kinda bothered by how some writers obsess over trivial **** like this.
    And Orlando is willing to constantly slap the word "adoptive father" on Magneto even thought it makes no bloody sense what so ever and constantly ignore their actual adoptive father.
    They either need to undo the retcon and stop pretending they have anything deeper than a bloodtie or they should go full in and severe absolutely everything to end the half-assed cringe.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    A reminder for the next few weeks.

Why are people worried over Wanda in an X-Men show of all places, it's not like she mattered there.
    And I hope she never shows up there, unless she became an Avenger offscreen or something.

Quote Originally Posted by MaximoffTrash View Post
    Why are people worried over Wanda in an X-Men show of all places, it's not like she mattered there.
    And I hope she never shows up there, unless she became an Avenger offscreen or something.
    It was due to the whole retcon. People were wondering if the retcon affected Wanda in the XTAS and are hoping she appears (even though she only turned up once)

I, for one, am kinda bothered by how some writers obsess over trivial **** like this.
    And Orlando is willing to constantly slap the word "adoptive father" on Magneto even thought it makes no bloody sense what so ever and constantly ignore their actual adoptive father.
    They either need to undo the retcon and stop pretending they have anything deeper than a bloodtie or they should go full in and severe absolutely everything to end the half-assed cringe.
    Exactly, he's not their adoptive father, he's a fraud. He never adopted them, he claimed to be their dad with no proof and everyone (stupidly) took it at face value. Their adoptive father is Django Maximoff (who is also their uncle).

Extraordinary Member

Honestly I hope Scarlet Witch& Quicksilver mini ends with them visiting Marya or something. Kinda weird that she is left out in those "family reunion" shots.
    It's partially Robinson's fault to put her in the middle of nowhere, I wouldn't be bothered as much if she was living with a functional community again and had new friends and family to look after her.
    I couldn't help but think Wanda is just amnesiac again.
    Last edited by MaximoffTrash; 04-03-2024 at 02:30 AM.

Honestly I hope Scarlet Witch& Quicksilver mini ends with them visiting Marya or something. Kinda weird that she is left out in those "family reunion" shots.
    It's partially Robinson's fault to put her in the middle of nowhere, I wouldn't be bothered as much if she was living with a functional community again and had new friends and family to look after her.
    I couldn't help but think Wanda is just amnesiac again.
    Yeah, they did to visit their aunt and adoptive mother

Marya should definitely get some more panel time. The Maximoffs need time with their real blood family.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

It has interesting repercussions for Wanda and Pietro (who audiences saw today) and their public persona for the masses.

Lovely as well as the one from P. Craig Russell

"This is me being reasonable"