Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Doombot View Post
    Earlier I suggested that it'd be great if the Human Torch allowed Namor and the scientists of Atlantis to examine and perhaps rebuild his synthetic body, teaching Jim himself how to do so as well. I can think of very few places or peoples in the MU that could understand what Horton did in order to help Jim.

As for space, there always the return of the Virago the She-Beast and her people (Zephyrs?) as well as Tamara Rahn and the Banari. Both of those aquatic races have had less than stellar appearances and the potential is there to fix them.

Everyone on Earth seems to have their own spaceships, so why the Atlanteans don't is beyond me. I suppose it's because to human writers, the oceans already seems so otherworldly that it really doesn't naturally lend itself to having Atlanteans in space. It also comes back to Atlantis being in a perpetual state of seeming civilizational schizophrenia, never being able to decide if they're super advanced technological powerhouses or more medieval or even tribal with spears and swords and kelp farming villagers. I would love to see Namor and Atlantis in some water filled spaceship heading to some unknown oceanic moon to investigate, whatever, a new race, a new villain, some scifi comic book mischief.
    There was also the Stalker from the Stars story where the aquatic aliens came to steal the Earth's waters ... I think there was a Golden Age story with the same plot and it had Namor digging a hole in the back yard that a giant water spout burst out and carried him to the planet or moon where the water was being stolen. Golden Age ... so crazy. lol Anyway, that one also involves Triton. I wouldn't mind seeing them team up again in an outer space adventure... if Triton is still alive. I've often said the Atlanteans should just leave the planet, though I usually think of them going to another dimension, like the Zephyrs, the People of the Black Sea, or even that Zdarsky race, whose name escapes me now, that live in a parallel or or pocket or different dimension. BUT, outer space could be another option.

But yes, the Atlanteans should definitely have their own space ships. They've always been more tech advanced, which we've seen since the Golden Age. They have the tech for ships that navigate an adverse environment. They just need the planet leaving and space travel. I agree, lets get some new planets and adversaries. I don't want Namor in space just to fight Thanos ... again. I wouldn't mind if they encounters some familiar races though.

Another trope we also often see is the aliens are hiding in the ocean, like the Abyss. That could offer a great first contact story... hopefully not evil aliens though. Unless you wanted to do an Alien horror story. I don't really want to see an alien war story ... though it could be a good way to gather all of the underwater threads and characters and reset and define them, as they unite to take on an immediate theat. Hmmmmm. Look at me talking myself into a storyline that I just rejected. lol
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    There was also the Stalker from the Stars story where the aquatic aliens came to steal the Earth's waters ... I think there was a Golden Age story with the same plot and it had Namor digging a hole in the back yard that a giant water spout burst out and carried him to the planet or moon where the water was being stolen. Golden Age ... so crazy. lol Anyway, that one also involves Triton. I wouldn't mind seeing them team up again in an outer space adventure... if Triton is still alive. I've often said the Atlanteans should just leave the planet, though I usually think of them going to another dimension, like the Zephyrs, the People of the Black Sea, or even that Zdarsky race, whose name escapes me now, that live in a parallel or or pocket or different dimension. BUT, outer space could be another option.

But yes, the Atlanteans should definitely have their own space ships. They've always been more tech advanced, which we've seen since the Golden Age. They have the tech for ships that navigate an adverse environment. They just need the planet leaving and space travel. I agree, lets get some new planets and adversaries. I don't want Namor in space just to fight Thanos ... again. I wouldn't mind if they encounters some familiar races though.

Another trope we also often see is the aliens are hiding in the ocean, like the Abyss. That could offer a great first contact story... hopefully not evil aliens though. Unless you wanted to do an Alien horror story. I don't really want to see an alien war story ... though it could be a good way to gather all of the underwater threads and characters and reset and define them, as they unite to take on an immediate theat. Hmmmmm. Look at me talking myself into a storyline that I just rejected. lol
    Of course Atlantean science is capable of this. To some degree they may have limitations only in whether the US or other militaries react to their presence.

This could be an interesting set of stories, also maybe there are secret reasons why Atlantis 'flies' under the radar.

Another kind of Secret War thing perhaps.
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

Preview to Magneto's comic which has a small appearance of Namor but nothing new, basically a repeat of Giant Size X-Men (2020) Magneto, when Namor's face was attacked by that squid thing and Magneto made a deal with a sea hag.
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

Happy 102nd Birthday to Namor!
    Fans sharing fanart

os_read

makajinjin

gummyyshin

I made a comic edit for today

I've been so distracted, I totally forgot. I'm going to have to turn in my Namor Fan Card.

Happy Birthday, Namor!

Those are gorgeous art! Thank you for sharing them. I love that cake on fire in the Invaders piece. lol!

I love your edit, Imp, but it is sad. sniff
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    Preview to Magneto's comic which has a small appearance of Namor but nothing new, basically a repeat of Giant Size X-Men (2020) Magneto, when Namor's face was attacked by that squid thing and Magneto made a deal with a sea hag.

I'm just happy to see Namor again ... but why? And why a recap? Did anyone read it, yet?

I'm just happy to see Namor again ... but why? And why a recap? Did anyone read it, yet?
    Magneto is in a place of judgement and needs to use the key but hasnt yet, and the whole sequence was just a flash back. nothing new occurred.

I've been so distracted, I totally forgot. I'm going to have to turn in my Namor Fan Card.

Happy Birthday, Namor!

Those are gorgeous art! Thank you for sharing them. I love that cake on fire in the Invaders piece. lol!

I love your edit, Imp, but it is sad. sniff
    Thanks!!! Yeah it's been a quiet year for Namor which is insane considering he was just in a movie but anyways good that some fans made art! Also a fan on twitter has been sharing from the Wakanda Forever art book and the designs are so pretty.

Namor in Giant Size Fantastic Four (2024) #1 was actually surprisingly great, he had a snarky attitude, and best of all the writer totally respected the characters and didnt force a Namor/Sue joke or comments, that's how it should be these days, both characters have grown past that old drama and its so refreshing to see them as equals and friends.

The character of Natlus (which the writer said was Sultan spelled backwards as a nod to Namor - Roman naming) was interesting and there was some Atlantean History, we all know Atlantean history is messy at Marvel so adding another king to the mix isn't hurting that, lol, and personally I'd be interested in seeing Namor interact with Natlus in the future.

Spoilers

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

I dont remotely know how you fix the mess Jason Aaron left Namor in, but it was nice to at least see him in Giant Size FF
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post
    I dont remotely know how you fix the mess Jason Aaron left Namor in, but it was nice to at least see him in Giant Size FF
    Since Aaron ignored everything about Namor's character and story to make up whatever then its only fair for other writers to just ignore his work too. Namor being in jail for a time could present a whole new launching off point for him, a power vacuum in the oceans, a new contender for the throne, old rivals rising up to take advantage of him not there, when Namor breaks out then he will have lots of options, like it's really the best thing a writer could do at this point is to just move forward and ignore Namor's time in the Avengers.

Marvel saw Namor and Sue interacting without any kind of flirting and.............well, Women of Marvel #01 (2024) to compensate. It's not possible, there is someone who likes to play with this at Marvel.
    Women Of Marvel 001 (2024) 00013.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Felipe Silveira View Post
    Marvel saw Namor and Sue interacting without any kind of flirting and.............well, Women of Marvel #01 (2024) to compensate. It's not possible, there is someone who likes to play with this at Marvel.
    I feel that whole story was bad, the way the plot thats supposed to be about the women of marvel ended up with the ladies going "but we like the guys! they will be so important one day" and its like??? idk i just didnt like the whole thing, i dont mind them showing sue and namor in the context of their first meeting bc god knows marvel will never let that go, but Sue DOES say she cant marry namor and its pretty clear there that she isnt into him. i dont think of that last panel as flirty but more "you are very stubborn" but anyways, i just feel the context is always what people at marvel forget, todays Giant Size was such a great example of how Namor should interact with the F4, insulting Johnny and Ben/the F4 but being helpful to Sue bc they are friends with them having put the old drama behind them

Quote Originally Posted by Felipe Silveira View Post
    It's the iconic introduction of Namor into the Silver Age and probably the first memorable scene / storyline with Sue in the FF, other than her gaining her powers, so yes, it's going to be referred to and played with.

But I don't know why people keep talking about Namor smelling like fish. I live for the day when he starts referring to how much air breathers smell like cows or pigs or chickens. Utter nonsense.

I feel that whole story was bad, the way the plot thats supposed to be about the women of marvel ended up with the ladies going "but we like the guys! they will be so important one day" and its like??? idk i just didnt like the whole thing, i dont mind them showing sue and namor in the context of their first meeting bc god knows marvel will never let that go, but Sue DOES say she cant marry namor and its pretty clear there that she isnt into him. i dont think of that last panel as flirty but more "you are very stubborn" but anyways, i just feel the context is always what people at marvel forget, todays Giant Size was such a great example of how Namor should interact with the F4, insulting Johnny and Ben/the F4 but being helpful to Sue bc they are friends with them having put the old drama behind them
    It's a short story in an anthology -- I don't expect much from them, even if it is written by Gail Simone, but it was okay, and the plot was about the women of Marvel. I don't want to get rid of the male characters either. lol

It was a direct swipe of Namor and Sue's first meeting, so her interest in him has already been established.

I didn't get that vibe at all from Giant Sized FF, as I'll go into next post. I guess we aren't on the same wavelength today, Imp.
    Last edited by Reviresco; 02-29-2024 at 03:29 AM.

Magneto is in a place of judgement and needs to use the key but hasnt yet, and the whole sequence was just a flash back. nothing new occurred.
    Yes, I scanned the Magneto story. I don't even remember that bit with the key from the Hickman story. But I do remember thinking back then, can't you find someone else to humiliate in their own damn kingdom? Sorry. I'm just very tired and jaded when it comes to Marvel and Namor.

Thanks!!! Yeah it's been a quiet year for Namor which is insane considering he was just in a movie but anyways good that some fans made art! Also a fan on twitter has been sharing from the Wakanda Forever art book and the designs are so pretty.
    If by quiet, you mean completely dead, then yes. SMH.

On a more positive note, yes, thank goodness for the Namor fans! They always come through. I'll have to pick up that art book. It was on my list, I think.

Namor in Giant Size Fantastic Four (2024) #1 was actually surprisingly great, he had a snarky attitude, and best of all the writer totally respected the characters and didnt force a Namor/Sue joke or comments, that's how it should be these days, both characters have grown past that old drama and its so refreshing to see them as equals and friends.

The character of Natlus (which the writer said was Sultan spelled backwards as a nod to Namor - Roman naming) was interesting and there was some Atlantean History, we all know Atlantean history is messy at Marvel so adding another king to the mix isn't hurting that, lol, and personally I'd be interested in seeing Namor interact with Natlus in the future.

Spoilers

I had pretty much the opposite reaction, Imp. I was dizzy from all the eye rolling this comic induced. I hated the interaction between Namor and Sue. Once again, she came across as a selfish user. Equals and old friends??? He's completely de-powered, slovenly, in a straight jacket and in prison and she's free as a lark blundering around in his affairs and history. And as usual, when she gets in trouble, she shows up demanding his help. And even in his awful state, Namor can manage a warm greeting for Sue, while she can't even manage a hello or thank you, much less a comment expressing concern on his awful condition or his clearly depressed state. That is a one sided friendship, for sure.

And as usual with Atlantis, she and the FF came across as proudly culturally ignorant, but thinking they are superior and know better. All Reed and Stingray and Sue were missing were pith helmets and some 'native' workers in their tomb raiding. Of course, Sue comes to the person from that culture to ask what pile of doo doo they've stepped in AFTER they've violated one of their monuments / tombs -- and then ignores what Namor told her, cause the translator (that was invented somehow without ever hearing a word of a language spoken) and the ancient writings of two undersea civilizations she somehow learned (while apparently learning nothing of their history or culture) is to be trusted far more than the so called friend who told her Natlus was bad news. And then there's the idiocy of telling this suspect guy that it was the airbreathers who destroyed Atlantis. Cause, yeah, Namor reacted so well to that news when you first met him. face palm

And what makes it worse, is that this isn't the first time that Sue and the FF have done this. It's the whole Old Kings of Atlantis all over again. Namor told them they were a threat. And Sue decided to listen to a bunch of suspect characters she just met rather than Namor, her alleged friend. And sure enough, those guys tried to do exactly what Namor said they would do, and made a power / land grab for Reed's gizmo, and Sue had the nerve to leave all that mess for Namor to clean up, cause she is the worst user. Please. Namor. Stop indulging this woman. Where's Dorma and an airlock when you need one?

I don't even want to get into the awful 'hybrid' Atlantean / Lemurian. Lemuria was settled by the Atlanteans. The slight differences between them occur later, because of Naga and the Serpent Crown. The Athens War??? Are we talking about the addition of the Atlantean / Amazon war? That didn't include Lemuria at all? Kamuu a failed king??? Really? The guy who, with his Queen Zarta, united the sea tribes into the first Atlantean empire -- not this retconned 'empire king.' And WHY would Namor use a battle cry that has anything to do with this imprisoned loser, who screams Ultimate Namor?

At this point, I'm willing to sacrifice the Black Tide and have them and Natlus take each other out, and we never hear from either of them again.
    Last edited by Reviresco; 02-29-2024 at 03:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post
    The only solution is to drop it down a memory hole as something that never happened or is never spoken of again.

Since Aaron ignored everything about Namor's character and story to make up whatever then its only fair for other writers to just ignore his work too. Namor being in jail for a time could present a whole new launching off point for him, a power vacuum in the oceans, a new contender for the throne, old rivals rising up to take advantage of him not there, when Namor breaks out then he will have lots of options, like it's really the best thing a writer could do at this point is to just move forward and ignore Namor's time in the Avengers.
    At this point we need a monumental reset -- with someone who loves the character with a five year plan to rebuild everything. Something that won't happen, of course, cause Marvel won't support any character, much less Namor, with that sort of commitment. sigh

Yes, I scanned the Magneto story. I don't even remember that bit with the key from the Hickman story. But I do remember thinking back then, can't you find someone else to humiliate in their own damn kingdom? Sorry. I'm just very tired and jaded when it comes to Marvel and Namor.

If by quiet, you mean completely dead, then yes. SMH.

On a more positive note, yes, thank goodness for the Namor fans! They always come through. I'll have to pick up that art book. It was on my list, I think.

I had pretty much the opposite reaction, Imp. I was dizzy from all the eye rolling this comic induced. I hated the interaction between Namor and Sue. Once again, she came across as a selfish user. Equals and old friends??? He's completely de-powered, slovenly, in a straight jacket and in prison and she's free as a lark blundering around in his affairs and history. And as usual, when she gets in trouble, she shows up demanding his help. And even in his awful state, Namor can manage a warm greeting for Sue, while she can't even manage a hello or thank you, much less a comment expressing concern on his awful condition or his clearly depressed state. That is a one sided friendship, for sure.

And as usual with Atlantis, she and the FF came across as proudly culturally ignorant, but thinking they are superior and know better. All Reed and Stingray and Sue were missing were pith helmets and some 'native' workers in their tomb raiding. Of course, Sue comes to the person from that culture to ask what pile of doo doo they've stepped in AFTER they've violated one of their monuments / tombs -- and then ignores what Namor told her, cause the translator (that was invented somehow without ever hearing a word of a language spoken) and the ancient writings of two undersea civilizations she somehow learned (while apparently learning nothing of their history or culture) is to be trusted far more than the so called friend who told her Natlus was bad news. And then there's the idiocy of telling this suspect guy that it was the airbreathers who destroyed Atlantis. Cause, yeah, Namor reacted so well to that news when you first met him. face palm

And what makes it worse, is that this isn't the first time that Sue and the FF have done this. It's the whole Old Kings of Atlantis all over again. Namor told them they were a threat. And Sue decided to listen to a bunch of suspect characters she just met rather than Namor, her alleged friend. And sure enough, those guys tried to do exactly what Namor said they would do, and made a power / land grab for Reed's gizmo, and Sue had the nerve to leave all that mess for Namor to clean up, cause she is the worst user. Please. Namor. Stop indulging this woman. Where's Dorma and an airlock when you need one?

I don't even want to get into the awful 'hybrid' Atlantean / Lemurian. Lemuria was settled by the Atlanteans. The slight differences between them occur later, because of Naga and the Serpent Crown. The Athens War??? Are we talking about the addition of the Atlantean / Amazon war? That didn't include Lemuria at all? Kamuu a failed king??? Really? The guy who, with his Queen Zarta, united the sea tribes into the first Atlantean empire -- not this retconned 'empire king.' And WHY would Namor use a battle cry that has anything to do with this imprisoned loser, who screams Ultimate Namor?

At this point, I'm willing to sacrifice the Black Tide and have them and Natlus take each other out, and we never hear from either of them again.
    That's a very interesting take on this Rev and I am inclined to agree with you on many points, the absence of Namor in comics has caused me to become desperate for crumbs and attempt to find the best in the situation. Personally I was just so freaking relieved to have a Namor and Sue interaction where their isnt any "namorsue jokes" that I was more than ready to look kindly on this comic. I dont think anything will really come out of this except Natlus being set up in an Attuma role "Might makes Right" and a mirror to Namor.

As you said in your other post someone really needs to get a hold of the character and straighten out the Atlantean history, but no matter how much we lament it, it wont happen with Marvel. Personally I think another failed king is just on par with previous failed kings/emperors in the past so I'm not too fussed about there being more complex history because we really have crumbs to look forward to for the time being. *sigh* Personally I never liked the Kamuu stories so I just tended to not think of them, lol.

Honestly what you pointed out with Sue is something I agree with very much but again I TRY not to be a bitter person and constantly rant about how Sue (and the NamorSue) dynamic treats Namor bc it's just so aggravating. When Sue is like "why didn't namor ever tell us about him" like Namor isn't going to talk about old atlantean history/secrets out of no where, and also what makes Sue entitled to any Atlantean knowledge whatsoever? Like Sue becoming "Queen" in the Hickman run, it always annoyed me that Susan is given more right and respect than Namor. The one time I remember Namor calling Sue out for her hypocrisy was in Sub-Mariner (2007) #4 where Namor goes I helped you in your time of need but you cant do the same for me???

namor1.jpg

namor2.jpg

I do think Namor being a friend to Sue is what Marvel should do and I do like that Namor is being his sassy self even when he's at his lowest point. I do think its good Susan didn't ask after Namor's wellbeing bc there would be people who read too much into that and think she still has feelings for Namor when she doesn't. Anyways I don't think Natlus is a bad character to introduce, he reinforces the fact that even if a person was from the sea but was half atlantean/lemurian that the atlanteans and lemurians still dont accept people who are different at all which is a big part of namor's character too.