Page 42 of 76 FirstFirst ... 3238394041424344454652 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Leancarp900 View Post
    DiDio was the one who kickstarted this by approving Damian and then Jon. His crusade was moreso against characters he considered "redundant". O'Neil would have never greenlit Damian because he considered Tim definitive.
    DiDio would never make it a trend, like it's happening now.
    Damian was planned to die and his huge popularity was the reason why he was brought back. Jon was an attempt to repeat this success.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    DiDio would never make it a trend, like it's happening now.
    Damian was planned to die and his huge popularity was the reason why he was brought back. Jon was an attempt to repeat this success.
    DiDio approved and kept Damian around because he wanted to do Supersons (which is ironic). He said this himself a few times.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    What was the team if you remember?
    It was in The Flash #797.

Last edited by Last Son of Krypton; 03-23-2024 at 02:57 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I wonder if Adams might bring in one of those lost Superhero kids he came up with?
    The Mr Terrific one would be amusing as it would make Quiz Kid another candidate for the meat grinder.

I think the WW and Aquaman editors already declared that the versions of Donna and Garth’s kids Wally rescued were some other Donna and Garths of another earth

I think the reason why DC approves all those kid characters is because they realized their heroes having teenage kids doesn't really fundamentally change them (not in the same way, say, Spider-Man or Daredevil having kids would). Most of them already had sidekicks anyway.

Take Batman for example. Damian at the end of the day is really just another Robin. He can easily be sidelined if you want to tell a solo Batman story (which is what happened in Scott Snyder's run for instance) so there is no need to get rid of him.
    You can ignore Damian because Morrison created him with that feature in mind. You can't really do that with Jon and thats one of the major problems people have with the age up - Clark and Lois look like horrible parents.

In most cases kid being written like a sidekick is bad writing.

DiDio approved and kept Damian around because he wanted to do Supersons (which is ironic). He said this himself a few times.
    That's incorrect. Both Scott Snyder and Grant Morrison have stated in various interviews that WB had to step in and over-rule dC's management's plans and agreement to erase Damian and introducing Duke as the new Robin.

These plans were made way back before scott signed on. DC's allowed Morrison to introduce Damian because he was only going to feature in Batman and Son only.

According to Morrison in the book 100 things every Batman fan should know or do before they die by Joseph McCabe:

It's well known that Batman would never father a kid in main continuity, WB would never allow that and I know scott wants his Batman alone. So it still surprises me that all these years later he's still here fucking up continuity.

Harras also said in an interview on DC killing another Robin:

the tragedy of Damian wayne is important because it echos and reinforces the tragedy of Batman's life. That loss is part of who batman is and I think that's what Grant was doing. That is what Damian was designed to do.

Snyder whilst talking about All Star when Rebirth was launching confirmed that there were plans to make Duke Robin but that was stopped by an email from WB.

He also revealed in another interview that creating a new Robin is down to WB. What they would allow and what they want to invest in. He had wanted to but WB wouldn't

https://comicbook.com/dc/news/snyder...l-star-batman/

It was nothing to do with Didio or the Supersons.

Even in this interview where Snyder again talks about Duke/Harper not becoming officially Robin due to WB being very invested in Damian, he mentions DC's TT plans for damian a number of times and never Super sons [this interview was at the start of Rebirth]

https://www.comicsbeat.com/building-...o-global-hero/

Curious to hear what Didio has to say on the matter, Can you link me to where Didio said he approved Damian and he had him brought back because of the Super sons?

Even Jon's creator Jurgens indirectly confirms that WB not DC was the reason why Damian stuck around. He mentioned WB contacting DC [while explaining on his twitter why Terry's origin was changed. Retconning out him being related to or sharing any genetic material with bruce ] while he didn't Didio or Super sons, he does DC having to make changes and dumps previous plans because WB's plans for Damian.

Damian's role went from 4 issues to B&R vol 1 because of a Dr Who episode.

Morrison said that he could have written DickBats and Damian for even longer but DC had other plans for Batman wanting everything reset for 2011.
    He had to wrap up his story and return his toys to the box leaving Batman as he was when he arrived.

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/life/2...-book/2037669/

The Damian being saved by popularity part might be the explanation for why B&R got a vol2 rather than just restricting damian to Inc

Damian and Steph on a team and Adams writing makes this a potential win for me. I loved Miller Batgirl. The dynamic between Steph and Damian has always been killer and I was starting to worry about Steph since Batgirls ended.

i hope Tim isn't revealed for this series. Steph needs some distance from his character.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    Not for me. Going to pass on this book. Not interested in two Bat characters and two Flashes. Plus the other members (Jon and Maxine) don’t interest me either
    This is a thing that has always baffled me. I have my favorite characters too but good comics aren't good because of which characters are in them; they're good because good creators make them.

The characters are imaginary, they don't have any control over how good a comic is, only the creators do.

I have favorite characters but I don't buy comics by bad creators if they're in them and I'm more than happy to read about characters I don't care for at all if they're written and drawn by great writers and artists.

That's actually how I come to have favorite characters. I tried so hard for so long to care about The New Gods but I just couldn't and I gave up. It was to the point where I would be annoyed if Darkseid or any of them appeared in a book I cared about.

Until King's Mister Miracle. Great creators made one of my favorite series' about a universe of characters I actively avoided and now I absolutely love them.

I do understand that your point has more to do with burnout on characters and a preference for characters you feel are being overlooked.

All I want to see is Elongated Man to come back (he has been flat out replaced by Plastic Man and it drives me up a wall but worse everyone comes back and he has been goooone), but I never feel like there is too much attention on one character if the creators are great.

And Batman books don't come at the expense of focusing on other characters, because the other characters don't make the numbers and comics are struggling. If you want to see a greater focus on other characters, though it seems counterintuitive, buy more Batman books and DC will have more money to focus on other characters. The saturation of Batman stuff is a mere function of an industry and specifically a company that is struggling hard to stay alive.

So I want Elongated Man, I want more things like the terrific Danger Street series which couldn't have featured more obscure characters.

But really I just want good comics which means good creators and has practically nothing to do with the characters they write.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    All I want to see is Elongated Man to come back (he has been flat out replaced by Plastic Man and it drives me up a wall but worse everyone comes back and he has been goooone)
    Ralph sort of is back, in that he's alive and seemingly active, he just never appears anywhere.

Fantastic Member

Happy to see him reply to someone that Quiz Kid will be darker in the final work, got a little worried he would be whitewashed.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    buy more Batman books and DC will have more money to focus on other characters. The saturation of Batman stuff is a mere function of an industry and specifically a company that is struggling hard to stay alive.
    This make no sense whatsoever.

Nobody should have to support Bat God in the sad pathetic chance Danger Street or Miracle Man gets a mini or one shot. NOBODY.
    Because the justified reply by the public should be "go out of business then."

Nobody at Boom Studios is telling folks you MUST buy Power Rangers to get Something is Killing Children & House of Slaughter.
    Nobody at Image is telling folks you MUST buy every issue of Spawn to get Moon Man, GI Joe, Transformers, Savage Dragon and Killadelphia.
    Nobody at IDW is telling folks you must buy Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles to get Star Trek Books.
    Nobody at Dynamite is telling folks you must buy Red Sonya to Vampirella or Disney books.

How does buying Batman or Nightwing ASSURE us of a Danger Street being made?
    How does buying Batman or Ivy ASSURE us of JSA and Shazam having books coming out ON time?
    How does buying Batman or Joker ASSURE us of a Cyborg or Steel book NOT written by a college student or Worf?
    How does buying Batman or Birds of Prey ASSURE us of DUKE THOMAS (who is of the Bat family despite the WB) getting a book? It's been 5 years.

They don't. They don't assure a damn thing.

Because try telling a parent whose kid loves say Black Adam that they have to buy Batman books to MAYBE get Black Adam. Guess what that parent is NOT going to do that. They are going to buy something else.
    My school district is NOT going to do that. We stopped buying Batman (and X-books) because NO KID WOULD READ THEM.
    Same with the public library.
    Guess what there are store owners who are TIRED of the saturation of Bat books. Because their bins along with everyone else's are PACKED with unsold Batman books that they can't get rid of even with sales. While gatekeepers will scream about unsold copies of Ms Marvel-she at her WORST will never leave a pile as big as Batman. Tim, Duke, Step, Cass and Batwing at their worst can't either.

These books have to SELL themselves. If management can not figure that out-you get NEW management.
    In the WORST way.

So 2 Bat characters, 2 Flash characters and now 2 Mister Terrific legacies?
    Not feeling this line-up at all.

Astonishing Member

It's follow-up from Adams' work in Flash and Golden Age, I guess.
    Damian (and Jon?) are there, because without them this team has no chance for any sales, and Steph, I reckon, is used because Adams wants to give her something and DC gave him permission.