Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    So what do you guys think of the idea of having PG being a sort of mutant throwback Kryptonian?

'cause the old stories... had the idea that Krypton had it's own version of radiation-spawned mutants, who had different powers than regular Kryptonians.
    My opinion is that it depends on the exact implementation. In theory, it could be great, but it also might not be.

So what do you guys think of the idea of having PG being a sort of mutant throwback Kryptonian?

'cause the old stories... had the idea that Krypton had it's own version of radiation-spawned mutants, who had different powers than regular Kryptonians.
    On top of being the cousin of a Superman from a parallel universe than no longer exists making her twice a survivor?

I think than less is more.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    On top of being the cousin of a Superman from a parallel universe than no longer exists making her twice a survivor?

Well, she's not from the same city. Kal-el is from Kryptonopolis, but Kara is from Argo City.

They're... on opposite sides of the continent. Soo.... maybe?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post

If done, it would have to be baked into a decent origin story, as part and parcel of the character; I don't think it would be easy to graft it in afterwards.

Extraordinary Member

Well, she's not from the same city. Kal-el is from Kryptonopolis, but Kara is from Argo City.

They're... on opposite sides of the continent. Soo.... maybe?
    Isn't Power Girl from Kandor City? I know SG is from Argo City, but IIRC PG is from Kandor.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Isn't Power Girl from Kandor City? I know SG is from Argo City, but IIRC PG is from Kandor.
    Hunh.... the OG PG was actually yeah, hunh. Hadn't noticed that before. A lot of PG versions just don't mention that.

Frank Cho new Sketch Instagram

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

I like this review of Power Girl issue 6

Its a very scathing review, and it really lays into how much Omen is a constant deus ex machina in this book.

Writer Leah Williams continues to make Power Girl a side character in her own book. Yes, Supergirl is a guest star and seeing Kara and 'Paige' team up is usually good fodder for stories, even if to contrast them. But the most action is delivered by ... you guessed it ... Omen, who has become the 'how do I get out of this situation' tool for the writer. She can do it all.
    Most users are young kids so Kara and 'Paige' try to go undercover on a college campus.

Now this could have been a fun and interesting part of the story. Is 'Paige' too old to pass for a student? Would people hit on her? Wouldn't it be interesting to see how the two differ in their approach? Is 'Paige' a part girl persona? Is Kara a 'serious student' person?

If you are teaming the two up to contrast them, you have put them in the right place. But then Omen shows up.

Omen has already telepathically found users. She telepathically puts them into a deep sleep. She reads their minds to discover what the pushers look like. She gives 'Paige' some Avalon to examine. Then she uses her powers to implant mental blocks.

She is the Swiss Army Knife of plot progression. Why even set up Kara and 'Paige' going undercover if Omen does all the work magically and on one page?

Second, this is the second time that Omen has used her powers to impose her views and ethics on people. She is a villain. The ends don't justify the means.

Third, I am sick to death of Omen. She is the real 'hero' or 'action star' of the book/
    I don't buy a Power Girl book to read a twee cartoon fantasy book. I don't buy a Power Girl book to see Omen be the action star and actually skirt the line of villainy. I wish the college scene would have been utilized more to highlight the supposed star and guest star of the book.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    I like this review of Power Girl issue 6

Its a very scathing review, and it really lays into how much Omen is a constant deus ex machina in this book.

That's exactly how Omen has come across since the backups in Action Comics, an overly quirky deus ex machina. It doesn't help that Power Girl is so dependent on Omen of all people. Omen's relationship with Power Girl is also poorly developed, there's still no real showing of Power Girl becoming close to Omen. Just dialogue about Power Girl "Learning how to human."

Aren't Powergirl and Supergirl similar in appearance now? I thought the whole taller, bigger body, more muscled, UBER busty version was strictly a Post Crisis thing courtesy of Bart Sears (and made into more sane proportion later by Ron Randall)? In this new She-came-in-the-60s version, Powergirl appears to be short and petite just like Supergirl but with a shorter haircut

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    Aren't Powergirl and Supergirl similar in appearance now? I thought the whole taller, bigger body, more muscled, UBER busty version was strictly a Post Crisis thing courtesy of Bart Sears (and made into more sane proportion later by Ron Randall)? In this new She-came-in-the-60s version, Powergirl appears to be short and petite just like Supergirl but with a shorter haircut
    There is a persistant but false legend that Wally Wood in the 1970's make Power Girl's bust larger each issue just to see how far he could go before it was caught. While that wasn't the case it does show Power Girl was always seen as bustier than other characters (including Supergirl) from very earlier in her publication history. It definitely was not a Post-Crisis addition.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    There is a persistant but false legend that Wally Wood in the 1970's make Power Girl's bust larger each issue just to see how far he could go before it was caught. While that wasn't the case it does show Power Girl was always seen as bustier than other characters (including Supergirl) from very earlier in her publication history. It definitely was not a Post-Crisis addition.
    I have to disagree with you there. While Powergirl was indeed not a B cup, Pre-Crisis renditions did NOT feature her as terribly different fron Supergirl or the other women around her in build. It wasn't until Bart Sears that she started routinely being drawn with bowling balls on her chest. Then after the Teasdale affair, her physique took on more and more muscle as she actively trained to push through her limits and return to her pre- Teasdale power levels (whoch she had successfully done by War of the Gods). Her JLE stint is where most of the traits we associate with her--and whose absence we lament--surged into the comics mainstream.

A quick Google Image Search should readily reveal this.

s-l1200.jpg

The above and the three in last post illustrate how she was typically rendered back then.

Below is Post Crisis from her 4 issue mini introducing her new Atlantean origin. But note what starts happening with JLE in the next posts.
    71eVSNeoqaL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg
    Last edited by Stanlos; 03-07-2024 at 09:58 AM.