Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 ... LastLast

My concern is that DC thinks this is the Power Girl readers want so they end up keeping the Paige Stetler, fish out of water, self pitying version of Power Girl instead of Karen Starr.

Quote Originally Posted by PrydefulHunts View Post
    My concern is that DC thinks this is the Power Girl readers want so they end up keeping the Paige Stetler, fish out of water, self pitying version of Power Girl instead of Karen Starr.
    All she's missing is a loser boyfriend she's too good for but doesn't realize it because of said self loathing, I'm sure DC has their own version of Marvel's Paul they can use.

Quote Originally Posted by Veni View Post
    How can a single image capture the true spirit of Power Girl better than the entire run of the current comic book series? This Power Girl is playful, strong, and beautiful. She exudes confidence and competency.

I wish this was the PG we got in the current run not the insecure neurotic mess of a pale Supergirl imitation....
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    All she's missing is a loser boyfriend she's too good for but doesn't realize it because of said self loathing, I'm sure DC has their own version of Marvel's Paul they can use.
    Wouldn't be a better reason to bring back Andrew Vinson like now.

Don't give them any ideas.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Extraordinary Member

That interview...woof. If she wanted to go with a cowboy theme, wouldn't "Settler" sound better than "Stelter"? Why not go whole hog with it and make her a farmer or a rancher instead of a reporter? "She got tired of living in the fast paced tech world and decided to start a farm." It still has her in the superman family but she's doing her own thing. Williams is talking about PG like she's brand new when she's been around since the 70's, none of this feels right. Williams has a very deep misunderstanding of the character. I haven't seen a writer/character match this bad in a long time.

Initially, I was concerned that Williams, just coming off of X-terminators, would lean hard into that ill-gotten reputation Power Girl has and go full bimbo with the character. At this point I almost wish she had.
    Good Lord, when the fans can come up with better ideas than the actual professional writers, there's trouble in DC land. Does anyone think there's even a chance DC will notice how bad this is and replace the writer with someone who will return KAREN to her old glory?

That interview...woof. If she wanted to go with a cowboy theme, wouldn't "Settler" sound better than "Stelter"? Why not go whole hog with it and make her a farmer or a rancher instead of a reporter? "She got tired of living in the fast paced tech world and decided to start a farm." It still has her in the superman family but she's doing her own thing. Williams is talking about PG like she's brand new when she's been around since the 70's, none of this feels right. Williams has a very deep misunderstanding of the character. I haven't seen a writer/character match this bad in a long time.

Initially, I was concerned that Williams, just coming off of X-terminators, would lean hard into that ill-gotten reputation Power Girl has and go full bimbo with the character. At this point I almost wish she had.
    And do you know the saddest part? We could have had a Power Girl book written by Christopher Priest instead of this crap. Great job, DC!
    "Longtime fans will read the book and bitch about it NO MATTER WHAT."

- Grant Morrison

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Good Lord, when the fans can come up with better ideas than the actual professional writers, there's trouble in DC land. Does anyone think there's even a chance DC will notice how bad this is and replace the writer with someone who will return KAREN to her old glory?
    See the interview. I think it’s more from how the editors see Powergirl, and gave it to a writer that’s new to the character. Editor of PG would have to change first.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Seems like Leah is treating her like she’s just landed in the DC universe and is not one of the older and experienced heroes.
    https://www.dc.com/blog/2024/03/29/l...irl-s-new-name
    Yikes.

Her explanation was horrible.

"I wanted to give her a name that was hers"

Karen Starr isn't unique to her?

And you want her to be an induce only to place her at The Daily Planet? When she used to run her OWN BUSINESS!?

Extraordinary Member

See the interview. I think it’s more from how the editors see Powergirl, and gave it to a writer that’s new to the character. Editor of PG would have to change first.
    Okay, get rid of them too, I'm fine with that.

Quote Originally Posted by PrydefulHunts View Post
    Using Omen in the story wasn't even Williams' ideas, it was editorials. Power Girl's last name is Stetler because Williams worked at a ranch with cowboys who had that last name... I really don't understand how any of this got approved.
    Hmmmm. Powergirl as a modern take on the iconic cowgirl vibes?

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

There's an irony here that Williams editor is also a woman, so this is a case of a female character being seriously handled by women.

Honestly Williams whole plan here was very misguided. She clearly wanted to write a fish out of water character, which wouldn't work for either PG or Kara because both women have been on Earth for some time now. Having them have to relearn everything again would have been disrespectful to both characters.

Would have been better off just creating an OC and do the whole fish out of water plotline with her while have PG taking care of her.

Here is one of the erased moments that makes me smile to this day.
    Screenshot_20240402_093246_Kindle.jpg
    Screenshot_20240402_093217_Kindle.jpg

Extraordinary Member

It just baffles me that we’ve gone from Powergirl being one of the senior and lynchpin superheroines of the DC universe while mentoring teens like Atlee and Stargirl, to being inexperienced and being mentored herself by a former Teen Titan Omen, who was none of those things.

Extraordinary Member

It just baffles me that we’ve gone from Powergirl being one of the senior and lynchpin superheroines of the DC universe while mentoring teens like Atlee and Stargirl, to being inexperienced and being mentored herself by a former Teen Titan Omen, who was none of those things.
    Especially since if she wanted to tell such a story, (sans Omen), she could easily have set it in the past, when Kara/KAREN first arrived on her Earth. An arc would have sufficed before moving to present day. Or, better still, she could have not done that and instead carried on shorty after the end of her pre Flashpoint monthly. I hate it when writers on long existing IPs feel the need to "put their own stamp" on it, and change nearly everything. There's usually a reason why such IPs survive for so long, and it's unlikely a new writer on the character will do better by changing everything.