Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

It's not overthinking it, it's just thinking about it. Which is what creators should be doing when approaching characters they're working on.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Doombot View Post
    It's not overthinking it, it's just thinking about it. Which is what creators should be doing when approaching characters they're working on.
    I'll certainly agree, that the creators should be thinking or even overthinking the characters they are writing.

So, I know Namor's speech pattern changed when he was introduced by Stan Lee, because Lee is fond of the pseudo Shakespearean formality. But there is actually a short period of time (I'm going to ignore the utter nonsense that Namor was wandering around homeless for like 50 years.) from the end of his Atlas run in 1955, IIRC to FF 4 in 1962. Do you think he out grew the slang of Galloping Guppies in that short time, or was there something that prompted him to make the change? Or do we blame ... amnesia!!! Poor Namor's head.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    I'll certainly agree, that the creators should be thinking or even overthinking the characters they are writing.

So, I know Namor's speech pattern changed when he was introduced by Stan Lee, because Lee is fond of the pseudo Shakespearean formality. But there is actually a short period of time (I'm going to ignore the utter nonsense that Namor was wandering around homeless for like 50 years.) from the end of his Atlas run in 1955, IIRC to FF 4 in 1962. Do you think he out grew the slang of Galloping Guppies in that short time, or was there something that prompted him to make the change? Or do we blame ... amnesia!!! Poor Namor's head.
    I would assume he'd just grew out of it, that's if you'd consider that stuff canon at all? I mean, I certainly don't speak like I did as a teenager and I'm not over a century old. The real problem with Namor's pre-Marvel speak is that Marvel has shown he was raised in a formal royal court, with full Stan Lee style pomp and grandiose, and then he's also this way as an adult in the Silver Age. Just the impulsive youthful war years seem to have all the human slang. Was he just being rebellious? Wanting to fit in with humans? (While resenting them at the same time?)

I would assume he'd just grew out of it, that's if you'd consider that stuff canon at all? I mean, I certainly don't speak like I did as a teenager and I'm not over a century old. The real problem with Namor's pre-Marvel speak is that Marvel has shown he was raised in a formal royal court, with full Stan Lee style pomp and grandiose, and then he's also this way as an adult in the Silver Age. Just the impulsive youthful war years seem to have all the human slang. Was he just being rebellious? Wanting to fit in with humans? (While resenting them at the same time?)
    I'm pretty sure Namor's slang showed up in the Invaders and other period stories published since FF#1, so it is canon. If Steve had a sense of humor, he'd be exclaiming, "Galloping Guppies!" whenever he's around Namor. lol

Hmmmm. I can see that, but sadly, I do find some teen age expressions that date me creeping into my speech even now. Maybe it's a translation issue, also. Maybe Sufferin Shad sounds / means something different in Atlantean. heh Maybe he found Shakespeare between his teens and his return to the surface after his Hobo Era.

Of course, it could just be a cultural thing. Returning to Atlantis, he had to adopt their speech patterns to be taken seriously. He wouldn't want to adopt or use anything that emphasized his air breather side amongst the very judgy and fickle Atlanteans.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

The Namor Shopping Challenge. Enter your next retail establishment like Namor.

I'm pretty sure Namor's slang showed up in the Invaders and other period stories published since FF#1, so it is canon. If Steve had a sense of humor, he'd be exclaiming, "Galloping Guppies!" whenever he's around Namor. lol

Hmmmm. I can see that, but sadly, I do find some teen age expressions that date me creeping into my speech even now. Maybe it's a translation issue, also. Maybe Sufferin Shad sounds / means something different in Atlantean. heh Maybe he found Shakespeare between his teens and his return to the surface after his Hobo Era.

Of course, it could just be a cultural thing. Returning to Atlantis, he had to adopt their speech patterns to be taken seriously. He wouldn't want to adopt or use anything that emphasized his air breather side amongst the very judgy and fickle Atlanteans.
    The real answer to this, as with most comic bookery is: "because".

I can only really imagine it was just Namor picking up human expressions while having adventures with and against them during those years.

The real answer to this, as with most comic bookery is: "because".

I can only really imagine it was just Namor picking up human expressions while having adventures with and against them during those years.

LOL! Yes, I think "because" is the answer most writers and editorial picks. If they actually think about it.

Now that I think about it, I don't think Brubaker or Fraction used the silly slang in their flash backs. It also makes me wish we could get another Bucky / Winter Soldier and Namor team up. They were so much fun together. But I don't even know what Bucky is doing now.

For having worked so hard (or worked it so hard) that all of the Invaders exist in these more recent years (okay, out of the loop but I think more true than not?)

It seems like mostly wasted opportunities. Namor seems to not have good plotting or character moves.
    But the most recent Invaders type reunions really lacked to me. Maybe some interesting ideas but it needed something else.
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

Namor sighted in the Giant Fantastic Four interview and preview LINK

"No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

This woman won't leave the guy alone, not even in jail.

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    Namor sighted in the Giant Fantastic Four interview and preview LINK
    SIGH

It truly is a monkey paw's, isn't it? First Namor appearance in what, over a year, and it's this ugliness. And a minor appearance. With Sue. And it's all about a new character that will never be used again. I'm going to go cry in my non-alcoholic beverage, and will be back to try and find something that doesn't depress my fan self.

Quote Originally Posted by Felipe Silveira View Post
    This woman won't leave the guy alone, not even in jail.
    LOL! Thank you. I needed that laugh in the midst of this disappointment.

Would they really have Hulk or Thor able to be cuffed and locked in a prison for a year? How is Namor not levelling that entire building?

Would they really have Hulk or Thor able to be cuffed and locked in a prison for a year? How is Namor not levelling that entire building?
    Part of it is that Namor allegedly went willingly to prison ... without a trial. And for unknown ... reasons. It's beyond nonsense from Jason Aaron. Though it's confusing, because the interviewer says it is an Atlantean prison ... which it totally does not look like, plus again, and doubly, WHY? Trial?

Part of it, I'm sure, is that Namor is probably dehydrated.

My question is why does it look like he lost part of his forehead? And his looks?

And my major question is WHY is this still going on? Why is anyone referencing this crap? Drop it the memory toilet where it belongs, and give us the good Namor book, that we should have for his 85th anniversary.

Okay, so here's FabNic's contribution to Atlantean lore ...

I wanted to dig into Atlantean and Lemurian lore and say a little something about modern times as well, but I can't give too much away about Natlus without revealing a story twist, but I will say he ruled a few thousand years ago and his reign lasted for about 100 years before he was exiled. And, he was also the first -- and probably last -- king who was an Atlantean/Lemurian hybrid.
    Hmmmm. I would have thought Atlantean / Lemurian rulers wouldn't have been that unusual, given it's another undersea kingdom and royals like to marry royals. But then again, they did have great periods of time where they didn't talk to each other, IIRC -- that snake worshiping thing doesn't sit well with Neptune.

It also appears he is a water manipulator.

I will say, I don't like the exiled and entombed king discovered by the FF. It sounds a lot like Ultimate Namor, who I really do not like.

Also, the Atlanteans need to pull Walter Newell's exploration license ... he's always trouble.

LOL! Yes, I think "because" is the answer most writers and editorial picks. If they actually think about it.

Now that I think about it, I don't think Brubaker or Fraction used the silly slang in their flash backs. It also makes me wish we could get another Bucky / Winter Soldier and Namor team up. They were so much fun together. But I don't even know what Bucky is doing now.
    Same here. They made a wonderful pair (IMHO):

"Good-bye. Good luck. Good riddance."