Page 41 of 76 FirstFirst ... 3137383940414243444551 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Seems odd to get up in arms over a young heroes team being composed of younger counterparts of older characters. Like do people think Kid Flash, Robin, and Aqua Boy were all created out of thin air in that Brave and the Bold issue?
    None of those characters were blood children of their older superhero counterparts, though. For me the big thing is how eager DC's been lately to give every superhero and supervillain a blood child sidekick, and I know superhero families are big right now, but there's been a growing emphasis of blood family over found/chosen family.

It also strikes me as a little odd that just because a superhero has a child that child will immediately want to fight crime, which is part of why I so much enjoyed Jai deciding to do his own thing and not be forced into the "family business".

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    I’m just not interested in yet another generation of the JL… what is this like Gen 5 or 6 now? You have JSA, JLA, Titans, Young Justice, Teen Titans/5G and now this team… in another 10 years we’ll have another crop of Aqua/Flash/Bat/Wonder/Super characters. Not my thing and it doesn’t interest me
    At this point each generation is tied to a Robin and I'm very doubtful DC will introduce another Robin anytime soon. They clearly have no idea what to do with Tim as it is.

(Also they clearly do not consider 5G a thing anymore if they greenlit Jon being on this).

Quote Originally Posted by Tomkatie View Post
    None of those characters were blood children of their older superhero counterparts, though. For me the big thing is how eager DC's been lately to give every superhero and supervillain a blood child sidekick, and I know superhero families are big right now, but there's been a growing emphasis of blood family over found/chosen family.

It also strikes me as a little odd that just because a superhero has a child that child will immediately want to fight crime, which is part of why I so much enjoyed Jai deciding to do his own thing and not be forced into the "family business".
    And they were initially only notable because they were tied to a major older hero, what difference does it make if their blood related or have surrogate familial relations at that point? I get found family stuff but it's not like the original young hero stuff were wholly independent creations.
    Last edited by Gaius; 03-22-2024 at 07:46 PM.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tomkatie View Post

As much as I'm glad to see Maxine featured (hopefully with an appearance or two for Buddy with her), I do feel the same way about all of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    And they were initially only notable because they were tied to a major older hero, what difference does it make if their blood related or have surrogate familial relations at that point? I get found family stuff but it's not like the original young hero stuff were wholly independent creations.
    Diffirent stories usually are told with biological kids. Found family also had more diversity since those kids usually had different relationship with their "parents".

Seems like Mr. Terrific's son is the last member

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Diffirent stories usually are told with biological kids. Found family also had more diversity since those kids usually had different relationship with their "parents".
    Yeah, thinking about Wolfman/Perez's Titans I'd argue that one of the themes of the run, if not really the main theme, is pretty heavy daddy issues:

Dick: His father is Batman
    Donna: Her parents died at the age of 2
    Starfire: Sold her to slavery
    Beast Boy: His father is Mento
    Cyborg: His father is responsible for his accident
    Raven: Self-explanatory
    Jericho: His father is Deathstroke
    Terra: Illegitimate daughter of a king

I used NTT as my example but I could have used easily Runaways instead. Rebelling against your parental figures, as freudian as it sounds, always seems to be a major theme in these runs and it seems to be forgotten here.

And here we have Jon, Maxine, Flash kids and Damian (depending if his story is reset or no) having good relationships with their fathers.

Quote Originally Posted by Leancarp900 View Post
    Seems like Mr. Terrific's son is the last member

Yeah, thinking about Wolfman/Perez's Titans I'd argue that one of the themes of the run, if not really the main theme, is pretty heavy daddy issues:

Dick: His father is Batman
    Donna: Her parents died at the age of 2
    Starfire: Sold her to slavery
    Beast Boy: His father is Mento
    Cyborg: His father is responsible for his accident
    Raven: Self-explanatory
    Jericho: His father is Deathstroke
    Terra: Illegitimate daughter of a king

I used NTT as my example but I could have used easily Runaways instead. Rebelling against your parental figures, as freudian as it sounds, always seems to be a major theme in these runs and it seems to be forgotten here.
    Thanks to the success of Damian I guess every character needs to have a kid now.

Astonishing Member

Is Jon confirmed? He's the only one who hasn't been revealed by posting an art.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Thanks to the success of Damian I guess every character needs to have a kid now.
    The West Twins and Maxine predates Damian. Maxine is around since the 80s.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    Is Jon confirmed? He's the only one who hasn't been revealed by posting an art.
    Nope not yet. Still I wouldn’t be surprised if he was a guest star for this book - no one else is using him at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Not to beat a dead horse but if this Ultimate DC initiative is real, and it stars younger version of the classics like I expect it would, that might be why DC is ok’ing all of these new kids. On Earth 0 the core characters are all approaching middle age while over on Earth Alpha everyone is young and single/unmarried.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Astonishing Member

It's also one of things DiDio was heavily criticized for - his disdain for characters having family/kids.
    Another way to say, that things are different.

Quote Originally Posted by Dougbauer View Post
    https://twitter.com/TravisMercer15/s..._yq3ykahA&s=19
    Ok now ANIMAL GIRL.. It is really that proposed team Adam told once that was not approved. And DC really change their minds.
    What was the team if you remember?
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

I think the reason why DC approves all those kid characters is because they realized their heroes having teenage kids doesn't really fundamentally change them (not in the same way, say, Spider-Man or Daredevil having kids would). Most of them already had sidekicks anyway.

Take Batman for example. Damian at the end of the day is really just another Robin. He can easily be sidelined if you want to tell a solo Batman story (which is what happened in Scott Snyder's run for instance) so there is no need to get rid of him.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    It's also one of things DiDio was heavily criticized for - his disdain for characters having family/kids.
    Another way to say, that things are different.
    DiDio was the one who kickstarted this by approving Damian and then Jon. His crusade was moreso against characters he considered "redundant". O'Neil would have never greenlit Damian because he considered Tim definitive.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    What was the team if you remember?
    The line-up from his Super Sons crossover in his Flash run, if I'm not mistaken.