Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Default What issues/ runs would you recommend for the MCU cast?

With the MCU Fantastic Four filming soon and coming out next year, what issues/runs do you think are quintessential for each character? What would you recommend for each of the cast to really know the characters they will play?
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

is there an in-canon explanation for Johnny getting the same mutation as Jim Hammond's android body?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    is there an in-canon explanation for Johnny getting the same mutation as Jim Hammond's android body?
    Also Bryne made one of his girlfriends(Introduced during Roy Thomas's run I think) into Phineas Horton's stepdaughter (and she didn't know!)
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Also Bryne made one of his girlfriends(Introduced during Roy Thomas's run I think) into Phineas Horton's stepdaughter (and she didn't know!)
    Is that Frankie who became Nova? That made it into the cartoon.
    "Cable was right!"

There's also a fan theory that Toro is Johnny Storm's son who was timelost in a FF Annual 32.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

If that was the case, then why is he a mutant who was retconned to Inhuman? He'd be a mutate if he simply inherited his Dad's powers, like Mayday Parker, Spider-Girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Is that Frankie who became Nova? That made it into the cartoon.
    Yes, that's Frankie Raye. I think that was adapted in the cartoons twice in the 90s, in Fantastic Four and in Silver Surfer.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Do Johnny and the Android Torch use the same mechanism to Flame on? I remember they tried to explain how Jim works when they decided to say that the Vision was created from his body but I never got it.
    "Cable was right!"

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Read Giant Size F4. Apparently Namor turned himself in after Aaron's Avengers ended? Lame.
    It was beyond lame.

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    Namor turned himself in on-panel in Aaron's final AVENGERS issue. It was nice that Fabian remembered and acknowledged that, since some other writers have had Namor turning up without any explanation for why he isn't still serving his sentence.
    Given how horrible Jason Aaron wrote Namor, and the crap he heaped on him, I'd prefer it if the writers completely forgot that Namor was in that run.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    why is Namor serving time in a prison somewhere? Voluntarily?
    It's a question I ask myself repeatedly, especially given there was no charges, or trial or sentencing. It appears to be simply at the dictatorial caveat of Cap and the Marvel editors once again dumping on the character that doesn't have a book.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I remember people complaining about Namor turning himself when the final issue of his Avengers run came out.
    Because it made no sense, especially given there was zero justice for the Atlanteans.

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    Because he spent most of the Jason Aaron AVENGERS run and the last INVADERS series being a super-villain attacking the surface world repeatedly.
    Not exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    Bunch of stuff caught up with him. One of his "villain" acts was trying to turn humanity into water breathers, then there was his group of underwater characters who were attacking the surface world.
    If you read the Invaders run, as well as Namor's own book, you'd know that Namor did not do that. In Namor's own book, back in the dinosaur age when Marvel gave flip about the character, a real super-villain, an air breather named Dr. Hydro, turned a bunch of people into water breathers, including Namor's first surface girlfriend, Betty Dean. There's no way he'd do such a thing, given the problems that caused and how hard he tried to find a cure for them. In that Invaders run, without permission or telling him, Professor X implanted an identity into Namor's mind, which was planning and carrying out those attacks.

The DEFENDERS of the Deep weren't attacking the surface world. They were attacking intrusions onto the ocean world, hence the DEFENDERS name. They were formed AFTER the latest surface world conflicts ended up with an Celestial dropped on Atlanteans. With Roxxon ships mining in Atlanteans waters, ending up with the murder the Atlanteans and the abuse of their corpses. With the invasion of a sovereign nation by the Avengers and interference in their judicial system. etc. etc. etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yeah, he's been done for war crimes, basically.
    It's funny how only the Atlanteans are accused of war crimes, while Atlantis and their civilians keep getting destroyed and killed by the surface world. What did Reed say in GS FF? Oh, your Atlantis was destroyed by a gamma bomb from the surface, and any survivors are scattered nomads, but don't even think of doing anything, cause we surface dwellers have plenty more of those gamma bombs than that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Thundershot View Post
    So a typical Tuesday afternoon for Namor. lol
    If you mean, a typical Tuesday where Namor is abused for some other characters book, sure.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Do Johnny and the Android Torch use the same mechanism to Flame on? I remember they tried to explain how Jim works when they decided to say that the Vision was created from his body but I never got it.
    That retcon of Vision got retconed out, IIRC.

No. I don't think Johnny and OG Torch use the same mechanism. OG Torch and Toro both had Horton cells though some retconned history in The Torch mini-series, IIRC. But that probably got retconned out of existence when they made Toro an Inhuman.

I really am getting tired of the real secret secret history of characters, that changes everything we knew about the character!!!
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    With the MCU Fantastic Four filming soon and coming out next year, what issues/runs do you think are quintessential for each character? What would you recommend for each of the cast to really know the characters they will play?
    All the issues ... except for Millar's run. That was the worst.

Last edited by Crimz; 03-14-2024 at 11:47 PM.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Mighty Member

I like this development

Quote Originally Posted by scribbleMind View Post
    I like this development
    I do as well !
    Franklin's sudden depowering in Slott's run rubbed me the wrong way, so I'm really looking forward to this
    Also, he seems to have taken inspiration of Ben's "one day, once per year" situation :P

Also, SHIELD possibly coming back after.. what? 6 years now? (cameo in Bendis' Miles book finale notwithstanding)

the preview is fascinating. I'd like to think that "once a year" is not an exact, when it comes to cosmic powers.

I like this revelation and it rings true with many other theories about Franklin over his life, what he represses or hides --even from himself.

Still at some point I think either Val or Sue would surmise or suspect. At any rate, it is a fascinating and cool way to bring back the Franklin we all know was still 'there'.

Of course I'd wonder about other entities that should 'know or see' this too. Like the Watcher. Although Franklin may be so powerful, certainly the Watcher must be aware and somehow guiding even in the subconscious.

Or other beings...
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

I miss blonde Franklin.