Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Veni View Post
    Aww, nice one! Very cute.

Incredible Member Captain Britain of Earth 20's Avatar

Powergirl is definitely becoming a member of the Superman Family. plus with her new telepathic abilities along with changing her name seems like DC has a success here. Karen Starr, Kara Zor-L or Paige doesn't matter she's stands out always, becoming one of the most incredible individual in the mightiest family in DC if not in all comics.
    Be yourself everyone is taken !! I'm an X-Man trapped in the DC omniverse

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Britain of Earth 20 View Post
    Powergirl is definitely becoming a member of the Superman Family. plus with her new telepathic abilities along with changing her name seems like DC has a success here. Karen Starr, Kara Zor-L or Paige doesn't matter she's stands out always, becoming one of the most incredible individual in the mightiest family in DC if not in all comics.
    Paige Stetler isn't her name. She shouldn't have whatever her new abilities are, just the standard Kryptonian set. She shouldn't be Omen's besty, they've barely if ever interacted in panel before. There was no set-up for any of that. Just suddenly, "oh, I'm not Karen Starr anymore, no reason, just feels". No set up for Omen. And, let me stress, "Paige" does NOT sound like "PeeGee". Except in the same sense that death metal sounds exactly like a Brahms nocturne, except for every detail. To abuse that music analogy a bit more, PG actual IS that metal song, while the current imposter is elevator music composed by an AI.

PG did NOT need "fixing". She's the Kryptonian with an attitude, a chip on her shoulder. She's bold and brash, and sometimes gets in over her head as she thinks she can handle anything. Which isn't far from the truth. She's smart, but for some reason prefers to hide her light. What she isn't is whatever you'd call this iteration. It may not be AS annoying and poorly characterized, but this version is close to the nu52 level bad. I hope the current writer leaves, soon for a more suitable writer. One who will restore PG to her proper self.
    Last edited by achilles; 02-20-2024 at 04:39 PM.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Britain of Earth 20 View Post
    I disagree with literally everything you wrote being good moves for PG. DC has turned Power Girl into an aged-up duplicate of Supergirl nothing more nothing less. They have stripped her of everything that made her unique. This is my view of the matter, and I'm far from alone in this opinion.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

I'm somewhat amused that at least 2/3s of the alt covers depict a version of Power Girl that's nowhere to be found within its covers

I mean, it's not an uncommon phenomenon, but it's still pretty funny.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Paige Stetler isn't her name. She shouldn't have whatever her new abilities are, just the standard Kryptonian set. She shouldn't be Omen's besty, they've barely if ever interacted in panel before. There was no set-up for any of that. Just suddenly, "oh, I'm not Karen Starr anymore, no reason, just feels". No set up for Omen. And, let me stress, "Paige" does NOT sound like "PeeGee". Except in the same sense that death metal sounds exactly like a Brahms nocturne, except for every detail. To abuse that music analogy a bit more, PG actual IS that metal song, while the current imposter is elevator music composed by an AI.

PG did NOT need "fixing". She's the Kryptonian with an attitude, a chip on her shoulder. She's bold and brash, and sometimes gets in over her head as she thinks she can handle anything. Which isn't far from the truth. She's smart, but for some reason prefers to hide her light. What she isn't is whatever you'd call this iteration. It may not be AS annoying and poorly characterized, but this version is close to the nu52 level bad. I hope the current writer leaves, soon for a more suitable writer. One who will restore PG to her proper self.
    You know... if you read the ancient tomes of Krypton's past... the idea of telepathic Kryptonians is fine honestly. MOST Kryptonians don't have such powers, but some did. Also one of the weirder Kryptonite variants would give that power to a K who wasn't born with it.

But... the telepathy isn't the real issue with that run.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post

New 52 Power Girl was more similar to the OG version of the character, even when PG was Atlantean she was more like the Power Girl we all love and know more than this Paige version. I agree the with the rest of your statement. Power Girl should be a balanced mix of bold, assertive, intelligent, and independent. This current version is overly dependent on J̶e̶a̶n̶ ̶G̶r̶e̶y̶ Omen and Superman. The JSA is enough family for PG in my opinion.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PrydefulHunts View Post
    New 52 Power Girl was more similar to the OG version of the character, even when PG was Atlantean she was more like the Power Girl we all love and know more than this Paige version. I agree the with the rest of your statement. Power Girl should be a balanced mix of bold, assertive, intelligent, and independent. This current version is overly dependent on J̶e̶a̶n̶ ̶G̶r̶e̶y̶ Omen and Superman. The JSA is enough family for PG in my opinion.
    Honestly I don't mind her being apart of the Superfam, she can be apart of both them and the JSA. Both create wells of potential stories and interactions with her.

The issue here is that the emphasis on the Superfam comes at the expense of downplaying her JSA stuff while at the same time making her the black sheep of the Superfam so she's turned into that pitiable relative who wants so much to fit in.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    Honestly I don't mind her being apart of the Superfam, she can be apart of both them and the JSA. Both create wells of potential stories and interactions with her.

The issue here is that the emphasis on the Superfam comes at the expense of downplaying her JSA stuff while at the same time making her the black sheep of the Superfam so she's turned into that pitiable relative who wants so much to fit in.
    Which is my issue with how they're handling that storyline. PG is many things, pitiable is NOT one of them. Nor does she indulge in self pity.

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PrydefulHunts View Post

The current JSA book is so mired and bogged down by delays that I lost interest long ago and don’t even know what’s going on over there anymore. Was someone planned to take it from Johns after his exclusive publisher deal??
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

I hate that they've done this to her. All in the name of what, making her more "relatable"? Do Williams and the editors have self-esteem issues?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    I hate that they've done this to her. All in the name of what, making her more "relatable"? Do Williams and the editors have self-esteem issues?
    I don't know about that, but I do know that PG herself does not have self esteem issues. She thinks she's great!

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ducklord View Post
    I'm somewhat amused that at least 2/3s of the alt covers depict a version of Power Girl that's nowhere to be found within its covers

I mean, it's not an uncommon phenomenon, but it's still pretty funny.
    Funny enough, my self realization of this fact played a big part in dropping the book.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

I concur with you on this. The way PG was folded into the Super-family was terrible. I think she should be adjacent to them at best.