Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920 LastLast

Imperius wowza

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    WOW!!!!!!!!!

Gorgeous! Stunning! So much detail.
    Yeah! The artist used Art Deco as inspiration for the throne, and Iris Van Herpen for Dorma's dress!
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

Dorma getting resurrected somehow - cloned maybe? - would open up a lot of interesting story possibilities.

Does anyone know why Namor's Epic Collection (Marvel Age) has volume 1, volume 3 and volume 4 but does not have volume 2.

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    Dorma getting resurrected somehow - cloned maybe? - would open up a lot of interesting story possibilities.
    But that was done before, and I guess undone?

If we don't want science solutions; multiverse dopplegangers etc. Perhaps magic.
    We've had only a taste of Atlantean magic and such.

If you want me to believe that ancient peoples who worships Roman deities live 20,000 fathoms or whatever under the seas,

then you have to let me see this ancient culture as both scientific and magical.
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

We've had cloned Dorma, Alternate Universe Dorma, but neither one stayed long. Buseik set up Dorma's return in King in Black: Namor #5 via a magical connection to the stone, and he even said that he wasn't going to be able to see Dorma coming back all the way through but that he left it open for the Editors and other writers to pick it up. TBH it's great news if Dorma comes back in the comics because then Namor would be able to actually have stories that focus in Atlantis and rebuild his supporting cast, with Dorma as his leading lady.

dorma1.jpg

dorma2.jpg

Last edited by ImperiusWrecked; 04-26-2024 at 01:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    We've had cloned Dorma, Alternate Universe Dorma, but neither one stayed long. Buseik set up Dorma's return in King in Black: Namor #5 via a magical connection to the stone, and he even said that he wasn't going to be able to see Dorma coming back all the way through but that he left it open for the Editors and other writers to pick it up. TBH it's great news if Dorma comes back in the comics because then Namor would be able to actually have stories that focus in Atlantis and rebuild his supporting cast, with Dorma as his leading lady.

dorma1.jpg

dorma2.jpg

I remember this picture and these conversations. I bought that mini King in Black.

A part of me would love to see Atlantean court intrigue and stories, but it doesn't have to be Dorma.

Merely the will to write, create a long game of a story.

But another part of me feels that Namor's original intent and creation was for him to be, like Superman

a strange visitor from another world.
    A fish, flying as it were, out of water.

Really Namor could be all these things, and possibly was up until a certain point.

We may all have our theories or feelings but to me

The DCU Aquaman is / has to be a big part of Namor being forgotten. And don't regale me with all that "but he was first, blah blah blah". At 68 + I know most of this like the back of my hand.
    I've been here all along, or mostly.
    My favorite era for Namor was the '60s and '70s.
    Most since then tends to be trying to recreate or refashion the previous.

I truly do not know the answers.
    I will always say that symbolically there is a lot to the idea of mostly one human who get's Namor - and that is what I see - not him being used by said human.

Namor as the person who doesn't quite fit in, is not a bad story.

Comic book characters never grow old, sang Elton John.
    When they debut/begin, there is an imprint kind of thing, for me. The way Namor is originally seen and experience by me, has a lot more to do with how I see and understand him, than the various stories over these decades, trying to make him something different.

I liked about 50 % of the John Byrne era. If he can't have undersea stories and we want Sue thrown out of the airlock

why can't he take up with someone else, other than the X-Men (never felt like he fit in there, frankly)

Post Invaders folks even?
    Although I don't comment often, I always read this thread. Thanks.
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

Quote Originally Posted by Felipe Silveira View Post
    Does anyone know why Namor's Epic Collection (Marvel Age) has volume 1, volume 3 and volume 4 but does not have volume 2.
    I thought for sure you're mistaken bc there was a epic collection released in 2023 and one that's supposed to he released in August 2024, but no you're right. There vol 1, 3 in 2023, and 4 coming out this year. What happened to 2? Has anyone seen any news?

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    I remember this picture and these conversations. I bought that mini King in Black.

A part of me would love to see Atlantean court intrigue and stories, but it doesn't have to be Dorma.

Merely the will to write, create a long game of a story.

But another part of me feels that Namor's original intent and creation was for him to be, like Superman

a strange visitor from another world.
    A fish, flying as it were, out of water.

Really Namor could be all these things, and possibly was up until a certain point.

We may all have our theories or feelings but to me

The DCU Aquaman is / has to be a big part of Namor being forgotten. And don't regale me with all that "but he was first, blah blah blah". At 68 + I know most of this like the back of my hand.
    I've been here all along, or mostly.
    My favorite era for Namor was the '60s and '70s.
    Most since then tends to be trying to recreate or refashion the previous.

I truly do not know the answers.
    I will always say that symbolically there is a lot to the idea of mostly one human who get's Namor - and that is what I see - not him being used by said human.

Namor as the person who doesn't quite fit in, is not a bad story.

Comic book characters never grow old, sang Elton John.
    When they debut/begin, there is an imprint kind of thing, for me. The way Namor is originally seen and experience by me, has a lot more to do with how I see and understand him, than the various stories over these decades, trying to make him something different.

I liked about 50 % of the John Byrne era. If he can't have undersea stories and we want Sue thrown out of the airlock

why can't he take up with someone else, other than the X-Men (never felt like he fit in there, frankly)

Post Invaders folks even?
    Although I don't comment often, I always read this thread. Thanks.
    I know DC's Aquaman has a lot to do with Namor being forgotten but I often reiterate Namor is first bc I got tired of conversations that centered around how much better/cooler Aquaman is, and wanted people to know that Aquaman took many of Namor's elements and still does to this day.

It's great you've been a fan for a long time. I'll probably still be on forums and stuff when I'm older too bc I love the character a lot.

Imo Namor is past Superman now, he embodies a different space from his early origins,yes we could get stories of Namors early years, the 40s/50s his introduction to humans and learning to live or get along with them while being a "Fish out of Water" but it doesn't work for modern namor. Now he's too knowledgeable about the world. I do love the way young vs current Namor in Avengers/Invaders was depicted. However Namor's inability to find a place to fit in works both above and below the ocean in the hands of a good writer.

Why not Dorma? Like no offense or anything, but Dorma is the only female love interest that has had a significant long lasting impact on Namor throughout the decades even after her death. Namor was mourning her, he was thinking of her during Defenders, he referred to her as his lost true love, even in the F4 comic where Ben Grimm was supposed to get married but backed out they show Dorma in the art alongside characters like Betty Ross (hulk) and Gwen Stacy (spider-man), and both those characters have been reused and referenced and brought back to life or whatever. So again, while I love Namor's other romances, Marrina, Abira, Betty, even his courtship with Carrie Alexander, none of those other romances has the staying power and significance Dorma has.

Setting aside romance, just having Dorma back as a character in her own right would totally open up doors, to magic, to atlantean politics. She's a Lady of the Court, she had to deal with scheming nobles, and she is the people's princess, they would follow her into battle when she called for it. She has the heart of Atlantis in a way Namor never did and he recognized that when he asked her to marry him bc he needed someone to rule beside him or while he was away. But anyways Dorma is a fascinating and compelling character who sadly was bogged down by limiting writing in the 60s/70s, her characterization was very oriented around loving Namor, so seeing her grow into her own in King in Black shows the potential she has. Anyways I'd love if a new character came along that makes a story great/is a new love interest for Namor but in all reality that won't happen, none of the other new romances lasted.

Either way Namor getting focus in stories is important and hopefully we won't suffer too much under Aaron's writing.

Indeed. Truly a sad ending, hope it gets reversed someday...

"Good-bye. Good luck. Good riddance."

Sharing more art comms, this was for the namor week prompt: tattoos, so I commissioned Pointdotzao for a Talokan & Atlantis Namor inspired tattoos

Namor Week prompt of today is Friends/Allies or Enemies, I commisioned a couple more arts!

Frienemies featuring Doctor Doom & Namor by Rikebe

Allies or Enemies featuring Tony Stark & Namor by Ekftff, this was inspired by Doombot posting that Mad Men pic XD

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Namor Week prompt of today is Friends/Allies or Enemies, I commisioned a couple more arts!

Frienemies featuring Doctor Doom & Namor by Rikebe

Allies or Enemies featuring Tony Stark & Namor by Ekftff, this was inspired by Doombot posting that Mad Men pic XD

What a pretty Namor ... as he should be.

Both of those are hilarious!
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Sharing more art comms, this was for the namor week prompt: tattoos, so I commissioned Pointdotzao for a Talokan & Atlantis Namor inspired tattoos

Wow. This would indeed make striking tattoos! Are you going to get one?
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Felipe Silveira View Post
    I thought for sure you're mistaken bc there was a epic collection released in 2023 and one that's supposed to he released in August 2024, but no you're right. There vol 1, 3 in 2023, and 4 coming out this year. What happened to 2? Has anyone seen any news?
    Epic Collections do not print in order. One of the pluses and minuses of the Epic Collections is that they try to put out volumes for issues that haven't been collected, or out of print, or rarely been collected. So, any Epic Collection will have holes in the run, as they jump around in volume number to cover gaps in previous collection publication. Usually, the first volume will come out, despite those issues almost always having been published / being available. Not sure why, but probably to suck people into buying, thinking they can start from the beginning and read all the way through.

Anyway, Epic Collection Subby vol. 2 looks like it will cover most of the Tales to Astonish run and the first couple of issues of the 68 Subby run. Those issues have been printed a few times, both in hardcover and paperback as Marvel Masterworks vol 1 and 2, and the digest size Mighty Marvel Masterworks Subby vol. 1 -- which is probably why it wasn't printed next. Epic Collection Subby vol. 3 covers issues that have only been printed / collected in the out of print hardcover Marvel Masterworks Subby. Honestly, I'm surprised they are doing these early volumes, instead of jumping ahead and finishing off the 90s run, cause there's some issues that have never been collected in that run. Granted, the 68 run is much better written and more expensive to buy as back issues, so it probably has more demand.

As for when Epic Collection Subby vol 2 will be published ... I wouldn't be surprised if it were after they finished the 68 Subby run... which might be after Epic Collection Subby vol. 5? I think -- at least 3 years.