Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

I'm iffy on Franklin here. He was fairly solid, but I'm going to keep an eye out on the science talk. I'm fine with him being interested in it, and knowing some things. But I don't hope they go the route of him being yet another science genius or gifted child. I always liked it when he was a goofy, fairly average kid whose strengths came from his imagination and compassion.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    I'm iffy on Franklin here. He was fairly solid, but I'm going to keep an eye out on the science talk. I'm fine with him being interested in it, and knowing some things. But I don't hope they go the route of him being yet another science genius or gifted child. I always liked it when he was a goofy, fairly average kid whose strengths came from his imagination and compassion.
    interesting take on Franklin-- we'll see how it goes. hmm.. If he gets a "C" in anything is he on punishment?

I want to see a parent teacher conference regarding Valeria… and Uncle Doom shows up. That poor teacher lol

The teacher knows Val has links to Doom already of course, since she mentioned it when she introduced herself.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    The teacher knows Val has links to Doom already of course, since she mentioned it when she introduced herself.
    Knowing there's a relationship with Doom is one thing. Doom showing up in your classroom is something you talk about to your great grandchildren.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Anyone else prefer the team to have a replacement or fifth member?

I miss Crystal and Sharon and Lyja and Scott.
    TO KNOW HER IS TO FEAR HER: JESSICA DREW THE SPIDER-WOMAN
    BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE NEW 2024 SPIDER-WOMAN SERIES by STEVE FOXE!!!

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura
    Northstar and Aurora's shiny hair
    Spider-Woman’s cowl costume

Quote Originally Posted by danielsan52 View Post

A unique replacement member is always fun after a while .

You think val would not like doom as much since one of the first things he does is kidnap her and tortures her mom in front of her. Most kids won't like someone if you are hurting their mom in front of them! Guess it didn't bother val much.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    You think val would not like doom as much since one of the first things he does is kidnap her and tortures her mom in front of her. Most kids won't like someone if you are hurting their mom in front of them! Guess it didn't bother val much.
    that's the long term risk with the conceit of "Uncle Doom". Sooner or later, Von Doom's evil streak and dishonorable nature will come out and be on stark display, despite his kindness to Valeria.

Just ask franklin and kristolf who doom acted nice to then stabbed both in the back for his own greed. Doom has a history of betraying kids that trust him. Makes val feel like the stupidest girl in the world ironic. For someone so smart she sure is pretty dumb not to see his history with kids right in front of her including what he did to her own brother.

Issue 709 was a shift in focus and we got to see Ryan North take on the kids in full. I loved it.

"I assume Earth parents love unexpected surprises" is easily the line of the book. Obviously Skrull intelligence still has major weaknesses. "Raul Richards' tacos from Earth 234952" was close though.

On the surface, it's a basic "kids have a plot and go at it under their parents' noses". And it is. North is not coming up with some different innovation here. But he does this incredibly well. The dialogue and even the tropes of genius Val being the inspirational spark while older Franklin maintains that "maybe not..." warning well. And Reed's "when I was your age"... (chef's kiss). It's the kids' story and as such, it has a threat, but no overwhelming terror, which is good. Honestly, this is proof that a Future Foundation series featuring and geared TOWARDS kids is a great way to help introduce future generations to this franchise.

As an single example, this story is great. However, it's been 16 (709-693) issues with Ryan North and it's been single issues with an occasional two parter. A big multiparter is part of the FF being a major superhero presence. I prefer a variety of story intensities and lengths. Byrne's Alpha Flight and Levitz's Legion (DC) had a schedule for a while when they would split the year between one big multi parter and other character focused single issue stories. I could certainly see this with FF. But since neither of the earlier book's methodologies caught on, the big two may have reasons not to. But still, FF is far more than the BIG stories. It's as much the small moments as the cosmic epics. If I had one criticism for North's run, it's the need for a more bigger cosmic stuff.

Franklin and the FF appear in Power Pack: Into The Storm. I believe it's set about eight years ago, when Alex was 13 (he says he's that old in issue 1, and he should be about 21 now ignoring the Future Foundation's time away, as he was 19 before Secret Wars), Valeria wasn't yet born, and Franklin was Tattletale.

Also, a cliffhanger plot twist in Spider-Woman might explain how Franklin and Valeria now seem to be the same age. spoilers:
    Apparently Hydra have tech that can age up a toddler (Gerry Drew) to adulthood. Could Valeria have invented a similar device and aged herself up to match her brother?
    end of spoilers
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Franklin and the FF appear in Power Pack: Into The Storm. I believe it's set about eight years ago, when Alex was 13 (he says he's that old in issue 1, and he should be about 21 now ignoring the Future Foundation's time away, as he was 19 before Secret Wars), Valeria wasn't yet born, and Franklin was Tattletale.

Also, a cliffhanger plot twist in Spider-Woman might explain how Franklin and Valeria now seem to be the same age. spoilers:
    Apparently Hydra have tech that can age up a toddler (Gerry Drew) to adulthood. Could Valeria have invented a similar device and aged herself up to match her brother?
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    Depending on how that storyline goes, I am actually hoping Jessica goes to Reed for help regarding Gerry.
    end of spoilers

I’ve always liked Jessica Drew’s interaction with the FF. She’d make a great replacement member.
    TO KNOW HER IS TO FEAR HER: JESSICA DREW THE SPIDER-WOMAN
    BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE NEW 2024 SPIDER-WOMAN SERIES by STEVE FOXE!!!

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura
    Northstar and Aurora's shiny hair
    Spider-Woman’s cowl costume

Quote Originally Posted by ComicNoobie View Post
    Wow! Franklin is one year older then Cassie Lang now. She's still 15. Aging in Marvel makes no sense.
    None whatsover.

Slott messed up. Before Secret Wars, their established ages were 3 and 8. After the timeskip, they should've been 8 and 13, but instead, it seems that Val somehow aged up to match Franklin! He never did state more specifically than them both being teenagers though.
    For me, this is what makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMaker1610 View Post
    I didnt dislike Slott's run (it was extremely hit-or-miss for me).
    Kind of my take on it too.

Quote Originally Posted by danielsan52 View Post

IMHO, it keeps the book fresh.

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    For me, this is what makes sense.
    Franklin, Val, and the rest of the FF also had a couple of years before Secret Wars. A major timeframe problem with the FF is Ben's annual switch back to human form. Whenever that is done, another year in his life is chalked off.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    Kind of my take on it too.
    As for Slott, that's most people's take on it as well. The thing is that where Slott didn't get credit were the points posters felt were most important. Once the big things are screwed up, it's very difficult to make the other points look like something other than faint praise.