Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

ef6286166b303b8adef06f8d4df48ad9.jpg

The above is representative of the back breaking sized bust, supersized stature, and the really muscular ripped physique we have come to associate with Powergirl. And it is purely a Post Crisis phenomenon as is the wry, borderline sour disposition and trademark scowl. That was not the way she was prior to Crisis and prior to her stint with the League.

I recall Geoff lamenting that Powergirl had been "reduced" to jokes about her chest and aggressive Feminism. It is a criticism that was difficult to debate because Bart Sears was way more cheeky than even AH! when it came to hiding "look I touched a booby" style panels in plain site. Yes, she was drawn insanely large. Yes, she was drawn insanely muscular. Yes, she would verbally decapitate people in a single sarcastic declaration. But those were merely SOME of her traits.

To her fans, they were not the ONLY things known aboush. She was awesome and I loved that character and seeing her eviscerste Wally or give Cap a hard time or whatever. It was refreshing to see her grow.

And grow she did! Her character arc is one of the most impressive and inspiring in the DCU. The young woman we meet in JLE#1 is completely different from the woman who backed Diana during Judgment Day. She had gone through a lot and demonstrated truly aspirational traits that I find admirable: discipline, resilience, and loyalty.

I will never let her go.
    Last edited by Stanlos; 03-07-2024 at 10:34 AM.

I dunno... PG is the most buxom woman in these covers. :Ţ
    Last edited by marhawkman; 03-07-2024 at 10:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    I dunno... PG is the most buxom woman in these covers. :Ţ
    Buxom. Sure. But Power Girl is today known as way beyond buxom. She is known to be ridiculously exaggerated. Those covers show a badic female physique as compared to her post crisis visual interps from Sears onward.

Incredible Member

PG 95.jpgDear DC you she how she come rushing through this cover so Powerful and Convident that dear people is the POWER GIRL we know not this waterdown paige stetler person.stop playing around w our characters and give the people who purchase your product want they want or as you know you'll feel it in your wallet.

Quote Originally Posted by warzon View Post
    PG 95.jpgDear DC you she how she come rushing through this cover so Powerful and Convident that dear people is the POWER GIRL we know not this waterdown paige stetler person.stop playing around w our characters and give the people who purchase your product want they want or as you know you'll feel it in your wallet.
    The symbioship plot from the Showcase story was redone, but 10x worse in this current series.

Quote Originally Posted by Veni View Post
    How is it that sone thing so simple as coloring a belt blue instead of red can make steam come out of my ears?

I don't know. But it surely does. With Powergirl, the cape and the belt are red. The boots and the gloves are blue. Other than this manifestation of pure evil, pic is adoramous and quite good.

On June 25, writer Leah Williams and artists Eduardo Pansica and Júlio Ferreira team up Power Girl and Crush with the Holliday Girls in a last-ditch effort to take down Goblin and his goons, take back their neighborhood and shut down the Czarnian threat on Earth once and for all. Power Girl #10 features main cover art by Yanick Paquette, with variant covers by Nicola Scott and Daxiong.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    I recall Geoff lamenting that Powergirl had been "reduced" to jokes about her chest and aggressive Feminism. It is a criticism that was difficult to debate because Bart Sears was way more cheeky than even AH! when it came to hiding "look I touched a booby" style panels in plain site. Yes, she was drawn insanely large. Yes, she was drawn insanely muscular. Yes, she would verbally decapitate people in a single sarcastic declaration. But those were merely SOME of her traits.

To her fans, they were not the ONLY things known aboush. She was awesome and I loved that character and seeing her eviscerste Wally or give Cap a hard time or whatever. It was refreshing to see her grow.

And grow she did! Her character arc is one of the most impressive and inspiring in the DCU. The young woman we meet in JLE#1 is completely different from the woman who backed Diana during Judgment Day. She had gone through a lot and demonstrated truly aspirational traits that I find admirable: discipline, resilience, and loyalty.

I will never let her go.
    Ah, speaking of Geoff Johns, I remember when he was on the old DCU boards back before PG had made her comeback, a large bit before she was retconned back to her original Krypton 2 origin....on the JSA forum, he asked why people liked PG, admitting he did not, and did not understand her appeal. I and others responded, and lo and behold, some time later, she appears again as a member of the JSA. Now I doubt we had much to do with that part of it; I think DC had decided to use her regularly again, and Geoff went along. But hopefully our answers at least informed his portrayal of her, at first, anyway. Later of course, he turned her into a useless, crying idiot who moped around about things she couldn't change, rather than just forcing her way forward against the current threats. She turned into a kind of rescue bait character.

Still, nothing he did was worse than the current series.

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post
    On June 25, writer Leah Williams and artists Eduardo Pansica and Júlio Ferreira team up Power Girl and Crush with the Holliday Girls in a last-ditch effort to take down Goblin and his goons, take back their neighborhood and shut down the Czarnian threat on Earth once and for all. Power Girl #10 features main cover art by Yanick Paquette, with variant covers by Nicola Scott and Daxiong.

Paquette's covers have been great. Wish he did interiors for the book.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post
    Daxiong.

Daaaaaaaamn now THAT'S a Power Girl vibe!

(love Nicola's version of Kerry Gammil's PG #1 from 1988 too. Lots of fun with that one.)
    William Messner Loebs Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-writ...ource=customer

Peter David Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/peter-david-fund

Len Kaminski Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-save-len-kaminski

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    In defense of Bart Sears, he drew all the women with exagerated proportions. Crimson Fox, Fire, even Sue.

Why PG standed the more?

The white color can make things look bigger. And probably sales were big with Sears on it.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin