Page 70 of 79 FirstFirst ... 2060666768697071727374 ... LastLast
Results 1,036 to 1,050 of 1176

Quote Originally Posted by Reddead View Post
    Another Absolute DC "leak" from 4chan (probably fake, but it does sound more real than the other one).

* Absolute Superman by Jason Aaron: Superman as an actual alien with little to no humanity
    * Absolute Wonder Woman by Al Ewing: Wonder Woman as an adventurer
    * Absolute Batman by Scott Snyder: Batman as an average guy with no money
    * Absolute Flash by Jeff Lemire: Flash (Wally) with a new origin with no connection to Barry

If real I hope they mixed up Aaron and Snyder's projects tbh because I think Snyder creating a new Batman would be lame.
    Its more appealing but i rather they use a new lineup the whole way through.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrac View Post
    I 200% believe Didio would go hard for AI, artists would start abandoning the ship, and he'd back down only after some time, and very relunctantly.

Thats better. This sounds more likely, alltho, no Green Lantern?
    They could use Jo from Far Sector.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 04-20-2024 at 03:29 PM.

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

Another Absolute DC "leak" from 4chan (probably fake, but it does sound more real than the other one).

* Absolute Superman by Jason Aaron: Superman as an actual alien with little to no humanity
    * Absolute Flash by Jeff Lemire: Flash (Wally) with a new origin with no connection to Barry

If real I hope they mixed up Aaron and Snyder's projects tbh because I think Snyder creating a new Batman would be lame.
    Absolute Superman could be very interesting if it leans hard into the no humanity angle, no disguises (like Martian Manhunter)

Wonder Woman sounds like Lara Croft, is Themysceria supposed to be an El Dorado for her?

The Batman premise already sounds lame unless they make him a full-blown anarchist/communist, we already have enough heroes like that.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by All Star Superman View Post
    I admit up front that what I'm about to share might be completely false, so take it with a grain of salt. It's some fun stuff my comic book retailer shared with me, stuff he heard from people he knows who know other people at DC. You know how that goes...

From his "sources:"

- Rich Johnston's comments that Absolute DC has a lot to do with the looming copyright expiration is true. This is DC's preparation for a long-term solution to the problem of no longer solely owning all versions of their characters.

- The "Absolute Earth" line (possibly referred to as "Earth-A" to avoid conflict with the countless numbered universes) will not line up with the plans that James Gunn has for DC on film, whereas "DC All In" will. Apparently, "All In" refers to synergy among various media.

- Absolute DC books will be limited to solo characters for a time and will radically reimagine some of them. That's not my choice of words, it's the word my comic guy said was used. Johnston used similarly strong wording in his story.

- Because the intent is to develop a new universe that would more easily exist in light of expired copyrights, expect changes in characters' ethnicity, sexual identity, and powers.

- Green Lantern and Flash will be among those most changed from the versions we know today. Think the SA approach to those same characters but perhaps as radically different as Tangent.

- First books released include Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash, Green Lantern, and the debut of new characters or old characters repurposed for the new universe.

- As Johnston said, Waid is involved but so too are John Ridley, Ta-Nehisi Coates, Gail Simone, Tom King, Tom Taylor, and Grant Morrison.

- Superman will likely receive a new ethnic background, with Coates adapting his Superman film ideas for the Earth-A version of the character.

- Wonder Woman's origin will be heavily tweaked, rooted in Native American mythology instead of Greek.

- Bruce Wayne will likely be of mixed heritage and will possibly also be gay or bisexual.

- The buildup to the Justice League will take a while, perhaps months or even a year's worth of stories.

- Grant Morrison is involved in some way with the Wonder Woman revamp, possibly writing and approaching the character the way he did Superman in the New 52.

My thoughts:

Personally, none of this interests me in the slightest. If true, though, it's not surprising. They will retain trademarks but not copyrights, meaning they'll have to get very creative to distinguish their versions of the DC heroes from those that will likely start appearing in less than a decade. I have no interest in what will less "Ultimate DC" and more of a radical reimagining, but I understand why DC would go that route.
    Just so you know, I am working on followups, and having to be very careful with souirces, but I know that several examples you gave of takes and creators are not true.

More believable but oh Lord if Snyder is seriously coming back for another Batman series that is the most boring possible choice ever.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Johnston View Post
    Just so you know, I am working on followups, and having to be very careful with souirces, but I know that several examples you gave of takes and creators are not true.
    I believe in Rich.

Honestly these don't sound really appealing...and some of which we've already seen before. I feel like if it tries too hard to be "look at us doing these characters...BUT DIFFERENT!" it just won't hit. Feels more God and Monsters than "Ultimate" to me.

I also feel like Snyder has done everything he can with Batman so why do it again?

The Wally thing makes me wonder if it's a test bed for trying to do Wally as Flash without Barry at all so he can get more of a media push and ignore Barry.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    They could use Jo from Far Sector.
    Why do I feel like it'll be a totally new character as their GL? (oh yeah, because people can't help but make new earth Lanterns every chance they get)

Superman with no humanity is so last decade. Doesn't sound believable at all.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Honestly these don't sound really appealing...and some of which we've already seen before. I feel like if it tries too hard to be "look at us doing these characters...BUT DIFFERENT!" it just won't hit. Feels more God and Monsters than "Ultimate" to me.

I also feel like Snyder has done everything he can with Batman so why do it again?

The Wally thing makes me wonder if it's a test bed for trying to do Wally as Flash without Barry at all so he can get more of a media push and ignore Barry.
    We've heard that rumor about the Absolute Flash series being a Wally book where they have a Barry-less origin in the past, right? They might be trying to have a more streamlined origin for the movie stuff, yeah. It's understandable, although I can't say I love the idea of Barry being erased from the Flash franchise entirely for what might be DC's biggest exposure to the mainstream via film. That stings a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Why do I feel like it'll be a totally new character as their GL? (oh yeah, because people can't help but make new earth Lanterns every chance they get)
    You are probably right but i rather get a new Flash instead.

I guess Jo could be tied to Jemisin like how Jace is tied to Ridley.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 04-20-2024 at 08:20 PM.

Snyder on Batman actually sounds the most realistic since I can see DC wanting to center a new launch around the "Scott Snyder is back on Batman" articles they'll get.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    You are probably right but i rather get a new Flash instead.
    I'd rather they stop doing endless derivatives of the same concept when they don't have room for the characters they have. The Flash and GL mythos' are bloated enough as it is.

Batman and Superman fans have no idea how lucky they are to not have to go "Okay, but which version?" every time they get an adaptation.

The endless parade of legacy characters has gotten so stale.

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    I'd rather they stop doing endless derivatives of the same concept when they don't have room for the characters they have. The Flash and GL mythos' are bloated enough as it is.

Batman and Superman fans have no idea how lucky they are to not have to go "Okay, but which version?" every time they get an adaptation.

The endless parade of legacy characters has gotten so stale.
    I dont disagree as i rather get more new ip like the We Are Legends imprint than more legacies that will be stuck as understudies. I think most of the Future State additions were wasted as legacies.

But i rather get more legacies than circular reboots. In hindsight the new 52 shouldve moved forward with the next generation so i rather Absolute not make the same mistake.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 04-20-2024 at 08:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    Superman with no humanity is so last decade. Doesn't sound believable at all.
    Yeah, what's the point of a Superman without humanity? Having to learn it? It just feels off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    We've heard that rumor about the Absolute Flash series being a Wally book where they have a Barry-less origin in the past, right? They might be trying to have a more streamlined origin for the movie stuff, yeah. It's understandable, although I can't say I love the idea of Barry being erased from the Flash franchise entirely for what might be DC's biggest exposure to the mainstream via film. That stings a bit.
    Honestly I'd rather give Absolute Flash to Barry, especially since Barry is in the Absolute Power event.

Superman as a complete alien could work if by "no humanity" they mean he doesn't look human instead of "he is basically Dr. Manhattan". Aliens can be compassionate as well smh. It would make his relationship with Lois or the Kents interesting, while reinforcing his immigrant allegory

About Wally, yeah, that's probably to set-up a possible origin for him in the DCU. Dick is alredy Nightwing in Gunn's universe so I don't think we can realistically see the trajectory of Wally going from Kid Flash to Flash.

Of course this is assuming this is real, which is a big if.