Page 9 of 76 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959 ... LastLast

Isn’t Liefeld usually saying that DC will be out of business by the end of such and such date?

We’ve already heard a number of rumors about this happening. I hope he doesn’t get a lot of credit for breaking this news.

Launching an Ultimate DC line in 2025 would be a great way to build hype for Gunn’s DCU. Sounds like something he would want to do since he’s big on brand synergy.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    You might be right, could explain why they’ve kept pushing Jon, started pushing Damian, and let King make Lizzie. Now they’ve got a new Trinity.
    Please no more Jon

If the “Ultimate DC” line is gonna have some synergy with Gunn’s DCU it should then have Clark as Superman.

If Superman from Action Comics #1 will be public domain doesn’t that mean that if someone wanted to use the character they would have to use the costume with the yellow shield symbol (not the classic ‘S’) and the laced up boots?

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

I'm really excited by the DC ultimate news, I hope they put a actual effort into this with at least 4 or 5 books and put some decent marketing for this. I actually like the idea of a universe with younger heroes, especially with how much DC is letting characters like superman and batman age in the current universe and have big families.

Mighty Member

Does anyone want completely new characters, not your typical variations of superman/batman.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Isn’t Liefeld usually saying that DC will be out of business by the end of such and such date?
    Yeah, but that’s hyperbolic nonsense. This is a rumor that started with Bleeding Cool, but there’s merit to it. Scott Snyder is his newsletter outright said that there were plans to do an Ultimate DC line alongside the 5G stuff, but that got scrapped. Remember Earth Alpha from the end of Death Metal? My guess is that was Snyder seeding an Earth he could do his Ultimate DC stuff on if DC ever changed their mind.
    If Superman from Action Comics #1 will be public domain doesn’t that mean that if someone wanted to use the character they would have to use the costume with the yellow shield symbol (not the classic ‘S’) and the laced up boots?
    My understanding is yes, and they can also create new Superman stuff that isn’t copyrighted still. Can’t do Red Son Superman but you could do an Elseworld Superman story about him being raised by Vikings or whatever. That’s fair game.
    Quote Originally Posted by golgi View Post
    Does anyone want completely new characters, not your typical variations of superman/batman.
    Wouldn’t really be an “Ultimate DC” at that point. Ultimate means the traditional characters in a modern context.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

I'm not sure how this "ultimate" universe is supposed to synergize with the movies when Superman is the only one whose movie will be out soon. Batman's move will be close to his current status quo with Damian as Robin, and there's no plan for Wonder Woman, Aquaman, the Flash or the Justice League.

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    I'm not sure how this "ultimate" universe is supposed to synergize with the movies when Superman is the only one whose movie will be out soon. Batman's move will be close to his current status quo with Damian as Robin, and there's no plan for Wonder Woman, Aquaman, the Flash or the Justice League.
    And also Gunn probably isn't talking to the comics side at all, I imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    2025, I think. Probably closer to DCU launch, I have a feeling, that cinematic universe being rebooted is a major factor here, they're probably hoping that this ''Ultimate DC'' might be the starting point for new movies' audience.
    They probably will want to have first trades available for when the movie comes out.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    And also Gunn probably isn't talking to the comics side at all, I imagine.
    Minus the ones on his team
    But the regular on DC comics seemed jazzed about him

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Rob Liefeld Says DC Comics Is Doing An Ultimate Comics: https://bleedingcool.com/comics/rob-...timate-comics/
    The tough part I think will be creating an Ultimate line that feels different and not like a fancy Elseworlds line, or repeating the mistakes of the old Earth One line. They have to find some balance where this new universe feels new but at the same time still "official". So how much do they change with characters and their history without going to far? Do they try the Earth One formula again and start at the beginning, or do they want this new universe to be established some at the start? But then how much do you establish?

Then I guess this might relate to Gunn's new DC cinematic universe like some suggested, but the issue with that is that universe is starting with an older Batman, so it might be a bit too similar to the already ongoing DC universe in places to copy that structure outright.

I'll be honest with y'all, if there aren't any hot creative teams attached to the projects, i'll only read whatever Ultimate Wonder Woman ends up being, if she gets a series at all. (I hope that she does? And that they give her to Kelly Sue? And that the comics are set up on the Historia universe? is it too mcuh to ask for? DC, please?)

I hope it's not true, I'm not so interested at all and an attempt of making an ultimate DC universe just screams new 52 again.

I can’t say I’m not intrigued by an “Ultimate” DCU, but we’ve seen so many retellings of the origins of popular DC characters that I’m struggling to see how they could make this initiative fresh and different from the regular DCU.
    Plus, in a time where DC doesn’t exactly have a long list of superstar writers, I worry that too much focus on the fresh new thing will mean the DCU proper gets even less effort.

A DC event 30 years in the making...Zero Hour 2?

As that scan indicates, DC Connect is out - here's the solicits.
    https://bleedingcool.com/comics/blee...solicitations/

Waid has left Shazam, Josie Campbell is the new writer.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    As that scan indicates, DC Connect is out - here's the solicits.
    https://bleedingcool.com/comics/blee...solicitations/

Waid has left Shazam, Josie Campbell is the new writer.
    I trust her she did a great job on that 4 issue Mary Marvel series New Champion of Shazam.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.