Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91516171819202122 LastLast

I wasn't sure what to make of this issue. I definitely liked it, but trying to figure out what the initial incentive to write it was makes my brain hurt. At this point, I am convinced North came up with a cool use of powers and went from there figuring out a threat that could be stopped by it. It was a normal issue, with the standard one issue threat which is backed by nice characterization and the science backed dealings which the FF excel at. But unlike many of previous issues, there are developments that have been plopped in our laps which will (well, should be...) dealt with in future issues.

spoilers:
    We knew Franklin has a secret; now we know what it is. The annual thing makes sense in that it was a Franklin creation and not some cosmic thing that just happens to coincide with an Earth revolution.
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    Nicholas Scratch is around and spying. Might be a one and done, or a longer story. I would like to see something a bit longer from Ryan North on occasion.
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    SHIELD is still around and with a seemingly logical view. Funny books say that kind of behavior never lasts though.
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    Where did those asteroids come from? Pretty well hidden and a considerable threat. I'm guessing more on this later.
    end of spoilers
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

yes, though some sense of the danger approaching seemed to me to be something known by other cosmics, being more random, or possibly makes it interesting.

I hope to pick this up later this week!
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

I really enjoyed it. I love the creativity North brings to the teams powers and this seems to be the first issue that sets a couple of long-term plot points.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

I thought North threaded the needle pretty well between respecting what Slott did, restoring Franklin’s powers, but also making sure Franklin didn’t obliterate any sense of stakes with easy access to reality warping. One thing I’ve loved about this run is how powerful the F4 come off as. Sue is straight up GL tier with her ability to form constructs, Reed’s ability to stretch gets used in lots of fun ways, Johnny came handle the fire from an asteroid that hits with the force of a billion nukes, and Ben’s had some good strength and endurance feats.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

I'm just waiting for Johnny to finally shave.

But is Franks a mutant?
    TO KNOW HER IS TO FEAR HER: JESSICA DREW THE SPIDER-WOMAN
    BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE NEW 2024 SPIDER-WOMAN SERIES by STEVE FOXE!!!

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura
    Northstar and Aurora's shiny hair
    Spider-Woman’s cowl costume

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I miss blonde Franklin.
    So do I.

Peace

Another great issue, man I love those one shot stories, it feels like so many things happened since the beginning of the run !

Mighty Member

The way X-Men and F4 have been coming up with new power combinations has been nice. We've come a long ways since throwing Wolverine was peak combo potential.

Seen X-Men 97? Gambit and Wolverine had a cool team-up move in that. Wolverine gets thrown as Colossus often does with him, but this time the thrower is Gambit, who'd charged his claws! I can't believe the comics had never done that one!
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Another great issue. I’m glad Franklin’s mutant abilities aren’t gone… amd regardless of whether they’re not officially mutant or not, it’s ambiguous enough for me to still consider him a mutant. There’s been way too much lore saying he’s a mutant. Heck, Days of Future [insert story here] stories hinge on him being a mutant. Psi-lord was a mutant. Anyway…

Quote Originally Posted by Thundershot View Post
    Another great issue. I’m glad Franklin’s mutant abilities aren’t gone… amd regardless of whether they’re not officially mutant or not, it’s ambiguous enough for me to still consider him a mutant. There’s been way too much lore saying he’s a mutant. Heck, Days of Future [insert story here] stories hinge on him being a mutant. Psi-lord was a mutant. Anyway…
    I'm also on the "who cares what Marvel says this week, he so is" side. Scientifically he fits the definition and it's only the X-gene thing disqualifying him in comics. We'll see what happens if (when?) the X-books come up with a plot that uses Franklin.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Quote Originally Posted by Thundershot View Post
    I've always felt that Franklin is a mutant's mutant. He inherits both the combined cosmic ray energy mutation of his parent's genes, but also their other traits. Intelligence, etc. What mutants are to regular humans, Franklin is to mutants. So, Omega, or whatever.
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    I've always felt that Franklin is a mutant's mutant. He inherits both the combined cosmic ray energy mutation of his parent's genes, but also their other traits. Intelligence, etc. What mutants are to regular humans, Franklin is to mutants. So, Omega, or whatever.
    Franklin is a unique case since he's the son of 2 famous heroes.

Most Mutants aren't really descended from any known famous lineage barring say Magneto's fam or the Summers-Grey household.

All I'm saying is, bring back Hyperstorm somehow.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.